Author Topic: Somerset Online Parish Clerk Project  (Read 80841 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Somerset Online Parish Clerk Project
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 May 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
Pleased to hear the good news from both Somerset and Wiltshire. Hopefully someone will resurrect the Lincolnshire OPC?
Don't forget the new Lincolnshire website, see separate thread about it!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Heather24Anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 08:30 BST (UK) »
Seven years ago the Online Parish Clerk program began in Cornwall.  Since then similar projects have been established in Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, Kent, Wiltshire, Warwickshire, and Lancashire  In Dec 2006 a project was undertaken for Somerset. The aim of the scheme is to further research in family, local, social and economic history by making freely available records relating to a parish.

The Somerset OPC project is currently focused on, but not restricted to the parishes within the Archdeaconry of Taunton.  We are still very much in an evolutionary phase and our website and database at wsom-opc.org.uk is growing steadily as new data is donated and volunteers come forward to adopt a parish as an Online Parish Clerk or OPC. Transciption of parish records is encourages but this is not essential to becoming an OPC. 

A volunteer will find the work rewarding, it may help identify further sources for research and will generally add to your knowledge of parish life through the centuries. If you work on a parish where you have ancestors, you may well add to your knowledge of your own family links as a result of your efforts.

Are you interested in joining the team? If so, please contact me and I can give you further details. If you have transcriptions you would like to donate to the site, but feel unable/unwilling to be an OPC,  please let us know. All donations of transcripts, photographs, articles and general historical information are very welcome.

I have tried using this one - I have found some ancesters but not as many as I hoped.
Watts, Rumming, Williams, Hamlen, White, Whiting, Stokes, Jones, Allen, Wheeler, Bright, Crabb, Wootten, Longman, Hitchings, Munday, Goater, Draper, Brown, Sainsbury, Higgins

Grandparents grew up in Oldfield Park & Twerton Hill, Bath & Southstoke, just south of Bath.
Earlier generations: Southstoke, Combe Down, Monkton Combe, English Combe, Hinton Charterhouse, Lyncombe and Widcombe;
also Bradford on Avon, Corsham, & rural Wiltshire;
Williams - Weymouth, Crabb - Bridport, & Southampton

Offline Maggiemcp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I would be interested in transcribing parish records.  Currently I am working for FreeBMD and transcribing 1845 births, June quarter.  Obviously as some of my ancesters came from Chard in Somerset that is the area I am most insterested in.
Maggie

Offline Heather24Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 12:43 BST (UK) »
Seven years ago the Online Parish Clerk program began in Cornwall.  Since then similar projects have been established in Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, Kent, Wiltshire, Warwickshire, and Lancashire  In Dec 2006 a project was undertaken for Somerset. The aim of the scheme is to further research in family, local, social and economic history by making freely available records relating to a parish.

The Somerset OPC project is currently focused on, but not restricted to the parishes within the Archdeaconry of Taunton.  We are still very much in an evolutionary phase and our website and database at wsom-opc.org.uk is growing steadily as new data is donated and volunteers come forward to adopt a parish as an Online Parish Clerk or OPC. Transciption of parish records is encourages but this is not essential to becoming an OPC. 

A volunteer will find the work rewarding, it may help identify further sources for research and will generally add to your knowledge of parish life through the centuries. If you work on a parish where you have ancestors, you may well add to your knowledge of your own family links as a result of your efforts.

Are you interested in joining the team? If so, please contact me and I can give you further details. If you have transcriptions you would like to donate to the site, but feel unable/unwilling to be an OPC,  please let us know. All donations of transcripts, photographs, articles and general historical information are very welcome.

How does the volunteering work?  I don't have a computer, so would need to use a student computer at work or the public library, althoug htaht has a time limit of 2 hours and limited opening hours.  I might have some time in July and August, but it all depends on the logistics.  My interest is English Combe, Southstoke, and Hinton Charterhouse as well as Bradford-on-Avon and Corsham.
Watts, Rumming, Williams, Hamlen, White, Whiting, Stokes, Jones, Allen, Wheeler, Bright, Crabb, Wootten, Longman, Hitchings, Munday, Goater, Draper, Brown, Sainsbury, Higgins

Grandparents grew up in Oldfield Park & Twerton Hill, Bath & Southstoke, just south of Bath.
Earlier generations: Southstoke, Combe Down, Monkton Combe, English Combe, Hinton Charterhouse, Lyncombe and Widcombe;
also Bradford on Avon, Corsham, & rural Wiltshire;
Williams - Weymouth, Crabb - Bridport, & Southampton

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 June 11 14:18 BST (UK) »
When does Somerset OPC expect to transcribe the parishes in the Horethorne area please?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline sheppardj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 June 11 15:49 BST (UK) »
The quick answer is when someone volunteers to take on the job!
Cornwall (Antony/Torpoint): SHEPPARD, VIGUS, HORDEN, WILLIAMS, VINCENT, SAMMELS, BASTARD
Somerset, (Bridgwater/Stogursey): SHEPHERD
Norfolk (Cranworth):CORY
Middlesex (London): CORY, FARMER
Kent (Erith/Gravesend/Staplehurst): FARMER, MACKEY

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 June 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
The quick answer is when someone volunteers to take on the job!
Just wish I had the time.

Offline sheppardj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 June 11 17:11 BST (UK) »
You could also check directly with Ian Sage the current project coordinator (coord@wsom-opc.org.uk) to see what is in the pipeline.  Also check FreeReg (http://www.freereg.org.uk/parishes/som/frontpage.shtml) as we are working closely with them on transcribing the parish registers.

Jim
Cornwall (Antony/Torpoint): SHEPPARD, VIGUS, HORDEN, WILLIAMS, VINCENT, SAMMELS, BASTARD
Somerset, (Bridgwater/Stogursey): SHEPHERD
Norfolk (Cranworth):CORY
Middlesex (London): CORY, FARMER
Kent (Erith/Gravesend/Staplehurst): FARMER, MACKEY

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 June 11 15:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tips, will investigate further.