Author Topic: 1840s DUBLIN Ireland MORRISON'S  (Read 40680 times)

Offline Heppy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1840s DUBLIN Ireland MORRISON'S
« on: Sunday 24 December 06 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Are you related to the DUBLIN, Ireland MORRISON who was a Presbyterian Minister in the mid 1800s in Dublin.?

If so please ,please get in touch, and make this a very special Christmas present for me as I have come to a very big brick wall.

Or if you have HANBIDGE in you family archives also get in touch.

also the surname TAIT as these surnames are all tied in with the MORRISON side of the family.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
ANGUS, CASHELL, COCHRAN, COLLIER, DEACON, GODDEN, GRAHAM, MORRISON, TAIT, TACKABERRY, TRICKETT

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: 1840s DUBLIN Ireland MORRISON'S
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 February 07 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heppy,

I'm not related to any Morrisons but I'm wondering if the minister you mentioned is Rev. Simpson G. Morrison, Sherrard Street, Lower St Georges, Dublin who is mentioned in Griffith's Valuation of 1848-51?

Best Wishes, Christopher 

Offline Heppy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 February 07 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christopher,

Yes, Rev Morrison I refer to is  REV SIMPSON GABRIEL MORRISON. He was my Great Great Grandfather.

Do you know anything about him.

Thanks for your reply.

Heather Graham,

Worthing,West Sussex,UK
ANGUS, CASHELL, COCHRAN, COLLIER, DEACON, GODDEN, GRAHAM, MORRISON, TAIT, TACKABERRY, TRICKETT

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 February 07 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

I'll have a look at the Presbyterian Historical Society's "A history of congregation in the Presbyterian church in Ireland 1610-1982" which is in the reference section of the local library to see what it says about your great great Grandfather.

Christopher.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 March 08 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heather,

I'm a bit puzzled here. Your post on the Past Times Project website says that your great great grandfather started his ministry at the 1st Presbyterian Church Armagh and then moved to Plunkett Street, Dublin about 1845 where he stayed.until his death about 1889.

1. What's the connection with Co. Wexford? and 2. Do the records of the churches where he was a minister not show any details of the baptisms and christenings of his children?

Christopher 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 March 08 10:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm even more puzzled than Christopher. History of Congregations doesn't list a Rev. Morrison in 1st Armagh. From 1800-1858 the ministers are: Thomas Cuming (1796-1816), Samuel Eccles (1817-18223), Pooley Shuldam Henry (1826-1846), Alexander Fleming (1846-1851), John Hall (1852-1858). John Hall left 1st Armagh to go to Mary's Abbey, Dublin.
Now back to the mysterious Rev. Morrison. The Suppliment to History of Congregations lists him under Dublin, Union Chapel: "Dr. Stuart resigned in 1841; he was succeeded in 1844 by Rev. S.G. Morrison, the minister of the Independent Chapel in Plunket St. He and his congregation all came to Union Chapel. He attracted a large congregation wit an average attendence of 700. In 1861, the congregtion had 100 families ad 200 communicant members. Morrison retired in 1881. He was succeeded by the Rev. Dr. William Tait who was called from 2nd Castleblayney. He married the daughter of his redecessor. He reigned in 1890." In 1828 on Lower Abbey Street "a larger church was built and called Union Chapel, the title marking the union of the two congregations and also the union of Anti-Burgher and Burgher Synods to form the Secession Synod. Union Chapel burned down in 1916, the congregation united with Abbey Church.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 March 08 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

How were you able to post the information about Rev. Simpson Gabriel Morrison
on the Past Times Project website? What source did you find that states that he
started his career in Armagh and ended it in Dublin? It appears to differ slightly
from the information posted by aghadowey.

aghadowey, I did some googling for Independent Presbyterians in Armagh but had very little success in that part of the world. I found a large number of references to them in America and some in Devonshire. Rev. Simpson Gabriel Morrison must have studied at a college or university somewhere prior to being called by the congregation at Armagh and being installed there. The Presbyterians tend to be quite good about recording such events. He may have been trained in Scotland.

Christopher.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 March 08 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Christopher- looks like Heather hasn't been here since October.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 March 08 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Christopher- looks like Heather hasn't been here since October.

Hi aghadowey,

If you have the time keep having an occasional look 8)

I've posted replies to several old queries and received a reply. People sometimes take a break and reappear. Vanishing Presbyterian ministers are a serious matter ... does that mean the records of the Presbyterian Church are missing a few important pieces of information. Rev. Morrison and his wife must have had a reasonable size of a family as
they were known to have had eighty grandchildren. I wonder if that figure includes great grandchildren. Help! Heather has a post on Genforum, dated 2002, asking for information about Rev. Dr William Corbett Tait

Christopher