Author Topic: Barclay/Peebles, Kilbirnie  (Read 3474 times)

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine o'n dh'thainic
    • View Profile
Barclay/Peebles, Kilbirnie
« on: Tuesday 09 January 07 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in James Barclay who married Janet Peebles in Kilbirnie, 1824. They had at least two children, James (1825) and Janet (1827). James later moved to Lochwinnoch and New Monkland. Any information appreciated, thanks.

Janet
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline Searching241

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information
    • View Profile
Re: Barclay/Peebles, Kilbirnie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 April 16 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi! Im Joseph McTaggart and Ive seen your Ad. Im from Kilbirnie and I have a picture of the Kilbirnie Gospel Hall Elders around 1900 and theres four men in it, one called "peebles" and one called "barclay". I was aware the families had inter married . One of them was a friend of my great great grandparents, who had emigrated to new york.  I have a Bible cover inscribed as a gift between them.

feel free to connect with me.... Im sure I have other info to share.

joseph
McTaggart, Brisco, Warnock, Aikman, Glass, Hay, Loughran

Offline Searching241

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 16 09:49 BST (UK) »
tha gaelic agad?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 May 16 13:31 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Searching241

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 May 16 16:11 BST (UK) »
Sandra, fantastic info thankyou,
You are like a detective

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 August 16 22:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I only just picked up this message. Do you have a scan of the Kilbirnie Gospel hall elders photo that you could post on here? Sounds interesting.
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline Searching241

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 11:22 BST (UK) »
Elders of Glengarnock Reading Room (Its not Kilbirnie Gospel Hall, but the same denomination in the same village):

I believe that left to write they are, John Montgomery  Barclay, William Rabey,  Charlie loughlin and John Peebles I have other pictures. 

Theres also  another picture enclosed of a Bible gifted to John M Barclay from Sam Warnock 1929 in Irvington New York. I have pictures of the cover etc too if you want to see it.  Sam had immigrated there,  Montgomery (as he was known) went there too but I know they didnt travel or live together so its likely he went to another part.  I know they helped build up the Gospel Hall there. He became quite famous as a preacher,  I am in contact with other members of his family if you want me to put you in touch.

He is mentioned here http://www.plymouthbrethren.org/article/5989

I see you also have "Hays" in your tree, me too from Ayrshire. Can we connect about that?

I believe this is also him

Name:   John Barclay
Birth Date:   25 Jul 1862
Birthplace:   KILBIRNIE,AYR,SCOTLAND
Father's Name:   James Barclay
Father's Birthplace:   
Father's Age:   
Mother's Name:   Mary Mckenzie
Mother's Birthplace:   
Mother's Age:   

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 August 16 22:09 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling this James may be from another branch of the family; my direct ancestor (James) left Kilbirnie around 1850, moving firstly to Lochwinnoch and later to Glasgow. There were quite a number of Barclays in Kilbirnie.

(The Rootsweb post that Sandra linked to above was made by me a good many years back.)

My Hay family weren't from Ayrshire, but from Perthshire, and the link is by marriage.