Author Topic: Coincidence? (Charles Newman)  (Read 1189 times)

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Coincidence? (Charles Newman)
« on: Sunday 03 December 06 21:26 GMT (UK) »
In 1881, my great great grandmother, Mary Jane Hardman was a domestic servant in Church Road (i think?), Kings Norton, Worcestershire.  The head of the household was Charles P Newman, aged 30.  His occuptaion was Bank Cashier (I thinik!).  All the families on this page appear to have servants.

I was relooking at my bmd certificates.  On the birth certificate of my great grandmother, Elizabeth Phoebe Burrows (the second child of Mary Jane Hardman), the name of the registrar is Charles Newman.  The birth was registered in Wednesbury. 

Is this just a coincidence?  I know that it's not a big deal really, but I found it ironic when I noticed it. 

Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams
Buckinghamshire - Burrows, Woodward, Adams
Ireland (Dublin/Malahide/Cork) - O'Driscoll, Henvy, Gallaghan

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coincidence? (Charles Newman)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 December 06 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prozac

From such interesting things does our family history evolve - many of my ancestors worked as servants (those that weren't ag labs  :)  ) sometimes in the homes of the rich and famous - learning about these folks gives one a second hand relationship to another world  ;D  ;D

Apart from that, I have no idea if registrars were part time positions - someone else will  no doubt post some information on same - but I looked up your man on the census & he stayed in banking. I didn't quickly find him in 1891, but by 1901 he was a Bank Manager in Coventry. If you could find out which bank, there may well be archival records containing more details about his working life.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk