Author Topic: Alexander Smith Census 1821 Orkney  (Read 5217 times)

Offline CJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Alexander Smith Census 1821 Orkney
« on: Tuesday 26 December 06 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the parents of Alexander Smith aged 1 year in the Walter Rosie household on Burray Orkney. Is he the son of Benjamin Smith aged 30 a cooper ?( born in Watten to Alexander Smith and Rachel Sutherland) Is there a relationship between the Rosie's and the Smiths or Sutherlands on the maternal side? Benjamin married Margaret Allan( date unknown) and had 9 children - 1 son and 8 daughters!

Hopefully someone can find this elusive Alexander or knows of a family connection between the Smiths, Rosie and Sutherlands! I think there may be but NO proof. What was Benjamin doing on Burray with a child Alexander!

Merry Christmas
CJW :)
Gibson, McKenzie & Elliot,- Northumberland & Montrose
Smith, Sutherland,McKay- Watten Caithness
 Gorie, Dishon, Allan, Smith, Tait & Clouston - Orkney
Downie and McDonald Allen & Adam- Ross & Lanark
Buchanan, McFarlane - Stirling & Dumbarton
Cornall, Thompson, Hoole,Gillow,Catterall -Lancashire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Smith Census 1821 Orkney
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi CJW

Have you located Alexander Smith (b.c. 1820) on any of the Scottish censuses (1841 onwards) at all or do you kow what happened to him at all after his appearance onthe 1821 census?

If he survived to 1855 and beyond, you might well be able to get a death cert for him that should give his parents' names.

Also, the later censuses might well through up info on any posswible relationships between the Smiths and Sutherlands.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 December 06 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Can't find him on the census, in Orkney, the only one that I have available to me. Thanks fro answering.

Happy New Year
CJW
Australia

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 December 06 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I'll have a good search for you later CJW.

The wind is coming here all the way from Orkney at the mo - a wee bit breezie, me thinks.

HNY to you (when it comes) from the Highlands  :)

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline CJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 December 06 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, it's windy here in Australia except that the temperature is in the 30's -HOT!

Cheers
CJW
Australia

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 December 06 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I've had a good search and can't find a relationship between the three families.

Walter Rossie, aged 75-79 is still on Burray in 1841, living with his wife Margaret. Neither of them are born Orkney. The previous household is that of Walter Rosie, aged 35-39, again not born Scotland The next enumerated household on the other side is that of George Sutherland.

I have found a Walter Rosie and Margaret Warse having children in Canisbay, Caithness, 1789, 1797 and 1800 and a Walter Rosie and Margaret Swanson having a child baptised, Canisbay in 1795.

Benjamin Smith and wife Margaret are also there with their many children. There is no sign of Alexander at all. The nearest in age is one in Aberdeen but there is really not enough information to make any connection.

Given the names given to the children (1823 onwards)  of Benjamin and Margaret, I would have expected their first son to have been named Alexander. I then checked for baptisms of an Alexander Smith and an Alexander Allan circa  1820 in both Orkney and the adjacent Caithness parishes with no results.

Sorry not to find anything positive for you.

Again best wishes for 2007

Regards

Gadget

Offline CJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re:GADGET! Alexander Smith Census 1821 Orkney
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 January 07 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Gadget, I think there may be a relationship between Benjamin Smith and the Rosie household on Burray. Benjamin Smith's mother was a Sutherland, there is a Betty Sutherland in the household. The informant to Benjamin's death was a Sutherland!  The Rosie family were originally from Wick in Caithness, The Smith family were from Watten in Caithness .Benjamin Smith was in the Walter Rosie (and his wife who was Margaret Ballantyne ) household  in Burray, along with the elusive Alexander Smith aged 1 year - cannot find him ANYWHERE!!!

My thinking there may be a relationship may be a wild goose chase, might you but when you get desperate you follow the hunches. :P

Cheers from a cooler New Years Day

CJW (Cheryl)