Author Topic: Lost STONEs from Piddlehinton  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
  • Wilts, Dorset, Berks and Somerset ancestry
    • View Profile
Lost STONEs from Piddlehinton
« on: Thursday 28 December 06 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Is anybody researching the STONE fmily of farmers from Piddlehinton, Dorset, in the early 1800s?

Henry STONE, farmer, married Jane TIZARD in Piddlehinton in 1798.  They farmed in Piddlehinton, where they raised a large farming family: 

1.  John Tizard STONE (1798 - 1842)
2.  Sarah STONE, born 1800, who married John PAYNE and had issue.
3.  Ann STONE, born 1805
4.  Rebecca STONE (1809 - 1883), who married William MAYO, a farmer in Little Piddle and in Poxwell
5.  Jane Greenham STONE, born 1812
6.  Mary STONE, born 1813, who married George DOMINY, butcher of Piddletrenthyde and had issue.

I would like to contact a reseacher of this family and exchange STONE family history notes.

Best wishes.

Peter Ferreira.

ROPER of Chideock, Powerstock & Winterborne Whitchurch, Dorset
LAWRENCE of Wilts, and Berks
MAYO of Poxwell, Friar Waddon (Portesham) & Frome St. Quintin, Dorset
STONE of Piddlehinton, Dorset
CHISMAN of Castle Eaton & East Knoyle, Wilts
RUMSEY of West Knoyle & Mere, Wilts
HULL of Sutton Benger, Wilts & East Woodhay, Hants
FOWLER of Winterborne Whitchurch & Abbotsbury, Dorset, and of Cudworth, Som.
GAPPER of Winsham, Som.
PHELPS of Shepton Beauchamp, Som.
SYMONDS of Somerset & Dorset

Offline Papijean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lost STONEs from Piddlehinton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 16 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter,

I have only just come across your thread and noticed you haven't had any replies.  On the basis that you are still after information I can only add to the more recent data.

As you say, Mary STONE married George DOMINY (born 1813) in 1841, but my info is the marriage was in Puddletown.  They had issue: -

• John Tizzard Stone DOMINY b 1845, d 1895.  He became a butcher
    George DOMINY, b 1846 who married Sarah Catherine COX in 1872
    Henry DOMINY b 1853
      George and Sarah had four children that we know about and then down the line

I hope this helps you, if only a little

PJ

Dominy in Dorset and London
Dominy in Newfoundland
Kislingbury

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 December 16 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Papijean,

That was a long, long time ago.  WOW!  Thank you for directing your first post on Rootschat to me and for your assistance.  Very much appreciated!  I have taken my Dominys and Stones a long way, since my posting.  Here is what I have now: 

9)   Mary Stone, bp. in Piddlehinton on Dec. 13th., 1813.  On Aug. 4th., 1841, in Puddletown church, she married George Dominy, butcher, of Puddletrenthide?, a son of George Dominy, butcher, in the presence of John Tizard Stone and Anne Stone.  George was a butcher in Piddletrenthide.  By the 1861 and 1871 censuses, they lived in Melcombe Regis, Dorset, where George was a butcher.  George and Mary had issue: 
•   John Tizard Stone Dominy, born in Piddlehinton and bapt. in Piddletrenthide on June 5th., 1844 (Dorchester district).  He was a butcher, living in Melcombe Regis in 1871.  John died on March 1st., 1905, aged 60, buried in Piddletrenthide churchyard.   
•   Henry Dominy, born in Piddlehinton about 1845;  enumerated in 1861 at his parents’ home.  Henry was a surgeon / dentist.   
•   George Dominy, bapt. in Piddletrenthide on March 5, 1846.  In Q4 of 1872, in Weymouth district, George married Sarah Catherine Cox.  George was a shopkeeper and butcher, living in Weymouth (1881),  Radipole in 1891 and Melcombe Regis (1901).  George and Sarah had issue.           

Best wishes to you Papijean.  I wish you a Merry Christmas.  May 2017 be a great year for you. 

Peter. 

GAPPER of Winsham, Som.

Offline Papijean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 December 16 16:05 GMT (UK) »
That was a very speedy reply.  As I said, I sent my response to your enquiry as there was nothing listed as an answer.  We don't have anything further on the Stone side of your enquiry, but we (my wife has done virtually all the follow-up work) do have a good idea of what has developed down the Dominy line.

At this time I am actually researching a Dominy line in Newfoundland as I spotted the name of Harry Dominy on a memorial for the Newfoundland Regiment in northern France.  Working back in time from that I now know that his ancestor was born in Norfolk (UK) c 1800 so am about to try to track him down to see if he links in to my origins in Dorset.

Can you give me any suggestions on web sites, preferably free, to use to validate my NL findings, please?

Happy Christmas to you too

PJ
Dominy in Newfoundland
Kislingbury

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 December 16 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi PJ, 

I do very little research on Canadian data, as I have few relatives in this country.  Most of my research is in Britain and India. 

