Author Topic: HEADs of West Berkshire  (Read 42918 times)

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HEADs of West Berkshire
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 02 October 10 08:07 BST (UK) »
Note that there were also HATT and HYDE families in the Leckhampstead/Peasemore area and there was some confusion between these names in the PRs, etc.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 October 10 00:47 BST (UK) »
Yes I have seen them too. Interestingly the name Hatt crops up in connection with my Heads somewhere. Head seems to have been spelt various ways including Head, Hede, Hed, Hedd, Hedde, Heed, and Heade.

Matt

Offline matgeorges

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 November 10 18:00 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching the Head family too. I have a tree back to Thomas Head who married Elizabeth Allington in the 1600's . They had a son, Thomas, who died in 1758 in Compton, Berkshire.
He married Rachel Gregory and then Ann ?. He was a druggist at the Sign of the Unicorn, Exeter Exchange, London. He had property Fryor Street, Reading and Red Lane Farm, Reading. Residence Roden House., Compton, which came down to the Pottingers through marriage. I have a copy of the Hundred of Compton. which states the Head's are and old Kentish family. If anyone has any of these people on their tree I would love to hear from them.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 November 10 04:15 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching the Head family too. I have a tree back to Thomas Head who married Elizabeth Allington in the 1600's . They had a son, Thomas, who died in 1758 in Compton, Berkshire.
He married Rachel Gregory and then Ann ?. He was a druggist at the Sign of the Unicorn, Exeter Exchange, London. He had property Fryor Street, Reading and Red Lane Farm, Reading. Residence Roden House., Compton, which came down to the Pottingers through marriage. I have a copy of the Hundred of Compton. which states the Head's are and old Kentish family. If anyone has any of these people on their tree I would love to hear from them.

I think I have some info on these but need to check. The names are familiar.

Matt

Offline malshep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 March 11 01:30 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the HEAD and PUCKERIDGE families in Berkshire to which I am directly related. Could anyone please help.

Offline matgeorges

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 March 11 19:36 GMT (UK) »
 :D
The Puckeridge family and the my Head family are related.

Offline malshep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 March 11 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the response. I am totally confused regarding the relationships with the Heads and Puckeridges,. Could you outline some details for me.

Offline matgeorges

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 20 March 11 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Malcolm
I have a lot of info on the Palmer/Pottinger line of Berkshire. The other names are Heyward and Head that married into the Pottinger line and that is where the wealth came into the Pottinger line.
I have the Head line to the 1600's in St Martin's in the field. Sarah Head married Richard Puckeridge 3 feb 1738 at Speen.

Offline malshep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 21 March 11 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I have the marriage between Sarah Head and Richard Puckeridge as 3 Feb 1748, was the 1738 date in you message a mistype. I have Sarah Head birth as 1733 is this correct. I would appreciate any help you can give me on the parents etc of Sarah.

Thanks

Malcolm