Author Topic: Parish of Cenarth - Harris & James  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Critter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Parish of Cenarth - Harris & James
« on: Monday 11 December 06 18:29 GMT (UK) »
John Harris b. abt. 1777 married Mary James b. 1778.  Marriage 2 Aug 1798 at Llandyfriog,Cardiganshire, Wales.  They lived in Pontgarreg for a while then they emigrated in 1819 on the Brig Fanny from Carmarthen to Halifax, NS,Canada.  Three children came with them, David, Theophilus and Rachel.

I am trying to find John and Mary's parents so that I can add more data from Wales.

Any assistance will be most appreciated.  I am also happy to share my research (about 1200 records from North America) with anyone who is interested in Harris or Davis click on the web icon.

Moderator comment: duplicate thread
John Harris, Mary James of Cardiganshire or Carmarthenshire.  Parish of Cenarth.
David and Mary Davies of Carmarthenshire or Cardiganshire.  All emigrated from Carmarthen in 1819 on the Brig Fanny to Nova Scotia.  WHO WHERE THEY? Who was John Perry b. London 1563 marr. Devonshire 1588 had a son Edmund b. 1598 in Devonshire.  Edmund emigrated to Mass,USA abt 1636.  Thank you for any assistance.

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Parish of Cenarth - Harris & James
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 10 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Are you  certain about it being Llandyfriog which is a separate parish situated north of  the River Teifi,  and now looked after by the vicar of Newcastle Emlyn Carms. There is also a church at Capel Tigwydd which might be a separate parish although it doesn't seem to be listed as such on the website below.

As far as I know Pontgarreg is quite some distance away, might  be Llangrannog.

http://www.westwalesgenealogy.i12.com/cardsparishes.htm
Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Woodhouse: Montgomeryshire

Booth, Braddock, Drabble, Hatton, Henshaw, Whitehead: Tameside and Cheshire

Offline ynysygwas

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish of Cenarth - Harris & James
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 15 12:17 GMT (UK) »
I realise this is a very old thread but in case anyone else is looking.
Some of my forebears came from Atpar/Adpar in Llandyfriog parish, Ceredigion.
My great........grandmother was Esther T. James (b.1776) who, I believe, named one of her sons (my great.........grandfather) Theophilus after her father. There is mention of Theophilus James's daughter, Esther, marrying Samuel Griffiths in a Welsh book of independent church records.
 My great great grandfather was also a Theophilus James (1839-1822) and my great grandmother was Margaret Theophilus James before marrying and passed the Theophilus on to my grandfather.

I think Mary from Llandyfriog must have been a sister or close cousin of Esther who also named her son after her father or uncle (if Theo had a brother!). People back then seemed to name every child after an ancestor. There couldn't have been that many Jameses in Llandyfriog for them to not have been related!

The Jameses in Atpar were a family of curriers, tanners and saddle makers.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Cenarth/Pigot1830

Also lists a Theophilus Griffiths as a tanner making me speculate whether he might have had a daughter who married a Mr James and named a son after grandfather Griffiths thus keeping the Theophilus name in the family. It survived in my family until my grandfather died in 1960!

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21157