Author Topic: Albert Edward OLSEN and descendants from HULL  (Read 12384 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Edward OLSEN and descendants from HULL
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 March 15 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Ian

A question: I am trying to work out why (if it is him) in 1911 he was born 1880 and in the book he was born 1875. I have to ask if you know that the sailor's book is your Albert's book?

Looking in Sweden in the books I cannot find a Carl or Karl Olsen or Olsson or an Albert anywhere. I must first know his date of birth.

Ian

Offline North Country Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 March 15 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,

Yes, the book did belong to Albert as the copy was passed to me by one of his grandsons (my dads cousin).

Also, that is the correct 1911 census return for Albert, yeton birth, marriage and death certs the family name is spelt as Olsen, as it is on electoral rolls for Albert (how he managed to be able to vote if he was not a Naturalized subject is another mystery)

With regards to his year of birth, it is all very confusing. The Merchant Seaman book gives his dob as 1875 but his first marriage certificate of March 1907 gives his age as 28 (b.1879). His second marriage certificate of March 1931 gives his age as 55 (b.1876) and his death certificate of March 1933 gives his age as 56 (b.1877).

I remember reading somewhere on the internet that some records for Sundvall were destroyed in a fire, could Alberts birth record be one of them.

Many Thanks,

Ian
Researching:<br /><br />Olsen - Sweden/South Wales/Hull<br />Coates - East Yorkshire/Hull<br />Latus - Hull/Kings Lynn/Kent/Hampshire/Middlesborough<br />
Bradley-Nottinghamshire/Oldcoates
Dearing - Hull/East Yorkshire/Halifax<br />Murphy - Dublin/Hull
England - Pontefract
Cave - Pontefeact/Doncaster
Walker - Devon/Hull

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 March 15 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

Thanks for that.
I have access to Sundsvall's records and they all seem to be whole. I have checked all births from 1871-1881 in Sundsvall with no success (even some outside parishes). I will have another go later.

Are you sure he was Swedish? I mean I have come across many sailors lying about their nationality. Olsen is very Norwegian. Also many sailors state their Seaman's Institute as their place of birth. But of course everything could be correct which at the moment is proving difficult to find any records in Sweden.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 March 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I found a tree on Ancestry and noticed the name Clay and Turi.

Where does the name Clay come from?

and do you know where the name Turi comes from. It is more often a male name in Norway. I searched the name Turi in the Swedish databases between 1860-1890 and did not get one hit as a male name. Not even as female name.

Ian

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 March 15 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

Can you give me the names of the children with dates of birth.

I would also like to know if this family is your Albert from the 1911 census:

Albert Olson    31 Engine Driver born Sundsvall, Sweden
Elizabeth Olson    25 born Hull
Carl Olson    3
William Olson    2

8, Scarborough Terrace, Kent Street, Holderness Road, Hull.

Thanks
Ian

No response ???

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 March 15 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this is significant:

1881 Census:

53, Witty Street, Hessle Road, Hull

Oleson: Charles Peter...Head, Marr. age 34...b. 1847...Occ. NERY Engine Driver...b. Sweden
Oleson: Jessie Elizabeth...Wife...Marr. age 23 b. 1858... Dover...Kent
Oleson: Charles Ward...Son age 4... b. 1877... Hull
Oleson: Pauline...Daughter age 1... b. 1880... Hull
Charlton: Charles Henry...Boarder age 54 b. 1827...Gentleman B. Hull, Yorkshire.

Carol

Did I waste my time  ???

Carol...From Hull
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 March 15 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I took a wee look for this Charles Peter Olsson. He married Jessie Elizabeth Ward.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2DPL-DHX

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 06 March 15 21:09 GMT (UK) »

I remember reading somewhere on the internet that some records for Sundvall were destroyed in a fire, could Alberts birth record be one of them.

I maybe wrong here but there seems to have been a lot of books destroyed in the fire. The books I have access to are from the parish Gustaf Adolf in Sundsvall. There must have been other parishes in Sundsvall. A pity really if that is the case. I will look around to see if there is something to find.

Ian

Offline North Country Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 March 15 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for not replying to all messages. I didn't have email notification set up to let me know when a reply was posted to the thread but I do now.

Carol - I've come across the Oleson family from Whitty Street in the past but I can't find a link to my Olsens. Yes, the 1911 census you posted is my g-grandfather.

Ian - yes, I do have a tree on Ancestry (northcountryboy73) so the info that is in Ancestry originates from me. Clay and Turi do appear in my tree, I will expand on these names below and Mary's maiden name was Coates.

Albert may have been born in the Sundsvall region rather than the town but put Sundsvall as his place of birth for simplicity as it was the nearest town to where he was born - just a thought

Alberts children are as follows,

Gladys Olsen Clay b.27/11/1905. d.1987 Gladys was the result of a relationship Albert had with a Margeuritta Clay prior to marrying Mary
Albert Carl Olsen b. 09/09/1907 d.1985
William Turi Olsen b. 16/02/1909 d.1991
George Edward Olsen b. 14/06/1911 d.1982 (my grandfather)
Alan Olsen b. 04/11/1913 d. 30/06/1940 Dunkirk
Stanley Olsen b. 17/03/1915 d.1987
Norah Olsen b. 31/08/1918 d. 1987 emigrated to the US in the late 1940s
Walter Olsen b. b.29/07/1920 d. 1920
Kathleen Olsen b. 31/12/1923 d. 1924

Sundsvall has suffered three extensive fires; in 1721, 1803, and 1888. The last two caused serious damage to the parish records. Among other losses were the ministerial lists from before 1870, so that information on infant and child mortality, fertility, migration, etc. is unreliable for the period before that date. Some of the municipal archives were also destroyed by the last fire 1888.

Ian
Researching:<br /><br />Olsen - Sweden/South Wales/Hull<br />Coates - East Yorkshire/Hull<br />Latus - Hull/Kings Lynn/Kent/Hampshire/Middlesborough<br />
Bradley-Nottinghamshire/Oldcoates
Dearing - Hull/East Yorkshire/Halifax<br />Murphy - Dublin/Hull
England - Pontefract
Cave - Pontefeact/Doncaster
Walker - Devon/Hull