As you are researching Dominys, here is an extension to the snippet that I sent you yesterday.  Hope that it helps you.  Happy browsing!! 

9)   Mary Stone, bp. in Piddlehinton on Dec. 13th., 1813.  On Aug. 4th., 1841, in Puddletown church, she married George Dominy, butcher, of Puddletrenthide?, a son of George Dominy, butcher, in the presence of John Tizard Stone and Anne Stone.  George was a butcher in Piddletrenthide.  By the 1861 and 1871 censuses, they lived in Melcombe Regis, Dorset, where George was a butcher.  George and Mary had issue: 
•   John Tizard Stone Dominy, born in Piddlehinton and bapt. in Piddletrenthide on June 5th., 1844 (Dorchester district).  He was a butcher, living in Melcombe Regis in 1871.  John died on March 1st., 1905, aged 60, buried in Piddletrenthide churchyard.   
•   Henry Dominy, born in Piddlehinton about 1845;  enumerated in 1861 at his parents’ home.  Henry was a surgeon / dentist.   
•   George Dominy, bapt. in Piddletrenthide on March 5, 1846.  In Q4 of 1872, in Weymouth district, George married Sarah Catherine Cox.  George was a shopkeeper and butcher, living in Weymouth (1881),  Radipole in 1891 and Melcombe Regis (1901).  George and Sarah had issue:           
o   George Sydney Dominy, born about 1873 in Weymouth;  butcher.  George married Mary Josephine Wadham.  They apparently lived in Derby.  George died in 1947.  George and Mary had issue:   
*   Edna Marie Wadham Dominy, born in Derby district, in about Q2 of 1901; 
*   George Brian Wadham Dominy, born in Derby district in about Q2 of 1904;     
o   Leonard Charles Dominy, born about 1875 in Weymouth;  a butcher in the Weymouth area;  Leonard married Alice Croom, in Q1 of 1907, in Christchurch, Hants, district;  lived in Weymouth till the early 1950s;  Leonard died about 1955 and Alice about 1959;  Leonard and Alice had issue: 
*   Barbara Croom Dominy, born in Weymouth on May 10th., 1909.  In Q1 of 1933, in Weymouth district, Barbara married Ronald Dendy, a naval officer.  Barbara died in 1961.  [ancestor of Elizabeth Rutherford] 
o   Olive Mary Dominy, born about 1879 in Weymouth.  In about Q3 of 1904, in Weymouth, Dorset, Olive married Robert John King;  they lived in Bath, Somerset, where they had issue: 
*   Kenneth Robert John Dominy King, born on June 18th., 1907, in Kingston upon Thames, Surrey.  Ken was a radio engineer.  On September 7th., 1935, in Mansfield, Notts, he married Joan Marchant;  they lived in Kingston-upon-Thames and Chelmsford.  Kenneth died in 1954;  they had issue.  [ancestors of Alison Organ] 
*   Joyce Mary King, born in Bath, Somerset, in 1910.  Joyce married John Grenville Eves;  they had issue. 
*   Rachel Catherine Dominy King, born in Bath on November 2nd., 1914.  Rachel married (1) Owen Sampson and married (2) Mark Rhodes;  Mark and Rachel have issue. 
*   Richard George Dominy King, born in Bath, Somerset, on December 28th., 1915;  electrical contractor;  Richard married (1) Joan Matt, 2 children, divorced;  Richard married (2) Marjorie Barnett, 3 children;  Richard married (3) Susan Mordecai.  [ancestors of Carol King]   
*   Godfrey Arthur King, born in Bath, Somerset, on August 5th., 1918.  Godfrey was a major in the army and a director in Lucas;  he married and had issue.  Godfrey died in 2005.     
o   Norah Catherine Dominy King, born about 1882 in Weymouth.           
o   Sarah Helen Dominy King, born about 1884 in Weymouth;  died about 1960.       

Best wishes.

Peter Ferreira
Toronto, Canada.

GAPPER of Winsham, Som.

Offline Papijean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 December 16 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Peter.

I will have a look at that tomorrow - it is nearly 11:30 pm here so about time for bed

PJ
Dominy in Newfoundland
Kislingbury

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 December 16 23:09 GMT (UK) »
While we are on the subject of Dominey . . .
I have a line from Somerset ;D

Herbert Frank Dominey, b1892, Frome, Somerset. d 1971
     son of
Marwood Dominey, b1864, Knowle St Giles. d 1955
     son of
George Dominey, b1821, Ilminster. d 1900
     son of
Joseph Dominey, b1795, Ilminster. d 1823
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 December 16 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi K Garrad,

Sorry, I do not know anything about those Domineys in Ilminster, Frome or Knowle St. Giles. 

Best wishes.

Peter.
GAPPER of Winsham, Som.