Author Topic: Hawick and the Great War 1914-1919  (Read 93245 times)

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hawick and the Great War 1914-1919
« Reply #45 on: Monday 03 September 07 19:06 BST (UK) »
  Hi iain
 No it's not Dereks book. this one was written in 1920 and is mostly a pictorial
 record of Hawick men who fought in WW1.
 It is not available in the shops and i don't think there are many copies of it left.
 Our local museum has one.
 It was published by Vair and Mcnairn at the local Hawick news office in 1920.
 I am led to believe that it was put together by local men , wanting some sort of rememberance for all the brave men of Hawick who fought in the war.
 bougie
Bouglas, Hogg, Crozier,Selkirkshire.; Duff,Berwickshire. Hogarth,Berwickshire.; Short,Blythe,Moore and Sproat, Ettrick;  Offord,Gould,Essex; Mcvittie,Langholm.;Armstrong,Chambers, Cononbie.
Moore,Ewes Dumfriesshire;

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 03 September 07 19:19 BST (UK) »
 Hi again Iain
I've just had a look at your brilliant Kennedy site. There are six Kennedys
 in this book if you are interested.
 bougie
Bouglas, Hogg, Crozier,Selkirkshire.; Duff,Berwickshire. Hogarth,Berwickshire.; Short,Blythe,Moore and Sproat, Ettrick;  Offord,Gould,Essex; Mcvittie,Langholm.;Armstrong,Chambers, Cononbie.

Offline iainkennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 03 September 07 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Bougie,

I am going to the National Library tomorrow so I'd been hoping I could find it in their catalogue. Its a shame if a copy wasn't deposited there. I've been through all 351 books with the word Hawick in the title and haven't seen it.

If its not too much trouble I'd be interested to see the refs. There were quite a few Kennedys in Hawick including a family of booksellers whose tree I have done quite a bit of research into.

Iain Kennedy

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 03 September 07 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Iain
 Here are your Kennedys
 PRIVATE AITCHISON W. KENNEDY 1ST ROYAL HIGHLANDERS[BLACK WATCH]
 WHO DIED FROM WOUNDS ON THE 16TH SEPTEMBER 1914. PRIVATE KENNEDY WAS A SON OF EX BAILLIE KENNEDY, AND RESIDED AT 3 SLITRIG CRESCENT.

CAPT. AND ADJT. JAS KENNEDY OF THE BLACK WATCH WHO HAS HAD A DISTINGUISHED MILITARY CAREER. HE WAS RAISED FROM THE RANKS IN DECEMBER 1914, AND WAS ALSO AWARDED THE DISTINGUISHED CONDUCT MEDAL " FOR CONSPICUOUS GALLANTRY AND DASH ON 23RD AND 24TH NOVEMBER, 1914, IN VOLUNTARILY ASSISTING IN THE LEADING OF PARTIES OF THE 58TH VAUGHANS RIFLES, WHICH RESULTED IN RECAPTURE OF THE ENEMIES TRENCHES". ON SEPT 17TH 1015, CAPT KENNEDY WAS RECIEVED BY THE KING AT BUCKINGHAM PALACE AND DECORATED WITH THE MILITARY CROSS. CAPT KENNEDY IS A NATIVE OF HAWICK, AND A SON OF EX BAILLIE
 JAMES A KENNEDY. 1 WEENSLAND ROAD HAWICK. [ There is also another big write up which i will send if you need it]

PRIVATE R. PRINGLE KENNEDY OF THE 20TH CANADIANS, WHO WAS WOUNDED IN THE NECK. HE IS GRANDSON OF MRS PRINGLE, 4 DOVECOTE STREET, AND BEFORE THE WAR, WAS WORKING IN CANADA.

PTE JOHN KENNEDY OF THE K.O.S.B. [ MACHINE GUN SECTION] OFFICIALLY REPORTED TO HAVE BEEN KILLED IN ACTION, IS A SON OF MR ALEX KENNEDY, AND GRANDSON OF MR JAMES KENNEDY, 22 LOTHIAN STREET, HAWICK. HE HAD BEEN UNDER ARMS SINCE AUGUST 1914, WAS WOUNDED AT THE DARDANELLES
 ON THE 12TH JULY 1915, AND IN CIVIL LIFE WAS A HOSIERY WORKER WITH MESSRS A. P. INNES AND CO, HOSIERY MANUFACTURERS. THE DECEASED WAS 24 YEARS OF AGE.

