Author Topic: SA look up  (Read 2815 times)

Offline meggles

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SA look up
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 21:07 GMT (UK) »
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Thank you everyone for so much help, It is so exciting to get so much info all at once and so much help.
Cando I would love a photo of the graves but only when you have a chance. I envy you, I love walking through old cemeteries doing the hunt, but here in Brisbane I have no connections.
Thanks again everyone
Megan
Harris - Denbury Devon
Wotton - Ideford Devon
Chamberlain - Kent
Burgess - Sussex
Savage - South Australia
Wilks - South Australia
Horrigan - South Australia
Hodgson - Lancashire
Martin - St Stithians, Cornwall
Mathers - Liverpool
Riley/Royle - Lancashire

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 December 06 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Megan

Today was the first chance I had to have a look at the small cemetery at Wellington.  We were returning to our farm and my hubby said would you like to have a quick look for those graves :o

It is a very, very small cemetery which you access through private property, on a hill overlooking the Murray River flats and the River in the distance.  Many of the graves are unmarked but we found the Wilks graves - there are three or four headstones propped up on what appears to be four graves together.  I can remember Joseph, wife Emma and child and George.  There are a couple of names that aren't Wilks.  I didn't have pen, paper or camera.  It looks as though someone has kept the area tidy - all the pine needles swept etc. 

I will be going passed the cemetery next weekend and will take photos then.

Cheers
cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 January 07 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Megan

First time we have passed the cemetery in daylight today so photgraphed the graves but have camera on charge so can download and resize.  The grave has three MI's.  Sun was in wrong place for the best pics and I will return later in the week and try to decipher some of the inscriptions that didn't photograph all that well. Will email to you in the am.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk