Author Topic: Edward PATTON c1848-1918  (Read 4644 times)

Offline stanseek

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
Edward PATTON c1848-1918
« on: Wednesday 17 January 07 11:13 GMT (UK) »
 EDWARD - born c1848 Father was THOMAS Patton. Aware of Dollingstown connection - family stayed there during 2nd wrld war. Trying to trace Grandfathers birthplace via his family. He had a brother JOHN who married a FRANCES COUSINS they had ABRAM (1867) & Annie. Abram married MARGARET HEANEY later emigrated to Australia (more info available) Annie married a GREGSON they FRANCES & LIZZIE -the latter married a TURKINGTON. EDWARD Patton later moved to Belfast, Ormeau Rd. area I understand ABRAM also moved to the same area before emigrating to Australia. The HEANEYS were also living in this area.

No trace of birth being Registered and 1901 Cen & 1911 Cen. shows place of birth as Co Down.

Any ideas of where to search not on IGI.
Patton, Co Down; Belfast<br />Mitchell, Co Antrim; Belfast<br />Logan, Co. Antrim.<br />Fyfe, Co. Cavan; Scotland.<br />Hewitt, Co. Cavan; Belfast

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Patton c1848-1918
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stan I looked at the ulster Covenant signed in 1912 and put in the names Heaney and Patton for the Ormeau district and came up with these 2

Patton Agnes F 33 Maymount Street  Belfast: East Ormeau
Heaney Elizabeth 40 Maymount Street  Belfast: East Ormeau

And also for Abraham patton

Patton Abraham Dollingstown  Down: West Moira

The only edward i could find was
Patton Edward Ballycushion  Antrim: East Templepatrick

colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi stanseek,

Welcome to Rootschat.

A few other places to look for Northern Irish ancestors are:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/
    http://www.raymondscountydownwebsite.com/
    http://www.pensear.org/main.php

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline Baba1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The 1884 Belfast Street Directory has the following information:

25 Powerscourt Street, Edward Patton (driver)

Powerscourt Street is off the Ormeau Road area.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Briege

Offline stanseek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 January 07 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your interest & help and please accept my apologies for delay in replying.
Will look into the Maymount Street connection.
Abraham Patton was a first cousin of my fathers who emigrated to Sydney. I'm in contact with his granddaughter in Sydney. Sent for his death cert - as you no doubt know NSW death certs are full of information - this is where I found the Heaney connection I knew he emigrated with Heaneys but didn't know the relationship.
I doubt if the Ballycushion Pattons are close family but have them noted.
Whilst Edward Patton was born in 1848 I don't think his birth was registered** - apparently quite a few births were not registered in the early years of registration. I'm trying to get his 1st marriage cert to see if this helps.
Thanks again for all your help.
Stanley.

** Note: civil registration of births in Ireland began 1864 so there will be no birth certificate for Edward Patton born 1848 (perhaps you are thinking of civil registration of non-Catholic marriages which began in 1845)
Patton, Co Down; Belfast<br />Mitchell, Co Antrim; Belfast<br />Logan, Co. Antrim.<br />Fyfe, Co. Cavan; Scotland.<br />Hewitt, Co. Cavan; Belfast

Offline stanseek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 January 07 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beth,

Thank you also for your help and welcome. It's nice to ------'it's good to talk' as they say.

Will have a 'root' around the sites you've given me.

Thanks again,

Stanley

Offline stanseek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 January 07 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Briege,

All the thanks to you too.

That's an interesting one. I believe Edward Patton was a driver but I have his address in 1884 as 172 Utility Street. This is as per birth cert. for Edward on 4th July. May have moved during the year.

PRONI is 60 odd miles from me & that is where I can view Street Directory to see if in 1884 there is an Edward Patton at 172 Utility St as well as Powerscourt St.

Can I access Street Directories on line?

Thanks again for your help.

Stanley.

Offline Baba1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 January 07 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stanley,
There are a few Street Directories online- if you put "Lennonwylie" into a Google search it will take you to Mary Lennon's site- she has the completed the 1843,1861 and 1880 street directories. I checked the 1880 one for you:
7 Utility Street Patton, Thomas (car owner)
Perhaps the answer to the 1884 question is that the information was gathered the previous year (the same way our Electoral Register is gathered in say Autumn 2006 but not actually published until Spring 2007) Just a thought!
Regards,
Briege

Offline stanseek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
Re: Edward PATTON c1848-1918
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 January 07 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Briege,

What have you done??????  Edward Patton at 172 Utility Street & Thomas Patton at no 7 ----  Edward's father was called THOMAS - as per Edward's marriage cert.  Possibly????

Stanley