PRIVATE ANDREW KENNEDY ,ROYAL SCOTS , WHO RECIEVED A GUNSHOT WOUND IN THE RIGHT SIDE ON MAY 8TH 1916. HE IS ASON OF MRS KENNEDY, 25 HIGH STREET, AND WAS IN THE ARMY PRIOR TO THE WAR. PRIVATE KENNEDY HAD BEEN IN THE FIGHTING LINE FOR 20 MONTHS BEFORE BEING WOUNDED. HE WAS AT ONE TIME EMPLOYED IN MESSRS JOHN FORBES NURSERIES. HIS BROTHER STEPHEN, IS IN THE ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY.

PRIVATE ANDREW KENNEDY ,ROYAL SCOTS, WHO WAS POSTED AS MISSING ON 28TH MARCH 1918, AND WHOSE MOTHER, MRS KENNEDY, 25 HIGH STREET, RECIEVED A LETTER FROM HIM SAYING THAT LUCKILY HE MANAGED TO ESCAPE THROUGH THE GERMAN LINES, AND HE ADDED;-" I AM NOT SORRY BEING BACK IN MY OWN LINES ONCE MORE. I HAVE HAD SOME EXCITING EXPERIENCES"
PRIOR TO ENLISTING, PRIVATE KENNEDY WAS IN THE EMPLOYMENT OF MESSRS FORBES, BUCCLEUCH NURSERIES. HE IS 21YEARS OF AGE. MRS KENNEDY HAD TWO OTHER SONS IN THE ARMY.

The book title is Hawick And The Great War 1914-1919. I found my one among
my grandfathers old stuff. I think it belonged to his father.
  bougie

Offline iainkennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 14:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much. I had some data already on the first group, their father James died in 1918 and the son James you mention was then living at 7 Slitrig Crescent and was a Lt-Col in the 13th Welsh Regiment. Aitchison had managed to get married in Aug 1913 so I guess its unlikely they had time to raise a child before he went off.

I have the Pringle group too, Mary Pringle's husband James Kennedy died very young in 1897 from TB.  His father James is buried in Wellogate and I have a picture of the gravestone, he died in 1929 (32 years after the son).

John I only have from the cwgc data, haven't linked him up in Hawick yet.

Andrew I can't match up with cwgc so not clear who he is.

If you do have a spare moment to transmit the other blurb about James, I'd be grateful. I don't want to take up too much of your time though.

I had a peek at the Derek Robertson book last night in Edinburgh, I think it is partly based on your book although the reference to it is a bit vague.

Iain Kennedy

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
 Hi Iain
 Here's the rest of it under the heading "A DISTINGUISHED HAWICK SOLDIER"
PREVIOUS PAGES OF "HAWICK AND THE WAR" CONTAIN REFERENCES TO
HONOURABLE DISTINCTIONS CONFERRED ON CAPT AND ADJUTANT KENNEDY, D.C.M. SINCE THESE ANNOUNCEMENTS WERE PRINTED, HIS MANY FRIENDS IN HAWICK LEARNED WITH PLEASURE OF HIS PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF LIEUT- COLONEL.
HE ENLISTED IN THE BLACK WATCH, FEBUARY, 1900; WAS SENT TO SOUTH AFRICA, 1901; SAW SERVICE THERE UNTIL THE FOLLOWING YEAR[ MEDAL];
PROCEEDED FROM THERE TO INDIA WITH HIS REGIMENT; ATTAINED THE RANK OF COMPANY SERGEANT-MAJOR;FORMED ONE OF THE 100 KINGS GUARD AT THE GREAT DURBAR AT DELHI[MEDAL]. WHEN WAR BROKE OUT HE CAME TO FRANCE
 WITH THE INDIAN EXPEDITIONARY FORCE; WAS AWARDED THE D.C.M. NOVEMBER, 1914; APPOINTED CAPTAIN AND ADJUTANT, BLACK WATCH, FEBUARY, 1915; DECORATED WITH THE MILITARY CROSS BY THE KING AT BUCKINGHAM PALACE, 1915; APPOINTED TO THE COMMAND OF A WELSH REGIMENT, WITH A RANK OF LIEUTENANT COLONEL, JULY 1916. HE HOLDS A FIRST CLASS ARMY CERTIFICATE OF EDUCATION, DISTINGUISHED CERTIFICATE FOR MUSKETRY, AND PASSED WITH DISTINCTION THE EXAMINATION FOR THE SUPPLY AND TRANSPORT CORPS, INDIA. HE IS THE SON OF MR JAMES A KENNEDY, 1 WEENSLAND ROAD.
   Hope this is of interest to you .
 bougie
ps Iwonder if you could help me to find one of your Kennedys for a friend of mine who lives in Australia. I will post info in your messages. Would be great if you could help.

