Author Topic: East Yorkshire name interests.  (Read 11258 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
East Yorkshire name interests.
« on: Tuesday 05 December 06 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Is anyone researching the following:

Hodgson ( Sutton / Sculcoates, Hull)
Crawforth - Sutton / Easington/Otteringham
Longhorn - Sproatley / Aldborough
Greenhorn - Sproatley
Major - Drypool
Robinson - Easington
Penington - North Newbald
Moore, Cartwright, Torr - Hull ( various areas)

This is the furthest north my partner's ancestry has gone so far. I'm not sure whether he likes the thought of having Yorkshire blood but I say it is probably his saving grace!

Cheers,

Jen

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: East Yorkshire name interests.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen

I have gg grandparents, Samuel Longhorn who married Hannah Hodgson in Hedon in 1842, any connection?

Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 December 06 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if they are connected but my partner's Hodgson link is through John Hodgson who married Margaret Longhorn Crawforth in 1866.

Her parents were James Crawforth and Jane Longhorn, who was the daughter of Samuel Longhorn and Mary Greenshaw. I suppose it is possible that your Samuel was her brother, though I have no record of him - just lots of sisters and one brother, George.

Do you have any more information on the family?

Regards,

Jen

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline Lin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Endure Forte, Crawforth Motto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 January 08 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,
I'm researching the CRAWFORTH family in the Hull area.  Mine are from in and around Paull and keyingham. 

Don't know if we have a link or not would be great to find out.

Lin

Hi,

Is anyone researching the following:

Hodgson ( Sutton / Sculcoates, Hull)
Crawforth - Sutton / Easington/Otteringham
Longhorn - Sproatley / Aldborough
Greenhorn - Sproatley
Major - Drypool
Robinson - Easington
Penington - North Newbald
Moore, Cartwright, Torr - Hull ( various areas)

This is the furthest north my partner's ancestry has gone so far. I'm not sure whether he likes the thought of having Yorkshire blood but I say it is probably his saving grace!

Cheers,

Jen

CRAWFORTH = Surrey, Yorkshire, Middlesex, Olean NY USA, Canada<br />ODD = Surrey, Kent, Oxfordshire, Warwickshire, Kaysville Utah USA, Canada, New Zealand<br />ODDBOY = Kent<br />KENT = Surrey, Sussex, Kent, Lincolnshire<br />SINFIELD = Surrey, Bedfordshire<br />CRADDUCK = Surrey, Middlesex, Olean NY USA <br />MUSHET = Kent, Scotland<br />WELLS = Kent<br />MARLEY = Kent<br />JAMES = Surrey<br />HUBBARD = Surrey

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 January 08 18:20 GMT (UK) »
My partner's Crawforths go back to his 5 x great grandfather:

i) Richard Crawforth, who was born around 1700 in South Yorkshire, possibly Easington. ( wife Mary Robinson)

ii)William Crawforth, born 1737, Easington, married Sarah Major ( born 1750)

iii)James Crawforth, 1797, Sutton, Hull, married Jane Longhorn ( they had offspring - James, Margaret, Robert, Sarah, George, William)

iv) Margaret Longhorn Crawforth, 1841, Sutton, Hull, married John Hodgson

That's about as much as I know about them as the name then dies out in my partner's line.

Hope it is of some help and please do let me know if you can see a connection. It isn't such a common name, so I imagine there will be a lonk somewhere.

Regards,

Jen

Offline Lin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Endure Forte, Crawforth Motto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 January 08 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,
Thanks for getting back to me. 
I've heard of what we call the LONGHORN connection and I think I have a copy of part of tree in my filebox.

I've had some people thinking we may be related anothers thinking not. :-\

Not been able to find a link so far though it would be great if we could I think there is one somewhere.

Will dig out the CRAWFORTH tree for that branch and have another delve and look see

Regards
Lin

CRAWFORTH = Surrey, Yorkshire, Middlesex, Olean NY USA, Canada<br />ODD = Surrey, Kent, Oxfordshire, Warwickshire, Kaysville Utah USA, Canada, New Zealand<br />ODDBOY = Kent<br />KENT = Surrey, Sussex, Kent, Lincolnshire<br />SINFIELD = Surrey, Bedfordshire<br />CRADDUCK = Surrey, Middlesex, Olean NY USA <br />MUSHET = Kent, Scotland<br />WELLS = Kent<br />MARLEY = Kent<br />JAMES = Surrey<br />HUBBARD = Surrey

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 January 08 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if they are connected but my partner's Hodgson link is through John Hodgson who married Margaret Longhorn Crawforth in 1866.

Her parents were James Crawforth and Jane Longhorn, who was the daughter of Samuel Longhorn and Mary Greenshaw. I suppose it is possible that your Samuel was her brother, though I have no record of him - just lots of sisters and one brother, George.

Do you have any more information on the family?

Regards,

Jen

Hi Jen,

Sorry about the late reply, I've been trying to find a connection but without any success.  There are that many brothers and sisters with the same names, it's a minefield trying to marry them off to the right person.   If I find a connection I'll be back in touch.

Bee
 :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gryphon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 February 09 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

I've have a few Hodgson's and one Longhorn in my family tree, through a connection with the villages of Holderness such as Easington and Kilnsea.  The only Longhorn I have is a Matilda Longhorn who married a man named Medforth Tennison.  Someone on this thread has already mentioned a Samuel Longhorn who is buried in Easington Churchyard and I'm trying to make the connection with Matilda through this, as I have found that I am related (so far), to about 35 people who are buried in that small graveyard.  For those with a strong family connection to the villages of the Holderness coast, I advise you to look at the Easington Headstone project.  It a website that plans to list and picture all the headstones in the churchyard up until it's closure order in 1883.  The majority of the grave stones are in impeccable condition given their age.  The site is still very much a 'work in progress' with new names added frequently. If you don't find what you're looking one day It's worth popping back another.   Please note,  I have no affiliation with the author of the page nor the page itself. I merely mention it as it has been invaluable to me in my family research and hope it can benefit some of you guys in the same way.  The link is below.

Love & Light  Gryphon

http://www.skeals.co.uk/Projects/Easington%20Churchyard%20Gravestones%20Project.html

Offline jola

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 03:43 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother was married to a John Hodgson born Kilnsea in 1865.  They were together in 1891 census in Hull but by 1901 she was with my great-grandfather William Gibbins.  She kept the Hodgson name as they never marry until she married another man John Andrew in the 1930s.

I have no idea what happened to John and would like to find out.