Author Topic: Firemen (Firefighters)  (Read 82732 times)

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Firemen (Firefighters)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 January 07 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Wilkybob,

It is great to know the Salvage men were remembered as well, my uncle would have retired sometime around 1940 I think as he started in the corps in 1901.   It is nice to know his son carried on the tradition by joining the Fire Brigade, I know he went to Swansea, Birmingham & Keighley but I don't know whether his sons carried on the tradition.

Carry on the good work,

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

Offline coppernob

• RootsChat Member
  • My Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 February 07 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi    A friend has found some buttons in an old box, curious to know what they were from has asked friends. And we have come up with " buttons from a firemans tunic" there are 7 in all. On the reverse it says Superior quality, on the face   it looks like 2 crossed hatchets with a helmet just below where the hatchets cross,

Can anyone help or recommend a site or place that would know.

Coppernob  ???   :)
Suffolk-Parmenter, Sore, Ralph, Cutmore, Piper
London-Statham, Hodder,Beach,
Kent-Henty,Tucker, Jenner
Essex-Piper, Cutmore

Offline wilkybob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 February 07 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Coppernob
If the button is the same or similar to the image attached  it is a standard firemans button from a firefan's tunic. These were used from 1800s right up until the 1930s. They would have been used in any part of the UK. Many makers made the same or very similar design, including both Gaunt and Firmin who were buton makers from London.
On a tunic you would have had 12 large buttons, about 1" in two rows down the front, with two smaller ones on the eppaulettes on the shoulder then two more small buttons in the small of the back of the tunic, and another two small on the breast pockets..
Hope this helps
Currently researching the details including Names, Addresses, Date died, Age died, How died, Brigade served and many other details of firefighters that have died as a result of being a firefighter.

Offline coppernob

• RootsChat Member
  • My Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 February 07 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Wow  ;D  Wilkybob Thank you.   The button is almost exact.

The detail on the top of the helmet is much plainer & the "guards" on the helmet are a bit longer & slimmer. So could that mean they are earlier or just a different county to yours.  Thanks also for the extra info.   

I knew the rootschatters would come up trumps.  You have not failed me yet.

From happy Chatter Coppernob
Essex-Piper, Cutmore

Offline wilkybob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 February 07 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Glad to have helped,
A little more info then,
attached are similar buttons,
The Chrome is another UK button, the brass one is from Belguim, but  the helmet on the Belgium one is a different type of helmet, and the axes have pointed ends and are compeatly different to UK axes.

The axes and helmet was just a very popular design and used by most UK brigades at one time or other.
Currently researching the details including Names, Addresses, Date died, Age died, How died, Brigade served and many other details of firefighters that have died as a result of being a firefighter.

Offline coppernob

• RootsChat Member
  • My Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 February 07 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wilkybob   Thanks for the extra info, the chrome one is the nearest tho, the ones I have look brass. If I can get my camers to work I will try to take a pic & post it.  My friend is amazed that I had info for him today & if it is ok I would like to print the info & pics to show him.

Only thing is he doesn't know of any firefighters in his family.  Mmm, Maybe that will be the next avenue to go down.

Coppernob ;D ;D
Essex-Piper, Cutmore

Offline wilkybob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 February 07 08:38 GMT (UK) »
If the ones you have are brass, then they are earlier buttons. If you have dull looking silver buttons then it is a fair chance they are silver. Many of the chrome were chromed over brass.
As to firefighters in the family I'm afaid I can only help with those that died as a result of being a firefighter, got details of over 2,000 of them.

Offline coppernob

• RootsChat Member
  • My Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 February 07 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh gosh,I wasn't expecting you to research ancestors for my friend.   I will That could mean footwork as he & his family are all local people.  He was certainly impressed with the amount of information you gave me & in such a short space of time.

Are you adding fire fighters who died to your list from anywhere or are you being more specific. Because if my friend wants me to look further for him I may come across info that would interest you.

If you pm me your home e-mail I will gladly fwd anything I find in Suffolk.

Many thanks for your help from both of us   C
Essex-Piper, Cutmore

Offline wilkybob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 February 07 18:33 GMT (UK) »
It's OK I realised you didn't expect me to look for your fireman, but if he did die on duty, then I'm the one who could possibly help.
I'm looking for literally any UK Fireman, firewoman or in modern terms any firefighter whose death could be attributed in some way to being a firefighter..
There is a Memorial in London with 2,200 names on it, but to me the names are only a very small part of the story. My list has name, addresses, ages, brigade served, where and how died, along with marital status and number of children left behind. If not done soon these memorials will just be a list of unknown names. I hope to get a "roll of honor" published with some of the stories of the incidents in which they died included along with other info if applicable, and hope to pass any monies made to charities. It's amazing how much help I'm now getting. The main problem is the title fireman covers a wide range of other jobs other than firefighting. Everything from ships boiler firemen, firemen in mines who were responsible for firing the explosives, firemen in mills who looked after furnaces, boilers, and other fire processes.I have to be careful and check every one.
Thanks for the offer, help always appreciated, especialy if someone see articles in local newspapers on firemens funerals as often they had a fire brigade send off with firemen uniformed at the funeral.