Author Topic: Marriage lookup Pls, Kilmonivaig  (Read 17673 times)

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup Pls, Kilmonivaig
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Donald Stewart married Janet Stewart in Kilmonivaig on 4 Mar 1811. Donald died at Glenfintaig, near Spean Bridge in 1855. This marriage was his second and produced 10 children, 3 died at a young age. His first marriage was to Margaret Kennedy in Laggan parish which produced 2 children. The 1885 death records were superb with their extra info!

On the 1841 census, it seems possible that grand-dau Mary may be  son Ewen's child by his first marriage to Sicely McKinnon in 1839. Mary is still with Donald in the 1851 census, along with his daughter Janet. Ewen later married Isabella MacDonald in 1844 and they lived on the north shore of Loch Arkaig in Kilmallie until their deaths (Ewen in 1909 and Isabella in 1900).  It is this Isabella who is recorded on the 1851 census with 3 of her children - Clementina, Angus and Donald. Donald and Janet's son Alexander (9th child, 4th son) is believed to have married Ann Cameron at Corpach in 1848.

Donald's parents were John Stewart and Christian MacPherson, with Donald believed to be their first child in 1780 in Laggan parish. It seems they may have had 9 children, but still early days in researching this family.

I have been tracking Jessie Stewart born 1849/50 in Inverness ( states this in 1881 census while married to James Welsh) .I found her death cert in Glasgow ,in 1928 and her name is Jessie Sutherland  Welsh, ms Stewart . Fathers name is Ewen/Evan Stewart (shephard ) and mother Catherine Kennedy . I see hes been married a few times , but could this Ewen/Evan be my Jessies father from Inverness ? I have Ewen Stewarts death cert in 1909 in Kilmallie aged 93 retired shepherd . Am i joining the dots or going off track on this line ? cheers Raymie .
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline hallglen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 January 15 05:51 GMT (UK) »
From 1844 until 1900, Ewen was married to Isabella McDonald so it seems unlikely he was the father of your Jessie Stewart unless the informant got the mother's name completely wrong. Jessie's marriage record to James Welsh could throw some light on this.
Scotland: Aberdeen - Sim, Tawse, McLean, Henderson, Hatchwell, McKenzie, Littlejohn; West Lothian - Hill, Macintosh, Hutchison, Spowart, Douglas; Forfar - Soutar, Mitchell, Young; Inverness - Macdonald, Cameron, Stewart.
Ireland: Frazer, Brannan, Fitzgerald/Fitzmaurice, McGladrigan.
England: Havercroft, Dunn

Offline hallglen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 January 15 06:43 GMT (UK) »
There is a family in the 1851 census that may fit the Ewen Stewart that you are looking for. In the town of Inverness, at 55 Tomnahurich St, is shepherd Evan Stewart (age 56), wife Catharine (47), and chn Margaret (18), Charles (14), William (14), Catharine (11), Grace (6) and Janet (2). This Janet looks a possibility for your Jessie, birth year 1849. Also with this family is Ewen's brother Alexander (age 69) and a tailor. All recorded as having been born in Kilmorack, Inverness.
May not be the right one but worth checking out
Scotland: Aberdeen - Sim, Tawse, McLean, Henderson, Hatchwell, McKenzie, Littlejohn; West Lothian - Hill, Macintosh, Hutchison, Spowart, Douglas; Forfar - Soutar, Mitchell, Young; Inverness - Macdonald, Cameron, Stewart.

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 January 15 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallglen thanks for the help . I checked Jessies death cert and fathers name is Evan (oops, old writing ;-) .) and Catherine Kennedy . Checked the 1871 census for the family and Evan is gone but Jessie is now Jessie Sutherland with 2 kids living with her mother.  Now that sets alarm bells off as on Jessies death cert she is named Jessie Sutherland Welsh. So looks as if the correct family. Will check for a marriage of a Jessie Stewart and  anon Sutherland from 1866 -1874 as she marries James Welsh in 1875 Glasgow. Thanks again Hallglen .
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 January 15 10:13 GMT (UK) »
SP have a marriage for a Jessie Stewart to a George Sutherland in Inverness, 1867.
They also have a George Sutherland dying in Inverness in 1869.

Offline hallglen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 09 January 15 11:50 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch has this marriage for 9 Aug 1867 in Inverness, INV. Also lists two children - dau Margaret born 16 May 1868 in Inverness and son John Powrie born 31 Jan 1870 in Milton, Glasgow. On this latter birth, father's full name given as George Farquhar Sutherland.

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 January 15 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks, I got Jessie and Georges marriage cert on 09/09/1867 in Inverness . Her parents are Ewen Stewart (Shepherd) and Catherine Kennedy , Witnesses , David MacKintosh and James McBean. So same parents for my death cert for Jessie Sutherland Welsh in 1928 in Glasgow  ;) On the 1881 census for Jessie and James Welsh none of the kids appear , oldest is my Great Gran Margaret aged 6 and born 14 /09/1875 and living in Port Glasgow as James Welsh is a stonemason, journeyman . ( disappears after 1891 census)Finding it difficult to track deaths for Ewen and Catherine , Ewen is on 1851 census and Catherine and Jessie on 1871 census in Inverness. Thanks again for your help guys  :)

Offline hallglen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 10 January 15 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Just had quick look on ScotPeo. They have for Inverness, INV a death in 1866 for Ewen Stewart, born 1795 +/-5 yrs. There is also a death record for a Catherine Kennedy, other surname Stewart, born 1805 +/- 5 yrs, in 1890 in Inverness-shire in the parish of Insh. Worth checking :)

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 10 January 15 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallglen , spot on with Ewen Stewart  ;) Living at 58 Tomnahurich st Inverness died aged 70 . Parents James and looks like Robina Stewart ms Stewart too.  I had that cert for Catherine in 1890 aged 86 . It states shes widow of James Stewart  , farmer . Witness is a James MacPherson , son in law . So cant say for sure if thats our Catherine , possibly is as there was a few daughters and might have took her in . Easy to get a name mixed up . Thats the furthest back i have got Hallglen 1760ish , Highland blood  ;D Cheers