Author Topic: Barking up the wrong tree?  (Read 2006 times)

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Barking up the wrong tree?
« on: Wednesday 17 November 04 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Please tell me if you think I am!!

My 2xG Grandmother's (Emma Beavan) birth certificate has no father's name, just her mother Anne Beavan. No father's name on the parish record either for her baptism.
(Anne had 7 children that had the surname Beavan and I can't find one with a father's name!!)

When Emma married she said her father's name was Edward Beavan, coincidentally the same name she gave her son born 9 months before she married. (I know she told fibs as she said she was "full age" when she was only just 18!)

In 1841 mother and daughter are together on the census living with a widow Mary Teague and her family. In 1851 Emma is still living with Mary Teague and is shown as her Granddaughter but still called Emma Beavan.

Checking the IGI I can't find any birth for an Ann Beavan in the right time frame and am slowly plowing through births for Ann Teague and all the variants kindly suggested by Rootschatters!!

How likely is it do you think that Anne Beavan was  Mary Teague's daughter?

Cheers
tabitha  ???
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Barking up the wrong tree?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 22:33 GMT (UK) »
seems like you have a difficult one here, Annes name could have been Bevan still as Mary may have been married twice 1st to a Bevan then to a teague.

will go away and give it some more thought

in the meantime  good luck ::)  sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 22:38 GMT (UK) »
what were the dates and where did they live and where were they born?
might help concentrate the mind ;D sandie
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tabitha

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your interest Sandie, the details are as follows:

Emma Be(a)van born 15 Feb 1841 in Clyro, Radnorshire (Mary Teague registered the birth) - no father.
Emma Be(a)van baptised 20 Feb 1841 in Clyro
Emma Be(a)van marr 27 Mar 1858 Aylton, Herefordshire

Edward Be(a)van bn 1 Jul 1857 in Dymock, Gloucestershire (No father)
Edward George Be(a)van bap 3 Jan 1858 in Dymock (3 of Ann's children were baptised at the same time!)

Ann Be(a)van bn abt 1816 Llanwarne(?), Herefordshire
Ann Be(a)van marr 23 Dec 1858 in Dymock, Gloucs

1841 - Clyro, Ann & Emma living with Mary Teague (other Teague children in the household)
1851 - Clyro, Emma still living with Mary Teague (gd)
1851 - Dymock, Ann living with Thomas Brittle & children
1861 - Ryton/Dymock, Ann married to Thomas.
1861 - Woolhope, Herefordshire, Emma married to George Watkins and now calling herself Emily!

I hope that all makes sense!!  ??? :)

tabitha
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 November 04 20:37 GMT (UK) »
have printed off info and am now going for a Gin & Tonic to see if I can make sense of it least thats my excuse for the g&t  ::) will get back to you over weekend

sandie

Offline tabitha

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 November 04 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Have a double   ;D      Thank you again....it is all abit confusing!

tabitha

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 November 04 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Shouldn't you be on beujolais nuveau Sandie?
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 November 04 19:07 GMT (UK) »
hope I am going to get lots of that next weekend might not get to rootschat next weekend  big party  whisper it I am going to be 60  shhhhhhhhhhhhh I said whisper.
no I dont mind who knows after all has some compensation the government are actually going to give me something instead of other way round, looking forward to that :P
not that I am giving up work need the money to finance all these certificates ::)
best bit though is on the Sunday I am going to collect 2 gorgeous cats I lost mine about 3 months ago said I wouldnt have any more but miss having a cat, decided I would like a big tabby male this time and have found one at the cat resue and he has a lovely sister hubby thinks I am mad but it was him making a fuss of them ;D
so perhaps not too much beaujolypop.
sorry to waffle on your post tabitha, will get on with looking for your bevans now   sandie

Offline tabitha

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 November 04 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Don't apologise for waffling sandiep!! ....I'm just as bad! Good luck with your new cats...what are they to be called? (not G & T I hope!!) and Happy Birthday for next week! ;D