Author Topic: Searching for info...  (Read 6923 times)

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 2x Gt Grandmother, Catherine M Turner
    • View Profile
Searching for info...
« on: Monday 08 January 07 01:04 GMT (UK) »
I have just started researching my family tree, i know very little about my fathers side, as have not had much communication with him or his family. Does anyone have any links to these people.

My great grandparents:
Edna Foster (nee Marshall)
Edward Foster
From what i have heard they came to New Zealand from England or Australia,

Other great grandparents:
Muriel Elizabeth Carlton (nee Truelove) Born early 1900s in England. Came to NZ when she was in her late teens with her family.
Alan Durwood Carlton, would really like to know where he originated from, I have just been given info that he died in 1962. So I now know where he is buried, thanks to a very nice researcher on familytreecircles!

I think all this family settled and stuck around the lower north island, especially lower hutt area.

This is all i know and seem to be coming up with nothing.
Any help or people with links to this family?
Thanks
Cat

Have modified this as some names were wrong when i started the post! Have corrected them, sorry to all that have been trying to hunt down the Fosters!! :-[
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline Kate NZ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for info...
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 January 07 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cat all I have found is Taita Old Monumental Lower Hutt
Edna Foster Cemetery Record Aug 28th 1977
Alan Durwood carlton July 17th 1962 Taita Old Monumental.
You could get their death certs which would tell youi their parents

Good Luck in your search KateNZ :D
Borders Ettrick Brydon/Bryden Smeal Tait
East Lothian King Pryde Skirvin<br />Lauder Berwick   Murdison Watson<br />Midlothian  Smail Hamilton <br />Glasgow Bryan<br />Clackmannan Todd Ramsay <br />Shetland Isles Nelson Hubbys side<br />East Sussex Fellows Hutchinson Branscombe<br />London Bowers <br />Devon Branscombe <br />Devon French Bird Dommett Hubbys side<br />Ireland Fitzgerald Bryan Burns.

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 January 07 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate NZ

Thanks for that, i think i will get some certs on them, i don't know any dates at all so its making some things a little difficult, would be alright if i had contact with that side of the family, but my attempt has not been returned as yet! I thought my mothers side was going to be more difficult but i have tracked back to 2x my gt gt grandparents on my grandmothers side now. Finding it easier researching family in the 1800s then it is to research early 1900s! Especially when there are marriages or babies out of wedlock!  England seems to have alot of places to search yet my family seems to evade all records!
For example my last name is Bishop and it only dates back to my gt grandfather he was the only child in the family with that name, its like his mother just grabbed it out of thin air! She had 3 last names that i have come up with so far, maiden and 2 marriages, none to a Bishop! 
I enjoy doing this research but i think some things i may have to get a pro in for them to be resolved! ::)
Once again thanks
Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline DelBoy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kiwi Born n' Bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 January 07 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there ,

Marriage

Year   1942
Folio   10158
Surname   CARLTON
Given Names   Alan Durward
Sex   M
Spouse   TRUELOVE, Muriel Elizabeth

If you want to give me the name of your ancester, that seemed to "pluck", the Bishop name out of thin air, I can check the NZ marriages index 1836-1956 for you, to see if we can solve the mystery.

Cheers
Del
Saunders/Sanders,Owen,Owens,Darrach,Wilson, Cardon,Gurney,Edwards, Holmes,Smith, Ohlson,Homewood,Shaw,Semple,Merrill,Smithyman,McCallum,Winslade,Morton,Hill,Donahoe,Inglis, Moore, Morgan, Lawrence/Laurence, Owen, Owens, Skelton,Steele, Caldwell, Wood, Parish,Read,Donaldson, Hill,Farren,Carnley, Bradford, Dugard, Lindsell, Restall, Plus many many more surnames, varied countries

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 January 07 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Delboy

Thanks for that! The Bishop i mentioned started in England so wouldn't be anything in the NZ index sorry. Thanks for the offer though!

Do you know if there was a marriage for Edgar Foster and Edna Walker in that index? They may have married in England, but i don't know for sure.

Thanks Cat

Offline DelBoy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kiwi Born n' Bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 January 07 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cat,

No marriage for Edna and Edgar sorry.

Cheers
Del
Saunders/Sanders,Owen,Owens,Darrach,Wilson, Cardon,Gurney,Edwards, Holmes,Smith, Ohlson,Homewood,Shaw,Semple,Merrill,Smithyman,McCallum,Winslade,Morton,Hill,Donahoe,Inglis, Moore, Morgan, Lawrence/Laurence, Owen, Owens, Skelton,Steele, Caldwell, Wood, Parish,Read,Donaldson, Hill,Farren,Carnley, Bradford, Dugard, Lindsell, Restall, Plus many many more surnames, varied countries

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cat,

Found some things on Muriel...

Name TRUELOVE, M 
Vessel RIMUTAKA: Departed:SOUTHAMPTON Arrived:AUCKLAND 14 Feb 1921 
Notes Female. Title: MISS. Age: 15. Occupation: SCHOLAR. Place of birth: ENGLAND. 
Source Archives NZ reference: BBAO 5552/8a page: 159 

And from www.freebmd.org she was born in the Jan/Feb/March quarter of 1905 in the Lambeth district which would cover South London.  Means it's the right person turning up on the Rimutaka. :D

Apologies if you already have this data.

Cheers

Bunny 8)
Finey - Hants, Sussex, Portsmouth area
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
Bourdot - N.Ireland/France
McKinley - N.Ireland
Quelch - Northamptonshire

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 07:39 GMT (UK) »
And are these yours too??

Name FOSTER, E 
Vessel MAHENO: Departed:SYDNEY Arrived:AUCKLAND 02 Feb 1920 
Notes Male. Title: MR. Age: 27. Place of birth: BRITISH. 
Source Archives NZ reference: BBAO 5552/7a page: 121 

~~~~~~~~

Name FOSTER, E 
Vessel MAHENO: Departed:SYDNEY Arrived:AUCKLAND 02 Feb 1920 
Notes Female. Title: MRS. Age: 21. Place of birth: BRITISH. 
Source Archives NZ reference: BBAO 5552/7a page: 121 

It's quite possibly Edgar and Edna coming into Nz.

Cheers

Bunny 8)
Finey - Hants, Sussex, Portsmouth area
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
Bourdot - N.Ireland/France
McKinley - N.Ireland
Quelch - Northamptonshire

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Bunny

Wow thats great, it seems to all fit with Edgar and Edna because family have been saying that there is a link to australia. Yet saying that it was convicts (little too late for that obviously and they were born in England by the looks lol). we just want to dig up something juicy i'm sure! apart from Agriculiture labs.

Thank you so much Bunny, that is fantastic info which i think fits very nicely! You have just given me a big boost in motivation.

Thanks, Cat