Author Topic: James Kerr And Sarah Sproule From Meaby, NewtownStewart  (Read 26427 times)

Offline carkies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Kerr And Sarah Sproule From Meaby, NewtownStewart
« Reply #27 on: Monday 19 January 15 03:01 GMT (UK) »
thanks very much

Offline Kerrbuild

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi   I just stumbled onto this post. Looks like my cousin Harry Key replied to you. My Father was Norman Kerr from Newtownstewart His Father was Samuel Kerr and Great Grandfather John Kerr from Meaghy I believe. I did have my Dna done by Ancestry. Did you have any luck?

Offline shaboh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 08 July 19 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi guys. It's been a while. I have found so much. I travelled to Tyrone in Northern Ireland in October 2018. If you have any questions contact me on (*)
Regarding the chapels I had spoke about where James Kerr & Sarah Sproule married...There is an out of print book 'A History of The Parish Of Ardstraw West And Castlederg' by the late Rev. Philip Donnelly which contains information about the Parish. This is what I can ascertain. The Catholic parish of Ardstraw West and Castlederg was created from parts of the ancient parishes of Urney and Melmount. There were three chapels: St. Patrick's in Castlederg (replaced in 1978 with St. Eugene's but St. Eugene remained in use as a church until it too became in need of serious repairs, and so it was decided to refurbish the old Saint Patrick’s Church again & on 11th May 1997, it was rededicated), St. Mary's in Carncorn (Carncorran is a variant spelling), and St. Mary's in Envagh. St. Mary's in Carncorn was replaced by St Francis of Assisi in Drumnabey and was dedicated on 19th December 1982 by the Bishop of Derry, Most Rev Edward Daly DD. It was built to replace the old church of St Mary’s, Carncorn, which had passed beyond reasonable repair. The church can hold 430 persons and is the only church in the diocese to be dedicated to Saint Francis, in memory of the old monastery of Franciscans at Scarvaghern, which was dispersed in 1603. A contact I had on a Castlederg Facebook site said she no idea why both St. Mary's in Carncorn & St. Mary's in Envagh were named St.Mary's...”We always referred to them as Carncorn Chapel and Dregish Chapel” she said.

I will add more

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Kerr - County Tyrone In Ireland
Colvin - Shettleston, Glasgow In Scotland
Sproule - County Tyrone In Ireland but died in 
                Scotland after 1910

Offline shaboh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 08 July 19 23:48 BST (UK) »
Joseph Sproule (Approx 1826- 23/04/1905) & Isabella Brown (Aprox 1926-30/05/1915)
Married on 4th November 1846 at Ardstraw, County Tyrone, Ireland. They were married at the First Castlederg Presbyterian Church in Garvetagh. They had 14 kids. My great grandmother Sarah was number 2 born on 24th August 1848. First Castlederg Presbyterian Church has kept good records on the Sproules. Here is a video of my 2018 trip to Castlederg in County Tyrone in Northern Ireland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUyZ3CaZuDQ&t=11s
Kerr - County Tyrone In Ireland
Colvin - Shettleston, Glasgow In Scotland
Sproule - County Tyrone In Ireland but died in 
                Scotland after 1910

Offline Dori99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how old this is.  I've been working on the tree of a friend.  I've been looking at the Kerr family in Meaghy in the 19th century and have worked a few things out.  There are two Kerr families there in the 1901 and 1911 census returns. On is Jane Kerr (nee Maxwell) who was married to James Kerr who died in 1890.  James, born about 1838 was the son of Thomas and Ann Kerr. A Samuel kerr, described by Jane as her brother in law is also present in the family home.  This Samuel was a retired policeman and did not marry.  I believe the other family is the one you are talking about.  A Samuel Kerr born about 1806 married first Margaret Jamieson and then Elizabeth Irwin (married 1849).  Samuel and Margaret had a son John born about 1837 who went to Scotland and then to Philadelphia, where he married Elizabeth Mahood who was born in Cavan.  John and Elizabeth and their children (Mary, John James, William, Thomas and Samuel) are likely to be the family being discussed in this strand.

Offline Dori99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 15:57 GMT (UK) »
PS...   I should have made clear, after their wedding in Philadelphia in 1873, John and Elizabeth returned from to Glasgow and are in Glasgow for the 1881 and 1891 census returns, where John is a dealer of watches, gold and silver etc with a business at 47-51 London Road.  They then returned to Meaghy and were there for the 1901 and 1911 censuses.