Author Topic: haviland/ coleridge marriage COMPLETED  (Read 1961 times)

Offline colrob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
haviland/ coleridge marriage COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 23 November 06 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Can some kind soul who has access to South African marriage records please help this beleaguered researcher.

I am attempting to trace a couple of actors. Yes, that's right, they had stage names too. I've got a fair amount about their professional activities but little about their private lives. William Alexander IRWIN was b 1856 in Bristol, UK. He mainly used the stage name William HAVILAND - so two surnames . Allegedly his 1st wife was one Amy COLERIDGE, wed sometime between, say, 1874 and 1901.  There seems no trace of the marriage in UK or USA, but they did theatrical tours in South Africa so may well have married there (assuming they did in fact have benefit of clergy).

On 21/11/1896 the South Africa Magazine (source: rootsweb) said:
Miss Amy COLERIDGE was interviewed in Kimberley, but it is interesting to learn that the lady does not rate quite so highly as her husband (Mr. William HAVILAND) in the taste of South African audiences …

William enlisted as a special constable in Johannesburg during the Jameson Raid furore. Amy was appearing in Much Ado about Nothing there at that time so it is more than likely that WH was with her.

The 1901 UK census shows them as man and wife. But, to complicate matters, actress Amy COLERIDGE is elusive in UK, and this may well be a stage name too.

Any info about a marriage date and place would be gratefully received.

Offline colrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: havilland/ coleridge marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 December 06 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I am still not having any luck searching for a marriage of two Brits which might, just might, have taken place during one of their visits to various cities in SA.

They were both actors. William Alexander IRWIN was b 1856 in Bristol, UK. He mainly used the stage name William HAVILAND - so there are two possible surnames . Allegedly his 1st wife was one 'Amy COLERIDGE', wed sometime between, say, 1874 and 1901.  There seems no trace of the marriage in UK or USA, but they did several theatrical tours in South Africa so could well have married there.

A SA publication dated 1896 refers to 'Miss Amy COLERIDGE' as the wife of William. That may have been her maiden name but equally could have been just a stage name, as I haven't found any other relevant personal data under that name.

Any info about a marriage date and place would be gratefully received. I must admit, though, that it might have taken place anywhere in SA. Or not at all - after all, they were theatricals!

Moderator comment: see Colin's other threads for further details

Offline jackshebang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: haviland/ coleridge marriage
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I am afraid I can't help re the marriage but my mother has just this evening been talking about Amy Coleridge whom my mother knew well. Amy taught my mother in Johannesburg

Offline EmPea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: havilland/ coleridge marriage
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 June 07 17:08 BST (UK) »
I am still not having any luck searching for a marriage of two Brits which might, just might, have taken place during one of their visits to various cities in SA.

They were both actors. William Alexander IRWIN was b 1856 in Bristol, UK. He mainly used the stage name William HAVILAND - so there are two possible surnames . Allegedly his 1st wife was one 'Amy COLERIDGE', wed sometime between, say, 1874 and 1901.  There seems no trace of the marriage in UK or USA, but they did several theatrical tours in South Africa so could well have married there.

A SA publication dated 1896 refers to 'Miss Amy COLERIDGE' as the wife of William. That may have been her maiden name but equally could have been just a stage name, as I haven't found any other relevant personal data under that name.

Any info about a marriage date and place would be gratefully received. I must admit, though, that it might have taken place anywhere in SA. Or not at all - after all, they were theatricals!

Moderator comment: see Colin's other threads for further details

Hi Colin

Came across this on www.ancestry24.co.za in an article about the impresario Benjamin Franklin WHEELER:

"In 1894 W. and Frank returned to London and, offering very liberal terms, engaged Holloway ('direct from the Lyceum Theatre, London' - itself an encomium) and his Shakespearean company (which included William Haviland and his wife, Amy Coleridge* and Leonard Rayne*) to tour South Africa."

It would appear that they were thought to be married prior to 1894.

I know it doesn't help with a date, but at least you know we are looking...

Regards
Moira
South Africa - Wessels/Vorster
South Africa - Behr/Toerien
South Africa - Pnematicatos/Chimato
Cornwall, England & South Africa - Hicks/Breach
Yorkshire & Durham, England & South Africa - Kenney/Hucks

Offline colrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 June 07 11:19 BST (UK) »
Moira

I am grateful for your trouble on this one. Since posting, however, things have moved on somewhat. Ultimately I found out that these two folk were married in Chicago, Ill, on 18 Feb 1884. The search had been made more difficult because it turned out that Amy COLERIDGE was just a stage name. She was actually Amy COWLRICK. Not only that, but the m/c showed her as Amy COWBRICK! They had two children but were then divorced, due to Amy engaging in naughties with another actor.

But thanks anyway.

Colin

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 June 07 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
can i put a completed note to this entry?
thanks
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 June 07 17:41 BST (UK) »
Rutti tutti
Yes, by all means put this one to bed.
Colin

Offline JON STONE

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: haviland/ coleridge marriage COMPLETED
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 December 17 00:05 GMT (UK) »
I have her autograph signed as Amy Haviland Coleridge 1901 in Liverpool as an actress

my email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php