Author Topic: place or house name ?  (Read 6073 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: place or house name ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 January 07 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tac

See also my other post.

Borth, especially in 1901, was basically a one street village on the coast and parallel to it.   There were and are a number of short streets going inland from the main street.   These are very short because Borth Bog or Cors y Fochno curtailed much development inland.

Upper Borth is different insofar as it is located on higher ground to the south.   Here the development was and is limited by the steepness of the hills and cliffs.     Development was generally to the seaward side of the coast road south to Clarach and thence Aberystwyth.

If Cartref was not in Upper Borth then there is a very strong possibility is was on the main street.

Cheers Dave

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline tac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 January 07 11:47 GMT (UK) »
hi dave,
             yes the borth im looking for is just one long street
i have found it on a map.this look-up is for my sister- in-
 law ,as her grandmother lived there in the 1930,s but the grandmother said she was born there ,and thats what i am trying to find,as she was born in 1885, she should be there.
but i havent found her yet
                                        regards
                                                tac
goodhew,sittingbourne.
raymond, dulwich?
stacey, berkshire(inkpen)
crabb, aveley essex.
clarke, west ham
williams, borth, cardigan.
broad, barrow green teynham
crabb, essex
ansell, woolwich, west ham

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 January 07 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried requesting a lookup for 1891?   If not, perhaps some kind soul will be able to do so.

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline tac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 January 07 12:02 GMT (UK) »
yes i have , but the problem is not knowing the mother or fathers name, and only knowing her married names.and the name of the cottage where she lived must have been called something else before 1901
so im realy hoping someone out there knows this family from borth.
goodhew,sittingbourne.
raymond, dulwich?
crabb, aveley essex.
clarke, west ham
crabb, essex

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 January 07 12:18 GMT (UK) »
You might like to try the Ceredigion Record Office, their web site is http://www.archifdy-ceredigion.org.uk

The ladies are most helpful and Aberystwyth is only 5 miles south of Borth.   Between them they have a wealth of knowledge of the local area.   They may be able to find information from such sources as Electoral Rolls etc.

Best of luck, Dave

Offline tac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 January 07 12:26 GMT (UK) »
yes been there back last year ,they found the people in 1935 on th electrol roll,and i emailed them back willing to pay for a search but they never got back to me,but it looks like  i will have to email again
                  regards
                            tac
goodhew,sittingbourne.
raymond, dulwich?
crabb, aveley essex.
clarke, west ham
crabb, essex