Author Topic: Re: Links: 1901 Census  (Read 4347 times)

Offline AmandaJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Links: 1901 Census
« on: Sunday 18 January 04 14:49 GMT (UK) »
What can I do to find someone who I know was alive at the time of the 1901 census, but  I can't find. I have tried changing the surname slightly etc but no avail. Any ideas?

???

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 January 04 21:10 GMT (UK) »
You could try a different combinations of information.

First name and age
age and place born
search for other related members of the family they could have been living with.
census district and first name
First name and first letter(s) of surname etc

If you are still stuggling, let us know who it is you are searching for and I am sure a few of us will give it a go.
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline AmandaJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 January 04 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the ideas, but no avail.

I think part of the problem was that she was not born in England /Wales and I am not sure of her marriage date.

I checked both maiden and married name.
Middle name included and excluded
Occupation included and excluded
Places that I thought she was living at the time.

I guess she could have been in Scotland, my mother thinks this is very unlikely or place of birth which was St Johns Newfoundland. There seem to be no records of her, I haven't found her husband yet either, which brings me back to the Scottish thought as his decendants were from Glasgow, not sure if he was born in Hull or Glasgow.

Has anyone any ideas. The only certificates I have are death for both and a second marriage for the wife, which was 1925.

Offline bloo-peepers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 February 04 20:13 GMT (UK) »
 :)  Hi, all I can advise, is "keep trying"..........I was looking for my grandads family, I knew the area they lived in and the dates of birth for the parents and 11 children, but could not find them anywhere, it turned out that instead of being under the surname NATION, it had been transcribed wrongly as MARION!!!!!  I finally found them by using the more unusual christian name of Oliver, and by using his place of birth and exact age found the family that way.  If one of your ancestors has an unusuall christian name it is worth a try.

p.s. it took a while and lots of emails, but my ancestors are now on the 1901 census with their original surname
 :D
Best wishes
Di xxx

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 February 04 14:25 GMT (UK) »

http://www.pro.gov.uk/pathways/census/
"This web exhibition uses words, pictures and documents to open a door onto life in 1901. It accompanied the release in January 2002 of the 1901 census for England and Wales - an unrivalled resource for exploring our rich heritage - which was made available for the first time online."

It's very very good!  ;D
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 February 04 14:13 GMT (UK) »

When using the site to look up just the one person or household, use a voucher to pay for your session.

Vouchers are valid for 6 months from first use, and while it is still a fiver to lay out, there is no minimum spend in each use. Be aware though that looked-at pages still expire in 48 hours.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.