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 21:49 BST (UK) »
 Hi Iain
 Here's the rest of it under the heading "A DISTINGUISHED HAWICK SOLDIER"
PREVIOUS PAGES OF "HAWICK AND THE WAR" CONTAIN REFERENCES TO
HONOURABLE DISTINCTIONS CONFERRED ON CAPT AND ADJUTANT KENNEDY, D.C.M. SINCE THESE ANNOUNCEMENTS WERE PRINTED, HIS MANY FRIENDS IN HAWICK LEARNED WITH PLEASURE OF HIS PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF LIEUT- COLONEL.
HE ENLISTED IN THE BLACK WATCH, FEBUARY, 1900; WAS SENT TO SOUTH AFRICA, 1901; SAW SERVICE THERE UNTIL THE FOLLOWING YEAR[ MEDAL];
PROCEEDED FROM THERE TO INDIA WITH HIS REGIMENT; ATTAINED THE RANK OF COMPANY SERGEANT-MAJOR;FORMED ONE OF THE 100 KINGS GUARD AT THE GREAT DURBAR AT DELHI[MEDAL]. WHEN WAR BROKE OUT HE CAME TO FRANCE
 WITH THE INDIAN EXPEDITIONARY FORCE; WAS AWARDED THE D.C.M. NOVEMBER, 1914; APPOINTED CAPTAIN AND ADJUTANT, BLACK WATCH, FEBUARY, 1915; DECORATED WITH THE MILITARY CROSS BY THE KING AT BUCKINGHAM PALACE, 1915; APPOINTED TO THE COMMAND OF A WELSH REGIMENT, WITH A RANK OF LIEUTENANT COLONEL, JULY 1916. HE HOLDS A FIRST CLASS ARMY CERTIFICATE OF EDUCATION, DISTINGUISHED CERTIFICATE FOR MUSKETRY, AND PASSED WITH DISTINCTION THE EXAMINATION FOR THE SUPPLY AND TRANSPORT CORPS, INDIA. HE IS THE SON OF MR JAMES A KENNEDY, 1 WEENSLAND ROAD.
   Hope this is of interest to you .
 bougie
ps Iwonder if you could help me to find one of your Kennedys for a friend of mine who lives in Australia. I will post info in your messages. Would be great if you could help.

Offline BeeMack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 06 September 07 00:41 BST (UK) »
Bougie

Once again,  Thank you so much for my lookup.    I am wondering if it is possible for you to send me a copy of the pictures in your book of my "Grahams".  It would be much appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iain,
The last Graham that Bougie looked up for me is the son of James Kennedy Graham.  I just thought you would like to know as you are researching the "Kennedy" Family.

BeeMack

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 10 September 07 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi BeeMack
 I am not able to send photo's at moment but hope to be able to shortly as i
 am getting my own scanner, then i will catch up with the backlog of people waiting for pictures. I have put your name down on my list but you will have to send your e-mail address to my messages. Hope it wont be too long but i will also have to learn how to do it.[ Not very bright in that department]
 bougie