Author Topic: Hawick and the Great War 1914-1919  (Read 93185 times)

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hawick and the Great War 1914-1919
« Reply #135 on: Sunday 07 November 10 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne
I have sent you email containing pics of the Stewart brothers. Please let me know if you get them.
bougie
Bouglas, Hogg, Crozier,Selkirkshire.; Duff,Berwickshire. Hogarth,Berwickshire.; Short,Blythe,Moore and Sproat, Ettrick;  Offord,Gould,Essex; Mcvittie,Langholm.;Armstrong,Chambers, Cononbie.
Moore,Ewes Dumfriesshire;

Offline weebockle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I'm totally new to all this so it may be a bit of a long shot as I dont have much to go on, but I was wondering if my great grandfather, Mark Watt, was in your book?
As far as I am aware he died in 1923, and although I'm not sure of what exactly I know he never really recovered from the effects of the mustard gas.  I know he was a musician but I don't know what regiment he served in or any further information.
Any help would be great!
Many thanks,
Rachel

Offline weebockle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 22:17 GMT (UK) »
If I'd read all of the previous posts I might have realised Anne had already asked about the Watts!!
Anne, fancy finding you here!;) I'm trying to do a family tree for my dad (rennie) and was going to give him as much as I could find for his Christmas. Could you pm me your email so we can swap what bits of info be have?
Thanks!! Rachel x

Offline weebockle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Sorry to hijack this thread but were there any Thomsons in the book?
Thanks!!

Offline ajk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Thursday 11 November 10 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Just found this site and would be grateful if you could tell me if there is reference to a James Domone Kennedy in your book about Hawick and the Great War. Possibly in the KOSB?

Thanks

Offline Pam Quick

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Sunday 02 January 11 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about the delay in replying I haven't been able to reply,
 Reply #118 on: Thursday 08 July 10 20:12 UTC (UK) »   

~~~~~~~~
To Pam
There is a W.K.Innes in book. PM your email address and i will send copy
Sheena 

I have only posted once so can't pm you.  If there is a picture of JB Innes in there I would be also grateful, having found that my Grandfather WK at the age of 21 cut off his cousin's arm JB Innes at Gallipoli (he died Cheering on his comrades) and then returned his skean dhu to James father who lived at Lindisfarne.  There is also a monument (empty lair ) to James at Wellogate Cemetary.

There is another website with this information if others are interested
where you  can get a read of the war record of the 4th KOSB battalion
War Record of 4th Battalion King's Own Scottish Borderers (January 1, 1920)
http://www.archive.org/stream/warrecord00browuoft/warrecord00browuoft_djvu.txt which is difficult to read but next to it on the left you can read it in a different format and see the picture of the battalion

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Thursday 20 January 11 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bougie
Can you look up your book to see if there is any mention of a Charles Brown who was born in Hawick on the 20 March 1890. His older brother joined the Army and I suspect Charles may have followed his example
Colin
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline anitah1972

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Sunday 27 March 11 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there! I'm working on assembling my mother's ancestry; her mother was born in Hawick, a Helen Bain Gray, daughter of Helen McGregor Seth Bain and John Gray. 

John Gray, and his siblings appear to all have been born in Galashies, but when the children started emigrating, their parents, Archibald and Jane Wilson GRAY, were living at 19 Trinity St in Hawick.  Their childrens' emigration papers reference it repeatedly, and the family story has always been that "we're from Hawick."  (At least one sibling, Margaret Jane Alison ("Meg") Gray, remained in Hawick and made the Border TV news in the late 1980s talking about the working conditions in the factories.)

One of the first to leave was Thomas GRAY, b.1879 in Galashiels; he arrived in Alberta, Canada circa 1906 and is listed in the 1911 Canadian Census in Red Deer, Alberta... but I could never find more information from the 1920s, when his siblings listed him as their Point of Contact when they also left for Canada via the Overseas Settlement Committee. 

It finally occurred to me to search military records, and so I have found Thomas GRAY's enlistment attestation paper, filed in Stettler (Alberta), his assignment to the 31st Battalion of the Canadian Infantry, and then subsequently his death near Lens, France on 10 July 1917.  A number of different memorial websites list his burial and have images of the headstone and cemetary near Pas de Calais.

This raises, for me, the question of communications at the time: whether news of his death had traveled to Hawick... and whether the family knew he was not in Alberta when they headed for Canada themselves in 1920 - 1923.  (At least one of his brothers had visited him there prior to the war, then returned to Scotland.)

Long story short (!), I'm wondering if he's in the book.   I've also had no luck tracking down his other male siblings post-war and wondering if they may have been involved:
George GRAY (b. 1875 Galashiels) (m. Agnes (?))
Walter Scott GRAY (b. 1877 Galashiels) (m. Helen Ann (?))
James GRAY (b. 1883 Galashiels) (in Niagara Falls, NY 1914, per sibling's travel papers)
Archibald GRAY (b. 1886 Galashiels)

Any information your book contains about these men would be greatly appreciated.  It's very kind of you.
Thanks...
Anita
LEWNES/LIOUNIS from Greece, settled in Brooklyn, Kings, NYC, USA
ZBORAZ/SBORAI/SPORAY from Austria/Hungary/Czechoslovakia, settled in Pennsylvania, USA
GRAY from Galasheils/Hawick, Scotland
BAIN, SETH, GARDNER, DOUGLAS from Falkirk/Bo'ness/Linlithgow/Dumbarton, Scotland
MCGREGOR/MCGRIGOR/JARVIS from Scotland

Offline mrsteedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Thursday 09 June 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am not sure if you are still doing look ups from your book, but would be very grateful if you would see if my great grandfather John Neil or John O'Neill is mentioned anywhere, he was born in Hawick, about 1876, joined the KOSB and later died in 1917 in WWW 1 in France.
Thankyou
Trudi