Author Topic: James Kerr And Sarah Sproule From Meaby, NewtownStewart  (Read 26267 times)

Offline jcarrgensearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Kerr And Sarah Sproule From Meaby, NewtownStewart
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 July 11 01:27 BST (UK) »
I am also using single tandem repeats within the Y chromosome to identify men who may connect to my Kerr lineage.   So I would be very willing to pay for a DNA test of any living man who can show he descends from the Kerrs of Newtwonstewart.  Please contact me directly for discussion on a DNA test.   Thank you.
Family Lineage Surnames: Carr, Conn, Watson, Ewing, White

I am also the administrator of the Carr Family DNA Genealogy Project.  The purpose of the project is to provide a forum where various Carr families (all phonetic variations) around the world can  connect to cousins who they do not know and learn more about their family history.   DNA passes through biological descent and can be used to identify people who are close cousins from people with whom you have no recent shared lineage.

Offline harrykee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 06 February 14 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I have only just found this forum. My family are Kerrs from Meaghey. I have the trustees statement of the funds distributed in the will of my mother's Uncle Thomas who died on 5 July 1968. He was a bachelor and so he left some money  to many Kerr nephews and grand-nephews/nieces. He left some money for the upkeep of the family grave in Sandymount Cemetery, Shettleston Glasgow, mentioned on this forum.
My Grandfather was Samuel Kerr who operated a grocers shop in Newtownstewart owned by his brother (William?). Somewhere I have a copy of his will also.
I would be happy to fill in the few details I know of recent times, but I don't know much about older generations. I would love to hear what you guys know.

Offline harrykee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 06 February 14 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Re your DNA offer. I would be glad to participate if you wish. My mother was Jean Kerr of Newtownstewart, her father was Samuel and they were closely related to a Mr Thomas (Tom) Kerr of Meaghey who I used to visit as a boy 50 years ago.

I have 2 male cousins, both descended through the male line via their father Norman Kerr. One lives near Manchester New Hampshire and the other near Niagara (Jordan?) if that would help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 06 February 14 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Would the DNA test mentioned earlier need to be from a descendant through the male line rather than just a male descendant? in otherwords the son of a son of a son... rather than a man whose mother was a descandant?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline harrykee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 February 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
I see someone was having trouble finding Meaghy, a few years ago. If my memory is correct, and we are talking 50 years ago when I was only a boy of 10, The Kerr house may be found on the junction of Meaghy Road and Spring Road. To find it google Meaghy Road, Castlederg, Co Tyrone and follow the map along. Street view will show that there are only a couple of houses on that road.

Offline jcarrgensearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 February 14 22:15 GMT (UK) »
YDNA passes from father to son exclusively, so yes, the DNA would have to come from a direct line male descendant of the referenced James Kerr, or a be a direct male descendant from Jmaes' paternal line ancestors, to be useful in identifying a likely lineage connection.  James Kerr and Mary Sproule were born about the time of my grandfather Robert, son of John James Carr (Kerr), so the connection would need to be with an earlier generation of the Kerr paternal line.  My great grandfather would have been 34 when the James Kerr being discussed here was born, so it is possible that the connection is even two generations prior James.  If anyone knows the pedigree of James back a few generations, and possibly the expanded male line, I would be grateful for that information.

There are many DNA tests available at relatively low cost these days that can identify potential relationships at the cousin level as well as maternal and paternal line ancestry, and even ancient genetic line affiliation.  Personally I find these DNA haplotypes are as important a genealogical tool as any other that I have at my disposal.  The cousin and maternal line tests have been very useful. I am still waiting for a connection on the paternal line DNA, which has a few characteristics that are on the uncommon side, which makes finding connections rare, but more likely to share the same paternal line when found. 

If anyone knows of a living male whose direct paternal lineage extends from the James Kerr being discussed here, or from the paternal line of his father, grandfather, etc., I would very much appreciate being put in touch with them so I can ask them to take a YSTR DNA test, at my expense if proof of a potential link to a shared paternal line exists.  This test identifies nothing beyond potential relatedness, so there are no worries about revealing anything personal about the DNA donor.  I encourage all of you to take at least a cousin test, you have a good chance of linking to someone who can expand your family history knowledge in some way.  Plus, we can see if we do likely share some recent ancestors.
Family Lineage Surnames: Carr, Conn, Watson, Ewing, White

I am also the administrator of the Carr Family DNA Genealogy Project.  The purpose of the project is to provide a forum where various Carr families (all phonetic variations) around the world can  connect to cousins who they do not know and learn more about their family history.   DNA passes through biological descent and can be used to identify people who are close cousins from people with whom you have no recent shared lineage.

Offline shaboh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 12:18 GMT (UK) »
I am a direct lineage connection link to James Kerr.
Kerr - County Tyrone In Ireland
Colvin - Shettleston, Glasgow In Scotland
Sproule - County Tyrone In Ireland but died in 
                Scotland after 1910

Offline carkies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 January 15 01:12 GMT (UK) »
don't know if this is helpful but i am descended from the marriage of James Kerr and Lydia Ashfield.  I believe they resided in Castlecaufield, County Tyrone.  One of their children, Thomasena Kathleen Kerr emigrated to Canada.  I think they all did, but I can say for certain that she did.  She married George Walter Deyell and they resided in Toronto.  One of the Kerr sons had a daughter Florence who married and emigrated to Australia, which is where you are i think?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 17 January 15 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   You may already have this but James Kerr married Lydia C. Ashfield on 18 Dec 1883 in Aughnacloy Church of Ireland, Clogher District Co. Tyrone

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim