Author Topic: I've got a photo  (Read 3841 times)

Online Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I've got a photo
« on: Monday 15 November 04 21:45 GMT (UK) »
I went to a little exhibition at the weekend.  It was organised by a local history group who are getting info for a book they are hoping to publish, there where a few photos and maps on display and some booklets for sale.

I bought a couple of books and sat and had a read through them last night, I was quite surprised when I came across a photo of my grandmother's uncle, he was one of the village blacksmiths and it shows him working at the forge.

I'm very happy :D :D and it just shows that you never know were your next bit of info will come from.

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: I've got a photo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Thats excellent Bee.  I remember you were saying you were going.  what a great find you had!

Fitty
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Well done Bee - lucky you!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 03:35 GMT (UK) »

That's great Bee- what a lucky find. Doesn't it just make your day when something like that turns up. ;D ;D

Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 December 04 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I recently had a similar experience to you!

My Grandmother was brought up by a William & Lucy Taylor, who she believed to be her Grandparents. (She didn't know who her parents were, and whenever she asked for her birth certificate, she was told she would be given it later).

William & Lucy owned a shop in a small village called Bisley in Gloucestershire.

I was interested in finding out where abouts their shop was in the village, so I posted a message on the village website. The 'webmaster' of the site was interested in the story about my grandmother and referred me to a book that had been written on the history of the village.

I purchased this book from amazon, I had to wait about 6 weeks for it to arrive, but it was well worth the wait.

Looking through the book, I found out where William & Lucys shop was, which had a picture of them (one that my Grandmother had kept and treasured all her life) next to a paragraph about William and their daughter Hilda.

Of course, immediately I started wondering who had given the author that photo?

From this book, I also found out that one of William & Lucys other daughters had married the villiage blacksmith Arthur Davis!

I then found an e-mail address for the author, only half expecting her to reply as the book had been written over 10 years ago.

She replied to me a few weeks ago, saying that she couldn't remember who had given her the photo, but she knew that Arthur Davis' son and grandson were still resident in the village!

All I have to do now, is to find them in the directory and pluck up the courage and drop them a line!!

It really is amazing how you come across information sometimes! :D

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff of Devon

• I have turned off notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 December 04 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Wow, lucky peeps. So what is it that they say about lightning striking?  ;)
It's GREAT to hear that a little bit of effort can pay dividends.  :D
All lookups are crown copyright

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 December 04 17:50 GMT (UK) »

All I have to do now, is to find them in the directory and pluck up the courage and drop them a line!!

Go on Rebecca!   Do it!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
Re: I've got a photo/BRENNAN
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 December 04 05:11 GMT (UK) »
thats a great story,it is suprising what you can find

I KNOW THIS INFO IS NOT EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE AFTER BUT
HAVE YOU TRIED IRELAND FOR YOUR INFO
CLARA JOSEPHINE BRENNAN - International Genealogical Index / BI

13. Clara <Brennan> - International Genealogical Index / BI

14. Clara Brennan - International Genealogical Index / BI
THERE WERE A LOT OF IRISH COMING TO UK AT THE TIME FRAME YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SYLVIA
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 December 04 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Maidmarionoops,

Thank you for your reply (I presume you were replying to me, because Clara Brenan was my Grandmothers name!)

I hadn't thought of looking in Ireland, I'll give that a go!

Rebecca

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk