Author Topic: Advice on School Records  (Read 1917 times)

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
Advice on School Records
« on: Wednesday 13 December 06 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I am considering paying for some research and would like a little advice before I continue.  I have found out where my great grandfather went to school and have contacted the history centre who have confirmed they hold the records.

I only want to pay for an hours research and want to give them as much info as I can to get the most out of the search.

My gt grandfather was born in 1878.  I know he was still a scholar in 1891 aged 13 but I'm not sure what year to suggest the researcher starts to look.  Is it likely he would have started school at the age of 5 as we do today, or would he have been older.  I know he only went to the one school.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Anne-Marie (KPM)
Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on School Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 19:36 GMT (UK) »
The ages for education are as follows;

1870 Act Compulsory attendance from 5-13 (with exceptions) was a matter for local option by School Boards and enforcement by bye-laws
1876 Act Set up school attendance committees where there were no School Boards. Fixed the lower limit at 5 years and placed the duty on the parent of every child under 14 to cause him to receive efficient elementary instruction in reading, writing and arithmetic. No employment was allowed under 10 years of age. Children over 10 and under 13 could be employed if they held a certificate issued by a school inspector.
1880 Act Tightened the provisions of the 1876 Act. Insisted on compulsory attendance from 5-10 years. Penalised employers of children under 13 years who did not have a certificate that they had reached the educational standard required by the local bye-laws
1893 Act Minimum leaving age raised to 11
1899 Act Minimum leaving age raised to 12
1900 Act No employment under fourteen without a certificate
1918 Act Full-time education compulsory from 5 – 14 years. Abolished half-time schooling and exemptions such as early leaving in agricultural districts which the earlier system allowed.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks for the information.  I can now confidently start my research from the time my Great Grandfather was 5.
Thank you again
KPM
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline nashua

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Annie Jones
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 06 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My grandfather started school on his 3rd birthday, in 1898. This was a small village school so maybe they took them earlier than the recommended age.

Nashua
Jones, Crinks, Buckland - Bristol
Cook, Curtis, Bishop - Wilts
Betty, Bishop - Glos
Rolfe - Berks, Bristol
Webb - Bristol

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 December 06 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nashua
Thats food for thought - perhaps I should widen my search criteria.  However, the School in question was in Kingston, Surrey and I don't think it was a small village school. 
Thanks again for your info
KPM
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 December 06 18:55 GMT (UK) »
It also works the other way!
 I have a book on the history of a village in Somerset and this is one of the entries relating to the school;
"Although education had been compulsory for many years, children were still being admitted who had 'never been to school before', such as three who came in 1914 aged 9, 7 and 5 years".
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I just wanted to update on this one.  I took the advice given to me on this thread and although I still don't know what age my gr grandfather began school, I was successful in finding several very interesting facts from the school records.
I just wanted to say thank you again and to share my success with you.
Anne-Marie
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 11:35 GMT (UK) »
This is extremely educational. I had never thought to check the school records of my underage ancestors, but it would be just one more puzzle piece to add.

I am sure I will now have tons of questions to get me started. Off to get organized.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath
I hope you have as much success as I have.  I knew the name of the school he had attended and contacted the record centre where the log books were kept.  Although they didnt provide me which a lot of information, they did tell me that he had won a scholarship to another school in 1888.

I went on line to see what I could find out about that school and found that they had an old boys association.  I contacted them and they couldnt be more helpful.  The school opened in 1880 and they have all the admission details from then.  My gr grandfather was expelled (which came as no great surprise) but unfortunately there was no record as to why!

It was only by chance that I noticed the old boys assoc and would never had thought to try there.

Hope this helps
Anne-Marie
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent