Author Topic: William and Eliza CARTER and family to Victoria in 19thC...  (Read 11090 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William and Eliza CARTER and family to Victoria in 19thC...
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 26 April 07 08:26 BST (UK) »
Update,
Overnight I've received an e-mail from the Tasmania Archives saying they have stuff on Lavington Roope, and would look to see what they have on William Carter.  They charge a fee of 25 dollars (what would that be in pounds sterling?).
They've asked me for my postal address and whether I give them the go-ahead.  Think that sounds a fairly reasonable price, as I've been asked for up to £40 per hour by some Record Offices here.
Shall I go for it (think I really ought to...)?  Money to be paid once I get whatever they find for me...
keith

I was about to add what Jenn has said  ;D  Must be the ONLY corporate/government entity left in the world that does the work first & then asks for payment - make sure they accept credit card payment - cause any other method of international payment is expensive. Most of the Aust Archives have a fee based on the number of pages copied - some are cheaper than others, but most are very reasonable.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 26 April 07 09:57 BST (UK) »
Sue, Jenn and Trish,
Nuff said, I have done the deed!  Waiting with bated breath to see what turns up now...
keith

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 26 April 07 09:59 BST (UK) »
well done

might be waiting for you after the "big bash" celebrations

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Trish et al,
Very exciting news, today through the post I received a large yellow envelope from the Tasmanian Archives, and it was stuffed full of all sorts of detail on William CARTER and his family.  Not only had they photocopied relevant tracts, but they'd typed out pages of a summary of their findings.  It must have taken them hours to do, yet they are only charging me 33 dollars.  Quite amazing value!
William CARTER and his family sailed out to Tasmania on the ship "The Wave" - only 369 tons or so! - in 1833, with his wife, six children and three servants to establish himself as a businessman in the Hobart area.  He became the first Mayor of Hobart.
There's also a fascinating tale of the elopement of his son William with the daughter of a well-known local man, and their subsequent disappearance overseas.  Which entirely solves the puzzle why this individual was buried in the CARTER family grave in Abney Park, London in the 1860's, yet no other members of his generation.
Plus lots, lots more...
Worth every moment of the wait since about the end of April.  Doesn't get much better than this.  Thank you so much, Trish, for pointing me towards the Tasmanian Archives...
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,
I have not been much of  a contributor to this thread, but a keen watcher!
You have had a great outcome.  Well done for chasing it so determinedly.  I think everyone has enjoyed helping and will share you delight in the info you have acquired.
  Well done to all.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 23:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Sue,
There was even an echo of what William's father Robert CARTER had been up to in Chigwell, Essex, where I came across a dispute over land, or access to owned land in the early 19thC.  There in Tasmania his son William was also getting into trouble over disputed territory, I was able to read for the first time ever today...
keith

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith

They do provide a wonderful service (albeit - takes a while) - I assume the initial $25 is the same for everyone so perhaps a lucky dip as to how much will be found. I'm so pleased it was successful & the $33 should be less than 15 pounds - so as you say well worth it.

I continue to be amazed at these folks travelling across the world in wooden ships away from family and civilisation -  especially the women!

So pleased the information was available - and you can truthfully say they were free settlers  :)  :)

Trish

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Trish,
Yes, they were certainly free settlers, must have taken a huge leap of faith to believe they could jump on such a tiny ship - the whole family - and travel to the other side of the world in search of a whole new life.  And I wonder what the servants too must have made of being for weeks tossed about on the oceans like a cork
When I e-mailed them back yesterday night to thank them, they had replied this morning:..."A good first of the day message - will share this with all of us"...   Meaning the praise, not the fee, of course!
But they've obviously got a good team there, and I've been so impressed...
keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 28 September 07 18:44 BST (UK) »
Just a bit of a postscript to this thread - last Tuesday I went to the Guildhall Library in London to check out the exact birthdates of those 8 children baptised in two batches in 1823 and in 1830 prior to William CARTER gathering his family up and heading bravely to Tasmania in 1833.
In the 1823 entries he is described as "Pottery and Glass Seller"; then in 1830 he is referred to as "Chinaman".
Now that was why he must have decided that his destiny belonged in the direction of the South Seas!  Lol, as my daughter puts on her text messages...
keith
p.s. William's wife's forenames are given as Mary Ann Eliza, by the way - she doesn't seem to be mentioned by name in any of the records so kindly provided by the Tasmanian Archives.