Author Topic: Link: NLW "The Blue Books" online - The State of the Welsh Nation in 1847  (Read 14687 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The National Library for Wales has online the Government report known as the "Treacherous Blue Books" published in 1847, it describes the impressions of three commissioners of the state of Wales and Welsh education in particular.

The report was hated by the Welsh, but is now seen as a trigger that caused many to attempt to improve their lot through education and particularly through the medium of the English language.

http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=thebluebooks&0=

Organised by region.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Link: NLW "The Blue Books" online - The State of the Welsh Nation in 1847
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that link Arranroots. I knew it was coming online but had forgotten about it  :(

I'd read excerpts of some parishes before but the whole Report is something else. I was particularly interested in Appendix E of Vol 3 (well my ancestors were all from the North!) which gives the population size and numbers and % who spoke English for each parish.

Thank you  :-*

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 14:14 GMT (UK) »
What a wonderful insight into the times - I could not put it down so to speak.

Thanks for the link.

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 14:17 GMT (UK) »
I know what you mean Peter - there is an account of Hay school as a model, which intrigues me as families I have researched would have been there at the time.

I have to say that the inspectors would probably find me wanting - as a pupil, let alone a teacher - my gospel knowlege and "rule of three" is a bit rusty!  ;D

Gadget, I didn't know it was coming, but someone else's thread led me to the website where it was flagged up... you know how it goes!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the link, I look forward to reading it, particularly the sections on Cardiganshire and Montgomeryshire.
Hwyl, Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Great! Thanks for that; will read it at my leisure. Co-incidentally, I was reminded of "The Blue Books" earlier today whilst reading Alexander Cordell's "This Proud and Savage Land".

Mike
Thomas (Radnor & Carmarthen), Evans (Radnor, Carmarthen & Monmouth), Jones (Radnor & Brecon), Jenkins (Radnor), Arthur (Radnor), Griffiths (Glamorgan), Richards (Glamorgan), Phelps (Monmouth), Probert (Brecon), Davies (Brecon), Holmes (Monmouth), Hunt (Oxon), Davis (Oxon & Bucks), Ridgeway (Oxon), Church (Bucks), Cordani (Italy).

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 June 08 10:49 BST (UK) »
Welsh Library Rescources
http://librarywales.org/e-resources
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 July 08 12:37 BST (UK) »
*sigh* ... the reply's arrived ...

It seems I'm not going to get anywhere, unless I'm willing to make a trip halfway across the world, to visit Wales

:'(
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Peter Evans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 06:11 BST (UK) »
For those outside Wales (in Wales for that matter), the Blue Books are found on the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080108172352/http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=thebluebooks

Fascinating information, and a good indication why some of my ancestors marked their marriage certificate with a cross.