Author Topic: Potato Famine Westmeath  (Read 9653 times)

Offline Anthony Daly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Potato Famine Westmeath
« on: Thursday 30 November 06 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching  The Daly's in Tyrellspass  and Kilbeggan County Westmeath.

Has anyone infomation about what happened in the potato famine especially concerning County Westmeath.

Any books on the subject  any anecdotes

Many thanks

Anthony Daly

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Potato Famine Westmeath
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 December 06 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Anthony:

Caution, this may not be pretty reading.

For a very detailed, historical account try this:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ajz

There is an increasing number of people who do not refer to this time in history as a famine but rather as the Starvation, the Great Hunger or as the Irish Holocaust.

"Potato blight, "phytophthora infestans", did spread from America to Europe in 1844, to England and then Ireland in 1845 but it didn't cause famine anywhere.  Ireland did not starve for potatoes; it starved for food.

Ireland starved because its food, from 40 to 70 shiploads per day, was removed at gunpoint by 12,000 British constables reinforced by the British militia, battleships, excise vessels, Coast Guard and by 200,000 British soldiers (100,000 at any given moment)  The attached map shows the never-before-published names and locations in Ireland of the food removal regiments (Disposition of the Army; Public Record Office, London; et al, of which we possess photocopies).  Thus, Britain seized from Ireland's producers tens of millions of head of livestock; tens of millions of tons of flour, grains, meat, poultry & dairy products; enough to sustain 18 million persons. "

http://irishholocaust.org/

Note the map also for mass grave sites and names and locations of regiments.

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Anthony Daly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 December 06 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pat  for the warning   The facts are terrible..  I am reading up Irish History to get the background.

James Daly immigrated to Australia in 1864 leaving Tyrellspass and the family farm.   I have found two family farms  (part of an estate)  one is now derelict the other just ruins..

Do you know of any books with history of County Westmeath of this period ?

Many thanks
Anthony

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 December 06 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anthony:
I don't really have any suggestions on a particular book for Westmeath, sorry. You might want to look at some of the sites with old newspaper accounts.

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Jeanne25

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 October 14 21:08 BST (UK) »
I just found out that my Daly's are from Kilbeggan, Thomas Daly and 7 of his children came to NYC between 1847-49. I think the mother might have died before they left or on the ship, I can't find her here. Thomas was born around 1802, could they be related?

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 October 14 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Jeanne25 and welcome to RootsChat.

I'm not sure what help RCrs can give you but if you set out all that you know, (names/dates/locations) I'm sure someone will try and help.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 October 14 16:03 BST (UK) »
http://www.dippam.ac.uk/eppi/documents/13119/eppi_pages/160447

This link gives Census statistics for each townland of Co Westmeath in years 1841 and 1851 so you can readily see the population changes that occurred.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e20/     This link is titled "Time to recall famine which cost Westmeath quarter of its population"