Author Topic: Help finding Ann MACDONALD born about 1800  (Read 6415 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding Ann MACDONALD born about 1800
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 January 07 00:32 GMT (UK) »
I did a quick Google search that came up with this:

http://www.russell.mcdonald.btinternet.co.uk/McDonald/137.htm

Do you know the person? Might be worth getting in touch. :)

Thanks hume, no I hadn't seen that before, I will go and have a look at the page now.
Thank you!
Prue

Offline jeanhemm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 January 07 11:07 GMT (UK) »
1861 Census 107/1  ED 2  Page 16 Entry 14 

Alexander McDonald Age 84  Farmer (10 Acres Land )
Jane McDonald 47  General Servant
Isabella McDonald 36  General Servant

Address: Rychraggan 
All born Urquhart, Inverness

DERRY - Nelson, Johnston, Dobbins 
NORFOLK, STAFFORDSHIRE, BIRMINGHAM - Semmence, Seamons, Seaman, Semman
NORFOLK - Stark, Love
STIRLINGSHIRE - Bulloch
IRELAND, WIGTOWNSHIRE, AYRSHIRE - Findlater 
GLOUCESTERSHIRE. WORCESTERSHIRE - Hemming 
IRELAND, SHEFFIELD, BIRMINGHAM - Goulding 
BIRMINGHAM - Howe, Roberts, Adams
IRELAND, GLASSFORD - Richmond, Reid

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 January 07 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jean  :)
That could be Ann's father, but I don't have enough information about his children to be certain  :-\  His wife was still alive at that time (she died in 1865) but could have been awa frae hame I suppose.
Anyway, I will add it to my pile of possibles!
Thank you for your help  :D
Prue

Offline gordonmacgregor

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 December 16 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Interesting thread. My grandmother, Margaret Milne, was the daughter of George Milne, son of John Milne and Ann MacDonald. Ann died at Tynett, Enzie, on 19th June 1883, and was the daughter of Alexander MacDonald and Elspeth Robb.

In Ann MacDonald/Milne's death certificate, her father, Alexander's occupation is given as "Pensioner Retired Solider." He was discharged from service in Bombay in 1819, having enlisted first in 1795, in the 72nd Regiment (Seaforth) and then transferred to the 47th Regiment in 1798 with whom he served in the East and West Indies until his discharge on the grounds of being "worn out" due to his service. His discharge papers state that he was born in the parish of St. Andrews "in or near to the town of Inverness" and was then 21 years of age. He died prior to 1841, as his widow, Elspeth is listed in the census for that year at Moss of Longhill under her maiden name of Robb. She appears in the 1851 census as MacDonald and then in the 1861 one, again under Robb. She died at Longhill on 9th July 1865, aged 90 years. His death certificate gives her parents as John Robb, a farmer, and Margaret Kynoch.

Although Alexander MacDonald is said in some accounts to have been a younger son of Alexander Macdonald of Drimindaroch (The Red Doctor), I have not been able to corroborate that and consider it extremely doubtful.

A side note on the Milnes, my gran's father, George Milne, told his daughter of why he left the family home which was that on the death of his father, John, he overheard his brothers and sisters conspiring to take his share of the croft. He decided to leave and walked to Glasgow where he enlisted in the city Police although he last only a matter of weeks, on account of despising the city and the way of life there.

I hope this is of some use.

Gordon MacGregor
www.redbookofscotland.net