Author Topic: Annie McLaughlin Buncrana  (Read 69648 times)

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie McLaughlin (Mcloughlin) & James Harkin
    • View Profile
Re: Annie McLaughlin Buncrana
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Big Pat
With the help of The family history & genealogy of Arden Gremmart & Eva Doherty, i have made contact with the grandson of Michael Harkins.
I have contacted him before but did not know the connection back then with Sarah & Mary ( Potts ) McLaughlin from Fallask,  i know nothing about the nick name as it is new to me.
 It can take a Very long time to trace your relatives and get very very frustrating, but now and again something pops up just by high lighting  a name i.e Charles Harkin
                                                                                                               Little Annie
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline big pat on

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Annie,
I met sons and daughters of the original Michael Harkins -who was settled in Malin and was a shoemaker
to trade. One of them-Hughie- spent the last years of his life in the rest home in Clonmany. He had a
wealth of local history and was more than willing to share it. Unfortunately we did not give him enough of our time when he was alive.I would be interested in finding out some more about the grandson of Michael
Harkin you mentioned, especially if he would be interested in talking to his cousin,
thanks-
pat.

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 22:04 GMT (UK) »
i have sent you a private message go to the top of your page
                                                                                         Pat
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline 20 STONE NED

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 28 June 12 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
 My Grandfather(John McCahill & Mary McCahill) lived in Meendoran next to the Harkins home place.My grandmother was Mary Donaghue /Donaghy from Clenagh a daughter of George and Kate Donaghy. Mary was a first cousin of Mary Mclaughlin (Potts) from Fallisk . Do you have any information on the connection between the Donaghys and the Mclaughlins. My father always called the Harkins his cousins ?

Thanks in anticipation
20 stone ned

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 28 June 12 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hello 20 stone Ned
If i have another connection to the Family thats great just when i was about to give up !! . I am not to sure yet about the connection i will have to ask my limited family connections  fingers crossed we will be able to put 2 & 2 together .
                                  Little Annie                               

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 29 June 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ned
Did you ever hear the name Cassie Donaghy & her mother or grandmother Rose. Cassie used to stop at my grandmothers house in Derry while she worked i think in the shirt factory ? she would then head back down to cleanagh ? for the week end with the family.
Her brother was killed in WW2 i think in Scotland ??? the McLaughlin connection may only be through the Harkin connection ie may only be through my GG mother Sarah potts Mclaughin sister in the posts above . The info on Cassie comes from my Auntie
                                               Little Annie
The picture i have added is  Sarah (potts) McLaughlin her daughter Bridgit ,& her daughter who's name fails me at present

Offline 20 STONE NED

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 29 June 12 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie
            Thanks for the info ,I got some more info myself today so Iwill have to sift through the census detail and try and make some sense of it.There seems to be a Doherty connection in the mix, as well ,between the two families.

Reading through the old posts I remember visiting the Harkins in Malin and hearing the Kevin Barry stories.

Chat again soon thanks. Ned

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 29 June 12 23:30 BST (UK) »
Was you born in donegal NED  or just visted !! i have noticed that there are two family graves from Fallask.

Offline 20 STONE NED

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 30 June 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

I am in Clonmany at the moment ,the only one to return. Are the graves for Mcclaughlin or Donaghy in Cockhill?

Best wishes Ned (Ned ,my great grandfather ,carried a 20 stone cornsack from Clonmany to Meendoran without stopping)