Author Topic: HOEYS in Co. Louth  (Read 6915 times)

Offline JARRA LAD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOEYS in Co. Louth
« on: Wednesday 20 December 06 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone researching the HOEY/HOY family of Co. Louth, especially in the first half of the 19th century?  If so I'd be keen to hear from them.
My GGG granddad was Nicholas Hoey (died before 1861 Census - wife Mary).  He'll have been born about the 1790s.  His son, Patrick, was in Monkwearmouth, Sunderland by the time of the 1851 C. and he married here, had ten bairns and died there too.

Hopefully someone out there might have come across such a Patrick Hoey born probably in 1833 or 1834.  Any help  gratefullt received.
Thanks.

JL.

Offline Hermit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HOEYS in Co. Louth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 07 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jarra Lad : While looking for my Jones ancestors at Dunany recently, I spent some time searching the 1901 Ireland census for a part of County Louth, and noticed a few Hoeys.  They probably are not the ones you’re looking for, but I thought it best to pass them on - ya never know! 

The particulars are these:  I went through the Mormon-church microfilm reel 0846690, which contains census returns for District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) 9/1 through 9/19, 10/1 through 10/20, and 11/1 through 11/39.  These DEDs are named Dromin, Drumcar, and Dunleer.

In DED 9/11-  Dromin, Townland  Knockdinnin, Barony Ardee, Parish Dromin:
Nicholas Hoey, age 65, head of household, living with Mary Hoey age 60 and Jane Hoey age 50 (both called ‘sisters’)

In DED 10/16  - Drumcar, Townland  Draghanstown, Barony Ferrard, Parish Dunany:
Mary Hoey age 50, widow, head of household, living with Kate Levins age 17, daughter, not married, and James Levins age 7.  Also in this house is Mary Ann Conlon, age 80, Mother, Widow

In DED 11/37  - Dunleer, Townland  Trean, Barony Ferrard, Parish Dunleer:
Patrick Hoey age 70, head of household, living with Jane Hoey age 65, wife, and sons Patrick age 33 and Joseph age 23.  Also in this house are Patrick Matthews age 22 and Bridget Bollam, age 40 – both of these unmarried.

Regards - Hermit
Jones family (Dunany Point, Co. Louth, Ireland), Rae and Livingston(e) families (Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland), and Horan (somewhere in Ireland!)

Offline Paughanstown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 July 13 18:27 BST (UK) »
Bap info that I have for Nicholas Hoey - Louth:-
Parish   Baptised   Surname   First Name   Father   F-First Name   Maiden Name   M-First Name   
[/b][/u]
Drogheda   27/06/1783   Hoy   Nicholas   Hoy   James   Healy   Margaret   
Drogheda   02/08/1792   Hoey   Nicholas   Hoey   Nicholas   Welsh   Ann   
Darver   27-11-1796   Hoy   Nicholas   Hoy   Thomas   Hillard   Catharine   
Ardee   20-09-1798   Hoy   Nicholas   Hoy   Nicholas   Cample   Rose   

I don't have any records for Patrick B1830's with a father Nicholas & Mother Mary.  Sorry

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 May 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi both   :)

My gg grandfather John Hoey was born in Dublin 1827 approx. to Patrick Hoey and went to Salford England. but I reckon from studying the group of Hoey saddlers, shoemakers etc that the family came from Louth probably Kilsarran or Castlebellingham area,

There's also a comment in a letter about a couple going back to Ardee (From England we think).

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas