Author Topic: Banffshire Monumental Inscriptions  (Read 4522 times)

Offline debi-robo

• RootsChat Extra
  • From one little nut grew the mighty oak tree
    • View Profile
Banffshire Monumental Inscriptions
« on: Friday 12 January 07 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Thought i should post this terrific site.

The Aberdeen and North-East Scotland family History Society
 have transcribed and indexed a lot of Monumental Inscriptions in  the Banffshire Area
these are searchable by parish or surname.

http://www.abdnet.co.uk/mi-index/
ROBERTSON/ TRACEY/ MCKELVIE/ SUTHERLAND/ GARDNER/ IMRIE
KANE/ MCGEOWN/ MALONE/ MCCULLOCH/ MCDOUGALL/ FERGUSON

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline possum_pie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Banffshire Monumental Inscriptions
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 May 07 00:38 BST (UK) »
My goodness!!  That site is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!
WADE, WALSHAW, CAFFREY, HALEY, HEALEY, TYAS, CROPPER, REDFORD, MCCOLL, FRASER, FRAZER

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 May 07 15:06 BST (UK) »
great site  well done to all who made it

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 June 07 17:25 BST (UK) »
hi just a word of warning - the family history society that does this goes out ONCE a year and does a whole days sprint transcribing - undoubtedly there are numerous mistakes made...i would use the info as a starting point and then dig deeper...

Iv been told this by bordering Moray who iv been out transcribing with who go out regularly and do the job thoroughly...
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Angelcat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 November 09 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I must say that I think that Gavin Bell and his team of dedicated transcribers of MIs from the Aberdeen and North East Scotland FHS  would take pretty dim view of this description of their work.  While it is correct that there is an Annual Graveyard outing, if more than one visit it required to complete a kirkyard, then more than one visit will be made. A series of visits by small teams will take place until all the data has been checked and double checked.  Their series of MI booklets is, I believe, a most excellent achievement and anyone looking for a gravestone in this area could also check their online site which includes names from kirkyards not yet published (as they are still in process of being updated and checked!).

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Copied from an ambrotype of unidentified ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Totally agreeing with Angelcat.  I've found lots of ancestors there, and good leads online for possible death dates.

Remember that you can also see the whole entry in the appropriate MI booklet.  These are very reasonably priced.  The three latest booklets are for Kinellar MIs (£2.40+p&p), Kintore MIs (3.00+), and Lower Donside Minor Burial Grounds MIs (£3.00+).
Aberdeenshire: GARDEN, BEATTIE, DUNN, DAVIDSON, BRAIK, JAFFRAY; JAMIESON, THOM, HAY, SCOTT
Morayshire: MACKAY, MURRAY, KENNEDY, ROSS, SMITH, MILNE; MORRISON, STEWART, PENNY, DEAN, McCONNACHIE