Author Topic: 1861/71 Census Lookup Please - HOLMES  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
1861/71 Census Lookup Please - HOLMES
« on: Thursday 21 December 06 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello  ;D

Elizabeth Holmes b.1864

I sent for Elizabeths birth cert and just recieved it. I have her marriage cert which states her father as Samuel Holmes deceased. But on the birth cert there is no father stated on the certificate and on mothers name it is just down as Elizabeth Holmes no maiden name. She is living in Dawley. So could someone please find my Elizabeth with Mother Elizabeth please.
I think it could be that samuel died before Elizabeth was born so also could you find Elizabeth and Samuel in 1861.

Thanks  ;D

Katie Steele
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Offline alnat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1861/71 Census Lookup Please - HOLMES
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 06 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I have searched for all Elizabeth Holmes (soundex) in Shropshire in 1871 born 1864 +/- 2 and didn't get any results.

Maybe her mother had married by 1871 and Elizabeth was recorded under the new surname?

It is unlikely that her mother was married/widowed at the time of the birth. The husbands name would be recorded on the birth certificate with 'deceased' after his name if he was the father. The mother's maiden name would be recorded if she was/had been married.

I would guess that Samuel was made up to 'save face' for the marriage.
Wellington/Dawley areas - Attwood, Podmore, Wall
Sheffield - Oxspring
Machester - Clarkson
London - Whiffen/in
Leics. - Wass

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 December 06 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katie,

Only name I can see close to yours on the 71 census, born in Shropshire is,

Civil    par      Ashton
Town                 "
County              Lancashire
Reg dis              Preston
Sub dis              Broughton

Rosannah    Holmes    wife ( head of family away )   39   housekeeper   Shropshire Dawley

Mary  Elizabeth Holmes    dau    10      Shropshire   Hadliegh

William Henry   Holmes     son     8       Warickshire  Nuneaton

Ann   Holmes                  dau      7             "                    "

Rebecca   Holmes            dau     5              "                   "

Jane    Holmes                dau      4             Cumberland ?

Fanny   Holmes              dau        1         Lancashire ?

I would guess that Mary Elizabeth was born in Hadley not Hadliegh,  Hadley is next door to Dawley,

Merry Christmas :D :D :D, and happy hunting,
Pete,
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 23:50 BST (UK) »
Reviving this topic in hope someone can find the answer. I've tried again to no avail.

Thank you! X
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen