Author Topic: William O'Connor/Ellen Foott  (Read 37883 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William O'Connor/Ellen Foote
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
Just in case you have to do more searching I'll explain how I got them so quickly  :)
1911 census- I searched for William Connor (not O'Connor) age 31 in Co. Cork. The search brought up only 5 Williams- 3 Connor + 2 O'Connor. If William was born in 1881 he would either be 31 or 30 years old at time of census, so I checked the one in Ardmore first and he had a wife named Ellen. Ellen (and William) married 7 years which meant married 1903 or 1904.
Then went to index of civil registrations and search for Ellen Foote marriage (as her name was far more uncommon)- Ellen Foott married 1904 in Kinsale district. Next did search for William O'Connor (and no other details)- 3,314 entries.
Refined search (at top of page) by place (Cork)- 504 entries.
-Idea is to find a match for Ellen Foott's marriage-
Refined search by date (1900-1909)- 63 entries.
Refined search by event (marriage)- 14 entries.
Went through the 14 records and got a match!

There are quite a few Foott's in Cork which you might want to follow up later in 1911 census, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie McLaughlin (Mcloughlin) & James Harkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 September 09 21:03 BST (UK) »
Infomation after discussing it with family relatives seems to be correct . I did talk to my cousin about the name Connor on the census and matching names but he thought they were not the correct ones we were looking for. Why it is Connor on the census & not O'Connor i will now hope to find out maybe a lesson not just for me but other fellow Root Chatter's once again thank you 
aghadowey

Little Annie
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 September 09 21:07 BST (UK) »
It is quite common to find variations in Irish surnames like Connor/O'Connor, McShane/MacShane, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William O'Connor/Ellen Foote/Foott
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 September 09 17:34 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that some one can help me on this one,it gives a Thomas Maloney in the 1911 census living with the family aged 1 .
He is given as cousin but who are his parents, the house they are all living at is House no 5 Ardmore Monks town i believe it may have been a farm called The Hill not to sure on that one though
Little Annie
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William O'Connor/Ellen Foott
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 October 09 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Here are the records i received back from Roscommon, Ellen Foott born 1/1/1884, Father Cornelius , Mother Mary maiden name was( Wade) in Kilmoney.
Residence of informant was Margaret Cogan, Kilnaglary

Ellen & William place of marriage was at St Bridget, crosshaven ,Carrigaline.
His address is given Ringaskiddy & Ellen as Kilmoney ,William's father also William was given as deceased.
Ellen's father was  Cornelius Foott, witnesses were William Riordan & Nora Wade,
date of marriage was 7th febuary 1904

Offline ftcorkmdb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 03:37 GMT (UK) »
My database includes Ringaskiddy marriages and baptisms, 1795-1880, Tracton baptisms, 1803-1880, Tracton marriages, 1841-1880 and Kilmoney (Carrigaline) and Crosshaven marriages and Baptisms, 1826-1880.  Connors were at Ringaskiddy from 1795.  There were several Cornelius Footes in these parishes, and Wades at Kilmoney.  A Thomas Wade, land agent to the Sarsfields' (landlords) Kilmoney property married a Mary Foote in 1872, with several children born by 1880.  Write to me via this website's personal message apparatus and tell me if you have Excel.  I will then e-mail you an Excel sheet showing Connor, Foote and Wade connections.
Frank Thompson
P.S. There was never a Presbyterian church at Tracton, and I don't see any Footes or Connors buried in the Tracton graveyard.

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 May 10 09:56 BST (UK) »
Could anyone give me infomation on who would be most likely to have records held on William from his time in care?
                                                    Little Annie

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 31 May 10 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Little Annie,

There are a few orphanages named St Josephs in Cork.  They were also known as industrial schools. 

One which might be relevant to you would be St Josephs Industrial school for boys, Passage West, Co Cork.  Passage West is quite near to Carrigaline and Ringaskiddy.  Google St Josephs industrial school for boys Passage West and you get a lot of history- very sad and tragic unfortunately.  Have a look at http://www.nationalarchives.ie/research/health.html .  There was also a St Josephs Industrial school in Greenmount, Cork City.

On some of the sites they say that the Mercy nuns who ran some of the orphanages did not keep any records, and some of the inspectors reports were destroyed.

You could also try contacting the Health Board in Cork www.hse.ie  and see if they could help with your search.

Good luck

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 31 May 10 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Celtic Liberty
thank you for help & advice maybe i will have a little luck and finally find out about William and both his parents
                                                     Little Annie