Author Topic: WW1 servicemen graves South Africa  (Read 19909 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
WW1 servicemen graves South Africa
« on: Saturday 02 December 06 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I have just acquired a booklet listing all of the 1096 graves of WW1 servicemen who are buried in the Cape Province. The quality of information varies but in many case gives service number, date of death, next of kin, place of birth. In quite a few the cause of death is also given - depressingly often it was from disease and the Spanish influenza epidemic accounts for most of those. Many members of the Medical Corps died at that time.
Listed are 815 from South Africa units, 78 from UK units, 64 Royal Navy, 50 from Australia and a scattering of others.
This is not indexed except alphabetically in cemeteries but if you would like me to look for a name please give me whatever information you have and have a little patience. I think these graves are not in the CWGC lists.

Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk