Author Topic: Cobham family  (Read 2114 times)

Offline doug_cobham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cobham family
« on: Tuesday 09 January 07 08:31 GMT (UK) »
CAN ANY ONE pleas HELP

I am looking for all BMD of my cobham family in Croston .Mawdesley and Runfford 1600 to 1800

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cobham family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Have you searched on Lancs OPC http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/cgi-bin/mkindx.cgi?parish=Croston&type=Parish&community=? my search just now found 71 entries for Cobham - mostly in Croston
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paulcobham

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 22:36 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any of my family. My name is Paul Cobham. My father wa from Croston named Peter Cobham. He passed in 88. Married to June. Mother Mary Father Arthur.
Regards

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 22:42 BST (UK) »
I am looking for all BMD of my cobham family in Croston .Mawdesley and Runfford 1600 to 1800

That is rather a big ask - for someone to look up a whole family tree just like that!!! That is not how it works. Family History can take years and years, taking one step at a time.

As you know your father's parents names, start with them. Do you know his Mums maiden name? It will be on his birth cert.  Can you then find their marriage? Their marriage cert will give father's names. Once you get back to census era (1841-1911) then they are valuable sources to help you move back.  BMD's can be looked for on www.freebmd.org as you go. Certificates ordered from www.gro.gov.uk.    Make sure you verify things from as many angles as you can before moving on - it is very easy to go off following the wrong person!

We are more than happy to help on here - so if you get stuck at any point do come back and ask- But no, we cant just look it all up just like that!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 22:46 BST (UK) »
WHOOPS! Sorry - just realised that the two posts were from different people - one asking for 200 years of look ups, and someone different with the father's parents names! 

The principals I explained still apply.

Apologies though for lumping you together!
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 22:52 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any of my family. My name is Paul Cobham. My father wa from Croston named Peter Cobham. He passed in 88. Married to June. Mother Mary Father Arthur.
Regards
Peter Anthony Cobham b 28th August 1946 died December 1988 Preston & South Ribble aged 42?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 08:21 BST (UK) »
Birth

Jul/Aug/Sep 1946
Southport
10f 1003
Peter Anthony Cobham
mothers maiden name Hudson

Marriage

Ap/MAy/Jun 1946
Southport
8b 1922
Arthur Cobham / Mary J Hudson
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 16:24 BST (UK) »
Cobham is a major name in the basketmaking industry of Mawdesley. There is a picture on Lancashire Lantern of Robert Cobham's basket works on New St.

You will find the Cobhams marrying other local names, such as Iddon, Hunter and Bentham. Everyone in the area appears to be related to everyone else. My Benthams are linked to Cobhams in half a dozen different ways.

If you would like to know a little about Mawdesley in 1871, have a look at the article written by "Atticus" and published in the Preston Guardian. You can find a copy at www.andrewalston.co.uk/lancashirechurches.html
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.