Author Topic: Stevens family  (Read 3452 times)

Offline arana 80

• RootsChat Extra
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Stevens family
« on: Thursday 18 November 04 04:52 GMT (UK) »
John Stevens (no data)  married  Jeanfred Johns, born Cornwall 1804, Died Bendigo, Victoria, Australia 1885

Their daughter Elizabeth Stevens, b. Cornwall 1832/3, emmigrated to Melbourne, Victoria.

I have checked the Inward Passenger Lists, two Elizabeth Stevens arrived aboard the "PERSIAN" December 1852.
1. Elizabeth  age 21  Assisted Passage.
2. Elizabeth  age 20  Unassisted passage

Think one of these two maybe the one from Cornwall.
Elizabeth married George Henry Leamon (Devonshire) at Bendigo Victoria 1853/4.

Their eldest son b. 9 Oct 1854 was my maternal grandfather.

Would be very happy if anyone could fill in some details or throw some pointers my way

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stevens family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 13:20 GMT (UK) »
There is also an Eliz on the Charlotte Jane arriving 1852 - Age given as A.
On the unassisted list with Elizabeth 20, there is also a George 23 and Emma 1 - they could well be a family. The assisted Elizabeth could also be married with George 25 and Emma 1 on the same boat. (These could almost be the same family - but they are listed on different records??) The Eliz on the Charlotte Jane appears to be without other family.

Sry - I just reread your post - I didn't originally note that Elizabeth's mother  also died in Australia. Did they come out separately or together?

If you could find someone who can check the fiche at Vic archives, this may help. Shipping lists usually have the family groups together. Some also have county of origin for immigrants (many do not). The site http://www.raogk.org/listing.htm mentioned by another poster has a number of people offering to do public record lookups and copying in Melbourne.

FreeCen has virtually all the 1841 Cornwall census online - there are many Elizabeths who meet your age range(surname spelt Stephens). It became rather too slow to check them all - if you try during the day in Oz it will probably be quicker. This may provide an idea of where the famility lived / children were born.

Jean/Jane are often interchangeable in church records. There is an Elizabeth on the IGI with parents John/Jane in about the right time scale.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arana 80

• RootsChat Extra
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Stevens family
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 November 04 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Trish,
Thanks for your suggestions, I will how far I can progress with them.
Regards
Arana 80