Author Topic: Do anyone know these people??  (Read 5867 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Do anyone know these people??
« on: Monday 11 December 06 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters,

Do anyone know these people or are related to them in some way?

Please do drop a line to me!  :)

1) Alexander Armstrong & Catherine Reid

2) Hugh Mallon, son of Hugh Mallon the Thatcher, & Margaret Armstrong (daughter of Couple#1)

3) John Jordan & Sarah McCarry

4) George Jordan, son of Couple #3, & Alice Magee

5) Felix Magee & Isabella Scott (Parents of Alice Magee)

6) Felix Magee's Father is Felix Magee but who is his Mum?

I am trying to find mainly death records on these people-

Hugh Mallon & Margaret Mallon nee Armstrong,

John Jordan & Sarah Jordan nee McCarry,

Alexander Armstrong & Catherine Armstrong nee Reid.

It is a bit difficult to trace them without census information. I know most of them are located in various spots between Glenavy, Ballymacward, Budore, and Tullyrusk.

They are of either Protestant and Catholic backgrounds. Two were converted to Catholicism (please do not ask me why--I was very surprised to find such records!!).

With one kind Rootchatter's help, I managed to find these people in Griffith's Valuations. But it is only for 1861-62. All of them were farmers which helped a lot!

Your help would be most gratefully received!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Do anyone know these people??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 06 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

George & Alice Jordan had:

1) Felix Jordan who was born in Scotland

2) John Jordan bn in Co Antrim

3) Isabella Jordan ditto

4) Richard Jordan ditto

My two generations of Jordans "commuted" back to and from Scotland to Ireland. Somehow, they always managed to return to Ireland to stay put.

First generation returned to their roots--the farms. Second generation--most of them settled in Belfast.

The rest of the family stay put where they had been since when???

Cheers,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 06 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

My Mallons--

Hugh Mallon and Margaret Mallon nee Armstrong had:

1) Alexander Mallon

2) Isabella Mallon

3) Rosena Mallon

I think Margaret may had died and Hugh re-married to other woman--this need to be verified!

Possible second wife was Elizabeth Hamill. Hugh and she went on having three or four more children.

Hugh Mallon was a farmer in Budore then moved to another area in Glenavy (all of this based on my memory--need to check with my notes!). Then, his son went on as a farmer.

I am hoping someone could spot them and tell me he or she is related to these people.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Do you need me to put up more information here?

Do let me know!

Regards,

Tees

Offline cos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 January 07 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tees,looking at the info you have here and having researched this area and for that time period I could advise you on the following.
1-There were a large number of conversions from the various protestant faiths to Catholicism in Victorian times in Ireland,so cast an eye over all Church records.
2-There is a small inter-denominational cemetery at Tullyrusk which goes back to even before Victorian times.-Well worth a visit .
3-The names Jordan,Magee ,and Scott are very common in this area-i.e. Stoneyford,Tullyrusk,Dundrod,Lisburn,Glenavy.
4-The church of Ireland in Glenavy-St.Aidans-has a large ,well -kept cemetery and goes back to the 18th century.
5- in Victorian times these 2 graveyards plus the Rock Cemetery at Stoneyford would have been where most local people were buried..
If you ever decide to come over send me an Email and I`ll bring you round these cemeteries which are close to me.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 January 07 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cos

Thank you very much for replying to this post.

I already have done all of what you suggested. :)

Now you give me another possible cemetery to look up. Will ask a relative or a friend if they could kindly do a bit of searching--preferably contact the church before driving to the cemetery. (I am not sure if my uncle is up to it. :) A friend, a maybe.)

I just put this post up in the case there is someone on this site may be researching same people as me.

Researching Irish ancestors is a bit difficult and terribly expensive, that is my feeling so far.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cos

Would you please give me the name of good book on Victorian "conversion to the Catholicism" in Ireland? If you know of one, that would be great!

This is the subject I would like to know more about. I appreciate the fact one does learn new things every day!

Regarding the Rock Cemetery at Stoneyford, a kind rootschatter here did attempt to go there for me and only to be informed that the vast majority of burials were very recent.

We were discussing about the Blaris Cemetery, what's your assessment on this?

The reason I am asking here is that I am fairly sure that my Mallons would not be buried in the Catholic cemetery as we (my relative and I) did try to find their burials at the Hannahstown Church. Unfortunately, they are not there but their grandchildren were buried there.

Tullyrusk Cemetery is out because we were there as well.
Other branches of our family were buried there but not the Mallons.

I am starting to wonder if my Rootschatter friend may be spot on Blaris Cemetery--the reason I think they may be buried there because I noted that they were married in that area. I was going by their civil registration marriage record. If I were able to find my Mallons, it possibly will lead me to two more branches of my family who I believe were staunch Protestants (no offence here).

I thank you for your kind offer but I live thousands of miles way from Ireland.  :(

My family certainly do not make it any easier, don't they?? (I know I am not the only one here. That helps!!)

Awaiting your further reply with much interest.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 10:05 GMT (UK) »
In case this helps
From www.historyfromheadstones.com/
Ahoghill Old Ahoghill Ahoghill JORDAN   
Ahoghill Old Ahoghill Ahoghill JORDAN   
Carnmoney CI Carnmoney Carnmoney JORDAN   
Friar's Bush Shankill Belfast JORDAN. CALLAGHAN   
Friar's Bush Shankill Belfast JORDAN, LAVERTY, O'HAYER, O'HALLORAN   
Milltown Shankill Belfast O'CONNOR, MOORE, STOKESBERRY, JORDAN Friar's Bush Shankill Belfast O'NEILL, MALLON   
Clifton Street Shankill Belfast KENNEDY, CAMPBELL, MATTHEWS, MULLAN, MALLON, CUMMINGS, RODGERS   
Aughnahoy RC Portglenone Slievenagh DALY, MALLON   
Duneane CI Duneane Lismacloskey MALLON   
Magheranagaw Aghagallon Derrymore MALLON
As a starter I think all the Friars Bush records are published in book form, try history from tombstones big brother site Ulster Historical Foundation.
Good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I have tried there--it was not good because you have to guess which record(s) are yours.

4 pounds per record is pretty steep if you want to continue searching all through their records, it surely would break my piggy bank!! :) To this date, I was not successful with their headstones.

What's more I knew where my Jordans (not earliest Jordans) were buried and other one family. This cemetery is not listed on their records.

So, it is a possibility that it is the same with my other ancestors. But where? That needs some detective work. :)

Again, thank you for your helpful suggestion.

Kind regards,

Tees