Author Topic: Armstrong or Jardine 1861 census Ancestry.com and SP  (Read 3951 times)

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Armstrong or Jardine 1861 census Ancestry.com and SP
« on: Saturday 30 December 06 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Before the Internet, my OH had pretty thoroughly researched his Scottish Armstrong forebears with the available records and even help with a professional researcher.  His Armstrong family had been found on the 1851, 1881 and 1891 census but not the 1861 or the 1871 as the family had moved from Canonbie DFS to Hawick ROX in that time frame.

Using the free access to Ancestry.com I found the family on the 1861 census but with 4 more kids then expected.  But the surnames of three of the kids was Jardine including OH's grandfather aged 2 who we know was both baptised and registered as Armstrong and who was illegitimate  Now we got pretty excited thinking at last we might know that Jardine was the name we should start searching.

However nothing more was found on the IGI to support the births of these "new" kids either as Armstrong or Jardine. Next we ventured onto Scotlandspeople trying before we buy.  Again not much joy apart from the family on the 1871 had moved again but with  fewer kids, not surprisingly.

Puzzled , using free SP we tried to reconstruct the family on the 1861 census again.  This time three kids called Armstrong not Jardine but with a possible Thomas Jardine aged 10 to keep it interesting.  So we shall now pay to view the original records.

My advice then is to check every resource especially the originals.  Has anyone else had an experience like this? Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline HannahR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researcher in the Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong or Jardine 1861 census Ancestry.com and SP
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 18 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gazania,

I am a researcher base in Kelso, Roxburghshire but work in Hawick. If you would like me to have a quick look into this to see if I can figure out what is going on PM me the details. That is of course if you haven't figured it out already. I also have researched my own family in Canonbie so am familiar with their records.

Hannah
The following names appear in my family tree: Bells [Dumfries], Todd [Perth], McLean [Campbeltown], Newson [Suffolk], Fosse(y) [Buckinghamshire], Butler [Glamorganishire], Jenkins [Glamorgan/ England], Tilling or Telling [Gloucestershire]

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong or Jardine 1861 census Ancestry.com and SP
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 March 18 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hannah,

Thank you for your interest and for alerting me again to a long forgotten post.  Yes, we have gleaned a lot more information about the family since then.  The next generation has taken over the research including DNA tests with a number of family members.  Not that we have found the identity of the father(s) in question (which we may never do), but we have established that for OH's line, anyway, the ancestral father's name was not Armstrong.

Thank you again for your interest, and for inspiring us to revisit our notes.  Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey