Author Topic: ALBONE - Biggleswade  (Read 24554 times)

Offline snoulton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ALBONE - Biggleswade
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 January 09 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I have an interest in Eleanor Albone c. 1832 Biggleswade, dau. of Thomas and Sarah Albone. I she of interest to anyone else?

Regards, Brenda

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 March 09 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to butt-in! Are any of these Albones connected to the Ann Albone of Arlesey b c 1790 who married a John Newberry in 1810?? I would be grateful for any info on the connection between the Newberry Family and Albones and the Anselms--trying to make sense of the Newberry family has stumped me!!!
Sally
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ALBONE - Arlesey
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Paulene - can you post your line from Clifford to Abraham and I (or someone else!) will take a look? I have quite a few Albones from Arlesey in my tree, but they've all married into my family, and none of them direct line, so I've never joined up the dots. It's about time I looked at them in more depth!

Sally -  I have Arlesey transcript and will take a look at the Newberrys if you could let me know the problem. I have a couple of Newberrys from adjoining Ickleford, Herts, in my tree, but don't know if they connect to Arlesey. Have you seen the thread at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,135132.0.html ?

It might be better to start new threads for each topic as this thread is impossible to follow since GILL77 deleted her posts - possibly the one off post asking for details of living Albones had something to do with it - after posting, the writer has never even signed in again to see if there was a reply!

David, bored in France!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 10:45 GMT (UK) »
David,
thank-you so much for the link to last Newberry thread. I am about to start new topic-will be a few minutes while I retrieve my "problem" re Newberry!!
Sally
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
Thank you for replying :)
Clifford Albone (Albon as we knew him) is on the 1901 census with his parents, Fred and Margaret:
RG13   Piece 1498   Folio 33   Page 13
Although his baptism doesn't seem to be on the IGI, his parents' marriage is:
Frederick Albone to Margaret Ann Gregory
14 Jun 1886,  Arlesey, Bedfordshire
This gives Frederick's father's name as Ephraim Albone, which fits in the previous census information I have found for Frederick/Fred.
This is Frederick and his family in 1881:
RG11 Piece 1629 Folio 19 Page 31.
Please let me know if you need any further information, David.
Thank you for your help.
Paulene :)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 21:09 GMT (UK) »
There is so much garbage on the IGI that one of these Arlesey Albons must have emigrated to Utah.

Have you found Ephraim in 1841, before he married? I can't see him.

I'd go to bed and look at them in the morning but the test match in the West Indies is too tense!

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
I couldn't find Ephraim on the 1841 census either - but there are many which are very hard to read on the Arlesey pages. (Possible one that might say Ephraim on page 5 - but not at all  sure).
Found his marriage to Mary Newberry on 13 July 1846, Arlesey St. Peters.
Then, on the 1851 census he and Mary are living with her parents David and Phoebe Newberry, at Arlesey.
It's intersting to see that although Ephraim is down as being born in Arlesey on the 1851 census, that he's entered as being born at Vine, Langford, on the 1861 census.
So, I had a look to see where this is - and it is mid way between Arlesey and Astwick - which would fit in with the baptism (parish register entry) at Astwick in 1828. This states that his parents were Abraham and Elisabeth Albone.

It is possible Elizabeth/Elisabeth died in 1830 (on NBI) and Abraham married again, but I'm not certain of this, David.

Let me know what you think, David.
No rush - enjoy the cricket!

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paulene

I don't know why, but there are a lot of illegible pages in Beds on Ancestry where the image on my CDrom set from Stepping Stones is perfectly clear. I find I have to refer to the CDrom a lot.

And by so doing I think I may have found him! There's an Ephraim Albon aged 10 at reference HO107/3/1 folio 17A page 32. He's the 5th entry from the top. Don't tell me you missed it too! (don't worry if you did, the whole family is totally blank)

Edward Stanford 76 farmer Not b in Beds
Mary Stanford 70 B in Beds
Elizabeth Stanford 29 B in Beds
William Stanford 20 ag lab b in Beds
Ephraim Albon 10 ag lab b in Beds

It would have been nice if he'd been with his family, but I don't think it's necessary.

Mary Stanford's maiden name was Cooper, and she was a sister of my 4xg grandfather! But I'm pretty certain that she wasn't connected to the Albons.

I agree with your line back to Abraham. His first wife, the mother of Ephraim, was Elizabeth Cobb, baptised at Arlesey (all vital events are Arlesey unless stated otherwise) 17 Mar 1793 which ties in with the burial of Elizabeth Albon aged 38 on 5 June 1830. That leaves the way clear for Abraham to have married Sarah Hall at Langford on 11 Sep 1830. I believe she was the widow of John Hall and her maiden name was Hine. In 1851 their grand daughter Jane Hall age 12 was living with them (and probably in 1841 as well aged 2 but enumerated as Albon, transcribed as Abbon). She was baptised on 16 Apr 1843 aged 5, daughter of Sarah Hall, who was the daughter of John and Sarah. In 1841 Abraham and Sarah also had Thomas aged 15 living with them - I think he too may have been baptised at Astwick (my parents married there!) but the PR may be in error as his father is named as Edward, and mother Elizabeth. I haven't double checked to see if there really was an Edward and Elizabeth Albone.

Abraham was baptised on 14 April 1796, the son of Thomas and Mary.

Thomas Albon married Mary Lyne on 2 Apr 1793. Thomas was baptised on 9 Dec 1770, the son of Abraham and Ann

Abraham Albon married Ann Myatt on 8 Mar 1770.

And that was as far as I got last night before I got sidetracked by the cricket, which ended up in an anticlimax, at least for me!

I'll carry on this afternoon if my son and his two little friends will allow me to use the computer

I noticed that Ephraim gave Langford as his birthplace in one of the late censuses, 1901, I think, from memory. Glad you've sorted that out!

You say "Then, on the 1851 census he and Mary are living with her parents David and Phoebe Newberry". Phoebe was actually David's daughter, not his wife.

More later

David

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
Thank you for all the hard work you're putting into this.
After I came off rootschat last night I found the abbon family, and thought that probably was them.
Finally managed to make out the surname Albon on page 32, by making the page yellow, et etc, but still couldn't see the Ephraim - is it very small writing, David.
For interest; there are still quite a few of my husband's mum's family in the Arlesey area - Albon/Albones, Dear, Leggate, etc. Connie's father, Cliff, went off to train as a male nurse, with his wife Alice, but many of the family still live in Hitchin and Arlesey today.
I have to go off for a doctors appointment, but will be back on the case later.
Once again, thank you so much for your help.
Kind regards.
Makes it so much more easy when they stay in one place - can't for the life of me find where mine came from!