Author Topic: advice please on birth in st asaph 1807  (Read 3701 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
advice please on birth in st asaph 1807
« on: Monday 04 December 06 15:59 GMT (UK) »
hi ...just found an ancestor ellen oakes in census in liverpool.....my surname is oakes...traced my ancestors to pre 1760 in a small village in cheshire named "backford".....backford is abt 6 miles outside chester........in the census,ellen oakes 3 daughters are all born in backford....so ellen and daughters are definitely related.....there were 3 bros in backford in 1780`s who all had children......on the census it states ellen oakes ..head     st asaph,flintshire.....i`ve worked her year of birth to be 1807.....no sign whatsoever of her marriage to "oakes" in backford or cheshire,so i presume they may have married in st asaph or maybe ellen came to liverpool to work..married...and went back to liverpool when her husband died.....her and her grown up unmarried daughters ran a very large boarding house in ullet road,liverpool....where would i find marriage (pre 1837 records) record for st asaph???  thanks  and regards...allan :-\
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline fairlane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: advice please on birth in st asaph 1807
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 December 06 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not sure if I'm on the same track as you but these seem to refer to the same family.
On the 1881 census RG11/3651/120/75 Ellen Oakes is in Liverpool with Eleanor, Harriet E and Annie.

1871 RG10/3742/9/12 Ellin Oakes 63 no place of birth mentioned is a Publican in Lower Bebington with Ellenor 37, Harriot 34 and Annie 19 - all born Cheshire

1861 RG9/2637/19/6 Ellen Oakes 52 licenced Victualler, Lower Bebington is with Elleanor 27 b. Backford, Harriet 24, b. Caldicot and Annie 9 b. Bebington.

1851 HO 107/2173/307/14 in Backford has Richard Oakes, farmer with Eleanor 44 b. Malpas, Eleanor 17 b. Backford and Harriet E 14 b. Backford.

There is an IGi member submitted marriage for Richard Oakes and Eleanor Harbridge 08 Apr 1828 at Chester St. John.

If this turns out to be your family there are also two baptisms on the Cheshire Project site for John bap. 19 March 1830 - Richard and Ellinor Oakes (farmer) and Mary bap. 19 March 1830 - Richard and Ellenor Oakes (farmer)

I'm visiting Ruthin R.O. tomorrow so if I have time I'll look for any Ellen/Eleanor born c.1807 in St Asaph.

regards,
Fairlane
Edwards - Cheshire/Denbighshire
Dale, Lloyd, Potts, Vaughan - Cheshire
Humpherson - Shropshire
Ludlam - Yorkshire/Lancashire
Beasley - Buckinghamshire
Dick, Laird, Lambie, McInnes, McKechnie, Robertson, Semple - Lanark/Renfrew
Jordan - Drogheda
Maddison, Thirlwell, Nevin- Co. Durham/Northumberland
Walker - Yorkshire/Notts;
Jackson - Westmorland

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 December 06 20:59 GMT (UK) »
thanks fairlane....i couldn`t find ellen/ellinor or richard on cheshire bmd`s...will go back and check cheshbmd before 1837...see if i can find richards birth...cheers....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 December 06 21:12 GMT (UK) »
hi fairlane.....bit of a let down,,,but still good info....richard was born in backford in 1795....his father was william oakes and mother margaret griffiths....william was my 4xg grandfathers brother.....my 4xg grandfather was ralph oakes...there was also joseph oakes,another brother.....i was hoping richard was ralphs son....never mind....but thankyou very much for your help and offer to look up marriage....without your input,i would have struggled.....ralph/william and joseph oakes all had children babtised in backford,cheshire....but none of the brothers appear to have been born in cheshire as they don`t appear on chesh bmd`s.....thanks very much....allan

Offline fairlane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Never mind - we all go down the wrong way sometimes but it's all family history. Pity because I struck lucky in Ruthin with Ellin's baptism in St. Asaph.
"Dec 28 1808 - Ellin daughter of John Harbridge of Bodeugan and Mary his wife was baptised."  Perhaps it will help someone!

regards, Fairlane.
Humpherson - Shropshire
Jordan - Drogheda
Jackson - Westmorland

Offline fairlane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Forgive me if you've already checked but www.familysearch.org has an Oakes family with Joseph, Ralph and William born in the 1760's in Middlewich to Ralph Oakes and Mary. C.089951 in the batch number box will bring them all up.

regards, Fairlane
Humpherson - Shropshire
Jordan - Drogheda
Jackson - Westmorland

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 14:56 GMT (UK) »
thanks fairlane......i`ll check it out now.....also found thomas/mary and samuel oakes in backford ...all married /had children babtised in backford about same time....seems that ralph/william/joseph/thomas/samuel and mary oakes could be siblings...also,did you notice in 1881 census ellen oakes aged 75 head ST ASAPH......1851 census .ellen oakes wife MALPAS.why conflicting places of birth??.regards...allan

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 16:06 GMT (UK) »
hi fairlane. 8)...tell me what you think....i had   ralph/william/joseph/thomas/mary and samuel oakes in backford.....your suggestion in middlewich had
ralph/william/joseph/thomas/mary/samuel/john/hannah/richard......almost certain its my family....whats your view??...how can i confirm???.....regards...allan :)

Offline fairlane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan

I'm fairly new to all this but find f.h. fascinating. My gut feeling is that it is the same family but that's not good enough. Even if any of the younger members were around in 1841 the place of birth is not mentioned - only County. If the same names keep recurring it's a pointer but perhaps some of the Rootchatters who've done lots of research can help out!!

regards, Fairlane
Humpherson - Shropshire
Jordan - Drogheda
Jackson - Westmorland