Author Topic: 1861 census  (Read 913 times)

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1861 census
« on: Thursday 18 November 04 13:42 GMT (UK) »
On my grandfather John Morgan's birth certificate 1868 it says that his father was a William Morgan occupation harpist. Am led to believe that William was born Merthyr Tydfil but not so sure . John was born Pontypridd Can anyone locate a William Morgan [harpist] in the 1861 census. Thankyou Alun.

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 November 04 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello eirwen

The only "morgan" harpist is a David Morgan. There are 63 matches to the name William Morgan born in Merthyr. & 5 matches to William Morgan born in Pontypridd.

Do you know any other names which may help in locating your Wllm Morgan within the 1861 census?

:)

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 November 04 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen  The only other information which I know to be accurate is that John had a sister Mary who was born Pontypridd 1873. Now in the 1871and 1881 census there is a Morgan family which fits. In the 1871 census they are Borders in Pontypridd High Street [house of Mr Griffiths] and Mary not born, in the 1881 census in Llantwit Fardre William [harpist] not at home. But with these families there is also an elder brother to John named William born Merthyr Tydfil 1865.have the birth certificates of John and Mary, thought that if I could locate the birth of William [the son] I might then be able to find where William and his wife Mary[nee Richards] were in 1865 or even their marriage ,but have drawn a blank for the last 3 years.  Regards Alun.