Author Topic: Frustrated Sutherland Seeks Sutherlands  (Read 87084 times)

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated Sutherland Seeks Sutherlands
« Reply #36 on: Monday 23 July 07 19:36 BST (UK) »
Not having much luck with ScotlandsPeople anyway! None of these people seemed to die. ::) I got Esther Sutherland's death certificate, but obviously you'd told me that information already. I view Neil/Janet Campbell's marriage on the OPR and nowhere does it mention he's a widower, so perhaps they were just lazy in Caithness. ;)

If I were to go to New Register House, would you... erm... help me? :P
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 23 July 07 22:49 BST (UK) »
Of course I would  ;D

Do you want to go this week sometime? I am between jobs so now or never if you want my undivided attention  ;)

Thursday is bad but otherwise just let me know when you want to go and I'll come with, do you want to go for a full day or a half day?

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 23 July 07 23:18 BST (UK) »
Friday or Monday would be okay I think... what's better for you? Full day would possibly be more fruitful! I'd pay for you.
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 11:03 BST (UK) »
What a gentleman  ;D

Seeing it is already Tuesday, how about we plan for Friday (that is 27th). If this is your first time to NRH then yeah a full day would make more sense. We would need to meet there about 8:30ish to make sure we get a seat, is this ok?

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 11:07 BST (UK) »
Yes it's my first time, and yes that should be fine! Excited now! ;D
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 11:15 BST (UK) »
Do you think you could meet me at Waverley Train Station at 8am? That's when my train arrives, and I'm vaguely aware of where Register House is in relation to it.
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 11:25 BST (UK) »
Sounds good, I'll wait at the top of the Waverley Steps, you've got my mobile in case you can't find me, and NRH is really close to the train station, so we'll be there with heaps of time  ;)

Jenny

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 11:33 BST (UK) »
W00t!

On a semi-related note, I'm going up to Caithness next month for a holiday, and even though I'm with my parents and my girlfriend I'm planning on visiting a few cemeteries, of course. ;) Is there any way of finding out where relations are buried other than looking at every single grave? :P I assume not, and in which case, is there a list of cemeteries somewhere?
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 11:45 BST (UK) »
There is a link for graves in Latheron: http://www.graven-images.org.uk/

SKS has transcribed them all and put pictures of the internet and all, that is how I found your Angus Sutherland he is in Latheron Old Cemetery (which is now the Clan Gunn Museum)

Grave 226
In memory of.
Angus Sutherland died at Badbea 31st October 1888 aged 85.
Wife Janet Gow died 8th November 1841 aged 28.
Erected by his son William.

You might have to e-mail the chappy who did it to figure out where grave 226 is in the cemetery as it is quite....how should I say it......overcrowded  ;)

Grave 214 was:
Sacred to the memory of.
Adam Sutherland, boat carpenter, died at Dunbeath 12th July 1845 aged 37.
Erected by his affectionate father Neil Sutherland.
Also.
Amelia Sutherland died 29th December 1876 aged 53.
Husband Donald Sutherland, shoemaker of Knockally, died 5th May 1883 aged 68.

So another rellie, otherwise the site has Latheron New Cemetery and Clyth Cemetery too, be good to have a look through them before you go.

Jenny

P.S There are burial grounds at Berriedale (New and Old), Old is very overgrown, a beautiful place to visit but hard to find anyone, and new might be a bit new for your folks, having said that it is where I found my John Nicoll (he has a table grave there) as I learnt 'New' wasn't just because they filled up the old cemetery it was for 'new' settlers in town (aka not locals).

PPS You MUST visit Badbea Clearance Village near Berriedale on the cliffs as your family lived there, there is a memorial stone and some ruins, but is amazingly moving.