Author Topic: A "fun" one to find  (Read 8388 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
A "fun" one to find
« on: Wednesday 03 January 07 00:31 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for hubby's GGGG Grandmother, Euphan Sives / Sevice / Sevis / Sivis  for about 11 years and had no luck pinpointing her exact date of birth or place because her name changes so much. Then on New years Eve I had  emails from 2 cousins (both different lines) who also has this name in their trees. When we compared notes we found we had the same person so I was able to go back to Euphan's Grandparents. And this is where we are having the fun part. The surname has changed so much in just 3 generations that we have hit a brick wall.

Would some kind soul be able to help with a bit of advice or lookup please? Here are the details we have so far

EUPHAN SIVES b 1759 DIRLETON, EAST LOTHIAN

d/o  JOHN SIBBES b MAY 1720 DIRLETON & NICHOLAS CLERK b JAN 1719 ABERLADY, EAST LOTHIAN. MARRIED 1744 DIRLETON

PARENTS OF JOHN SIBBES ARE ADAM SIBBES b Abt 1695 DIRLETON & MARGARET KUN / COON / CUN b DEC 1689 DIRLETON. MARRIED JUNE 1719 WHITEKIRK, EAST LOTHIAN

Now we have tried to find the birth of Adam but the only one we can find is:

ADAM SEVISE b 12 MAY 1692 ATHELSTONEFORD, EAST LOTHIAN TO WILLIAM SEVISE AND BESS SINKLAR

We also found another son named John  Sevis in Dec 1689 to the same couple

Now, if we sent for the marriage cert of Adam and margaret Kun / Coon / Cun would it possibly have the parents names on it? We weren't too sure with it being in the early 1700's

We have now found that there is another form of spelling the name so now we have

SIVES , SEVIS, SEVICE, SEVISE, SIVIS, CHIVAS, CHIVES

Anyone wanting to help three people who are going crazy looking? please... :-\

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A "fun" one to find
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 12:34 GMT (UK) »
This is the era of parish registers and no set format.  The ScotlandsPeople site gives the following information about what you would get if you wanted to order an extract:

Images of OPR’s are not yet available on this site. Due to their physical layout, the task of linking images to the correct indexes is proving problematic. Progress updates will be posted in Availability. However, you can order an extract of the relevant entry. See Extract Orders Extracts will usually be a facsimile image of the register entry on extract stationery. A transcript of the entry will also be issued if the filmed image is unreadable or otherwise illegible. Please note that in many cases the entry will contain little information over and above that contained in the index entry. See Extracts for information on what you might expect to find on an extract from the OPR records.

EXTRACTS

An extract from the OPR’s is a facsimile image of the parish register entry in which you are interested, on extract stationery. A transcript of the entry will also be issued if the filmed image is unreadable or otherwise illegible.

Do not expect too much from OPR records. You may well find that there is little or no additional information contained in the register over and above what you have seen in the index entry. Since there was no standard format employed, record keeping varied enormously from parish to parish and from year to year, depending largely on the diligence of the record-keeper. As a result, the amount of information recorded can be variable and may prove difficult to decipher, particularly if the condition of the register is poor due to, for example, damp, or faded lettering.
and
Banns & marriages

Parish register entries may record the date(s) of the proclamation or the marriage date itself or both.

At best, you may find the following: date(s) of the proclamation of intended marriage and/or date of marriage, names of bride and groom and their parish of residence, sometimes the occupation of the groom and occasionally the name of the bride’s father. At worst, you may only find the names of the bride and groom recorded along with the fee paid in caution, or that marriages are not recorded at all between certain years (as in Alyth parish between July 1754 and February 1786).

Please note the words : At best

The earliest baptism entries for Athelstaneford and for Direlton are 1664, same for marriages.  Whitekirk's baptism records don't begin until 1705.  Other parishes might be different.  The task would not be easy at all.  The earlier the date, the less information there may be.  :(

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 12:36 GMT (UK) »
It may be advisable to wait a few weeks  to see if Scotlands People can fulfil their promise to have the OPR's images online by the end of January

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you both for your help. Hopefully we should get something once SP fulfil their promise

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline norbersives

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Give me your email and I invite you to see my family tree. There are some Burns
To be able to unite the Sives family (from Argentina) with the Sives family (from Scotland)