Author Topic: George GWYNN and Mary Ann HOBBS  (Read 14602 times)

Offline HazelWiley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George GWYNN and Mary Ann HOBBS
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 24 December 06 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave and Janet
Wishing you both a very merry Christmas. ;D
Dave have you been able to find the baptism for Thomas an Ann Withers, Peter Withers older brother and sister on the Chilton Foliatt records. I think they may have another mother or that their parents were not married till after their births,
Is there another marriage for Thomas Withers senior.
Cheers from a lovely warm summers day here in New Zealand :)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 25 December 06 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Not yet - record office is closed for holiday  :D
It's on my list if I have a chance to get there before leaving for warmer climes  8)
Merry Xmas, Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline HazelWiley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 25 December 06 23:30 GMT (UK) »
 :)Thank you Dave
Much appreciated.Thomas and Ann Withers had a son William Stone Palk Withers. William then called his oldest son George Stone Withers. Maybe that is a clue to Ann Osmonds maiden name.
We have had a fine Chistmas Day but I have picked up a virus and am feeling seedy. No doubt it will run its course.
Thank you again
Hazel :D

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 28 December 06 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hazel, sorry to hear you are off colour perhaps I can cheer you up  ;D

I found the following baptisms in Chilton Foliatt
19 May 1805 William George Stone Palk Withers son of Thomas and Ann
8 Feb 1807 Peter Withers
2 Jul 1809 Martha Withers dau of Thomas and Ann
No more

Unable to find out more on Ann Osmond (previous married name Garlick).   There was no previous marriage for her in Chilton Foliat.   No previous marriage for Thomas Withers in Chilton Foliatt, at his marriage to Ann Osmond he was not shown as a widower.

There were a number of Withers BMDs before and after this period in Chilton Foliatt.   Are you interested in them?

Cheers dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline HazelWiley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 28 December 06 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave
Strange how William had all those middle names. William gave his son Stone as a middle name too.
Anything about the Withers from Chilton Foliatt would be most helpfull.I do not haveaccess to the Chilton Foliatt records as they are only available from a Film held in Salt Lake city and the records you are able to access there in Wiltshire.They might come in handy or find something that ties in somewhere. Thomas and Ann must have been baptised in another area.I am only assuming Thomas and Ann Withers, Peters brother and sister were older.
Why is Wiltshire called the Moonrakers Country?
Beautifull sunny day here. 8)
Thank you
Hazel

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 29 December 06 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Aha the Moonrakers, an amusing story  :) have a look at http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemoon0.htm I go for Devizes myself as that town was definitely on the smugglers trail from the south coast to the Midlands.   The pond is still there.

To be a modern Moonraker you must have been born in the county of Wiltshire, my grandson was born 4 miles outside and therefore can only be an honorary Moonraker as his father is genuine  ;D

I'm not even English :D

I'ts getting late so I'll get on with the Chilton Foliatt mob tomorrow.

Cheers Dave

Offline HazelWiley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 29 December 06 05:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave
Thanks for that.I am English by birth but have not lived in my country of birth for over 50 years so possibly would be like a foreigner with a Kiwi accent.  ::)
Where are you from?
Thanks for all the work you are doing.it is so much appreciated.
Cheers from Sunny Hawkes Bay and it really is right now.
It must be summer at last.
One day all the mysteries will be solved. Its like a giany jig saw puzzle.
Bye for now,
Hazel

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 29 December 06 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hazel

I'm originally from the west coast of Wales, but haven't lived there for well over 40 years, the last 33 in Wiltshire.   It's really gloomy here today - low cloud and drizzle.   In Wales they say 'if you can see across the valley, it's a sign of rain, if you can't it's already raining'  :D

Here's more from Chilton Foliatt...........

Baptisms

1.   Children of Thomas and Grase
21 Jan 1742 Thomas Witchen
22 May 1752 Jonathan Wetch

2.   Children of Thomas and Rachel
22 May 1744 Rachel Withers
23 Feb 1745 Elizabeth Withers
28 May 1748 Martha Withers
27 May 1751 Mary Wethers

3.   Children of Robert and Jane
15 Mar 1772 Fanny Withers
18 Nov 1774 Ralph Withers
15 Oct 1776 Hannah Withers
4 Oct 1778 John Withers

1792 (no date) Peter son of (?) Thos and Ann of (?) Culborn Shellingford age 9 years

Marriages
9 Dec 1741 Thomas Withers, otp and Grase Sadler of Froxfield
21 Jun 1843 Thomas Withers, otp and Reachell Garlick of Cheselton

Burials
8 Oct 1771 Sarah Wise Withers
24 Mar 1773 Thomas Withers
30 Jan 1778 Rachel Withers - widow
21 Dec 1778 Robert withers - died of a cancer
31 Jan 1791 William Withers age 97
9 Mar 1796 John Garlick
25 Dec 1802 William Osmond - age 45
17 Nov 1811 Martha Withers

Hope these help, Dave

Offline HazelWiley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 30 December 06 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dave
I have 2 aunties living in Wales. One is in Newport and I am not sure where the other one lives as she returned to Wales from Spain after her husband died last year. They are  my mothers sisters and both married Welsh men.I have cousins in Wales too.
I have another Aunt who lives in Petone,Wellington,New Zealand and an Uncle in The USA. Mum is the oldest at 91.
The aunt in Petone followed us out to New Zealand and married a New Zealander.
Its warmer than it started today but they have had snow today in the South Island and this is summer ???We lit a fire this morning ::)We have a free standing fire box which warms the place up really well.This afternoon it is summer again-how odd.this is not our usual warm summer weather.
Thank you for the information. Somewhere along the way it will all make sense.
I will print it out and save it.
I wonder if the Martha who died in 1811 was Peter Withers sister.How wonderfull to have the records office so close to you.
I am very grateful for all the work you have done.
Happy New Year to you and your family
Cheers Hazel