Author Topic: FINDLATER  (Read 9179 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: FINDLATER
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 January 07 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Jean,

Happy New Year to you.

This was posted on the Some Ayrshire Deaths in 1865 website

Alexander Findlater, 47, October 29, 1865 at Maybole, Labourer, Widower of Sarah Hewit,
Thomas Findlater, General Dealer (dec) and Mary Bone (?) (dec) John Brown, Nephew.

Chris

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 January 07 20:12 GMT (UK) »
wonderful link my friend, very useful no doubt to all those with family in ayrshire

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 January 07 20:17 GMT (UK) »
There were still Findlaters in Ireland. The Findlater Brewery which was a rival to Guinness closed in 1949. There was a department store named Findlaters in Findlater Street. It closed about the 1970s and there is also a Findlater Church in Dublin. 

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 January 07 20:24 GMT (UK) »
christopher my friend, the findlater family that jean is researching came over to scotland around 1836/1837 is there any mention of them in ireland around the 1830's?

joe

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 January 07 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Only the ones in Dublin at the time of Griffiths Valuation in the city 1848-51 There were eleven heads of household and two of them were named Alexander.  I'd imagine most of them were born prior to 1820 if
they were a head of household by 1848. The question is where were they before Dublin. They may be
a Scottish family who did some toing and froing between Scotland and Ireland as there are the ruins of 
a Findlater Castle in Aberdeen.

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 January 07 20:46 GMT (UK) »
hi pal, i think that this is a county down family, alexander the oldest it seems is the son of mary, i think that mary was a widow when she came over to scotland with her family and that her husband may have also been called alexander.

as you can notice from the earlier posts on this thread, mary was given the birth year of 1781, so we maybe can assume that alexander may have been 1775-1780 and may have died around the 1830's in ireland.

it would be a wonderful start to the new year for jean if you can find anything in ireland concerning her family

Joe

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 January 07 21:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm not there yet. Still looking. The Findlater Museum in Dublin would relate to the family that owned the brewery and department store. They must have been philanthropists as there's the Findlater Church too as well as scholarships which have their name attached in some Irish universities.

I've tracked down mention of Alexander Findlater who lived at Kingstown (Dun Laioghaire) in 1843.  That was in Nick Reddan's Newspaper Extracts ... Freeman's Journal (Dublin) 1843.

Ros Davie's Co. Down Ireland Genealogical Research Site mentions ...
Miss Elizabeth Findlater, wife of William Clarke; mother of Susan b. 1870. That would mean Elizabeth was probably born in the 1840s.

Should I try Brown or Cowan in Ireland?

Offline jeanhemm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 January 07 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris and Joe

Thanks for your input.  I have found the Urquhart Census of Portpatrick of 1832-1834 which suggests that there was on Findlater there.  I would think that it was Thomas as he seems to have married Elizabeth McClurg or McCleod in Kirkcolm in 1831.

Thomas Findlater c 1781 was a general dealer as listed in son Alexander's obit in Ayrshire Deaths 1865.  This may fit with some of the information Chris has provided but I have no idea which part of Ireland they are from.

Mary Cowan married Thomas Findlater (c1781) probably sometime around 1800-1808. 

I am not sure of a connection beteen the Findlaters in the Highlands. 

Are there any more of these lists available (such as the Urquhart Census)?

Jean
DERRY - Nelson, Johnston, Dobbins 
NORFOLK, STAFFORDSHIRE, BIRMINGHAM - Semmence, Seamons, Seaman, Semman
NORFOLK - Stark, Love
STIRLINGSHIRE - Bulloch
IRELAND, WIGTOWNSHIRE, AYRSHIRE - Findlater 
GLOUCESTERSHIRE. WORCESTERSHIRE - Hemming 
IRELAND, SHEFFIELD, BIRMINGHAM - Goulding 
BIRMINGHAM - Howe, Roberts, Adams
IRELAND, GLASSFORD - Richmond, Reid

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 January 07 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Jean,

Do we need to look for Hewitts in Ireland ... Sarah (Hewitt) Findlater ?

I've looked at Irish Ancestors Surname Search. Findlater is rare in Ireland: Dublin, Down. Scottish, from placename in Banffshire. I cross checked Finlay and Cowan. Dublin and Dublin City are the only places
shown as having the two surnames in the same parish in Ireland during the time of the Valuation 1848 - 64.

Chris