Author Topic: Hawick and the Great War 1914-1919  (Read 92842 times)

Offline turnyebull

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hawick and the Great War 1914-1919
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Bougie, I would really appreciate it if you could look up my father, Thomas Walter Ballantyne Turnbull, born in the Parish of Minto (probably Knowetownhead Farm near Denholm) in 1998.
I think he was in the Royal Horse Artillery (or Royal Artillery) and probably served in the Bulgarian campaign.

Offline Barrie Latham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 21:13 BST (UK) »
If you have any informatipn on my great uncles who fought in the great war then I would be very grateful.

Two brothers who died were Sam and William Latham. Two pther nrothers who served were George and Kohn Latham

Regards

Barrie Latham

Offline 215 Squadron 1918

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Monday 11 November 19 21:26 GMT (UK) »
A slightly different request for the residents/past residents of Hawick.  John Shannon Ferguson was born in Hawick 1894.  He was the Gunlayer on an HP O/400 night bomber on the evening of September 20, 1918 piloted by my great uncle 2/Lt ACG Fowler and they both died, along with Observer Clement Clough Eaves from Derby/Westhoughton/Bolton/Stockport.  They are all commemorated on the Arras Flying Services Memorial to the Missing.  I have researched information and got corroborating evidence that they were buried in the Garrison Cemetery in Metz--now renamed Chambière French National Cemetery, Metz.  (And have visited there twice) I am petitioning the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to erect three headstones there in their honour.  I am trying to track down relatives of John Shannon Ferguson as they might be interested in the event--though nowhere near a certainty that my petition will be successful.  I have written a book about their last mission--to bomb Frescaty Aerodrome near Metz--then in Germany--now in France.  There is a free eBook at Books2Read/Night Bomber Pilot  I have given all the print books away (1500 to museums and other interested folk) as a commemoration to their short lives.
Hawick information
John's siblings: William born 1879, Hugh b. 1881, Maggie b. 1883, Thomas b. 1885, Annie b. 1889, Andrew b. 1893, John born 1894/5, Jane b. 1897
John's parents:  Thomas Ferguson born 1858 and Annie Ferguson born 1861 Living at 20, Gladstone St. Hawick, Roxburghshire
John's grandparents: William born 1823 and Margaret (Thomson) born 1823 Ferguson living at 3Rd Back House, Hawick, Roxburghshire
John's parents left Hawick and moved to Pittsfield, Massachusetts, USA--John's next of kin information reflects this.
Of course, I would love extra information about 2/Lt John Shannon Ferguson
Please share this with your Hawick friends and neighbours.

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 03:13 GMT (UK) »
A slightly different request for the residents/past residents of Hawick.  John Shannon Ferguson was born in Hawick 1894.  He was the Gunlayer on an HP O/400 night bomber on the evening of September 20, 1918 piloted by my great uncle 2/Lt ACG Fowler and they both died, along with Observer Clement Clough Eaves from Derby/Westhoughton/Bolton/Stockport.  They are all commemorated on the Arras Flying Services Memorial to the Missing.  I have researched information and got corroborating evidence that they were buried in the Garrison Cemetery in Metz--now renamed Chambière French National Cemetery, Metz.  (And have visited there twice) I am petitioning the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to erect three headstones there in their honour.  I am trying to track down relatives of John Shannon Ferguson as they might be interested in the event--though nowhere near a certainty that my petition will be successful.  I have written a book about their last mission--to bomb Frescaty Aerodrome near Metz--then in Germany--now in France.  There is a free eBook at Books2Read/Night Bomber Pilot  I have given all the print books away (1500 to museums and other interested folk) as a commemoration to their short lives.
Hawick information
John's siblings: William born 1879, Hugh b. 1881, Maggie b. 1883, Thomas b. 1885, Annie b. 1889, Andrew b. 1893, John born 1894/5, Jane b. 1897
John's parents:  Thomas Ferguson born 1858 and Annie Ferguson born 1861 Living at 20, Gladstone St. Hawick, Roxburghshire
John's grandparents: William born 1823 and Margaret (Thomson) born 1823 Ferguson living at 3Rd Back House, Hawick, Roxburghshire
John's parents left Hawick and moved to Pittsfield, Massachusetts, USA--John's next of kin information reflects this.
Of course, I would love extra information about 2/Lt John Shannon Ferguson
Please share this with your Hawick friends and neighbours.

I believe John's mother was Mary Annie Shannon born approx 1860 , she is part of a large Shannon family living in Hawick, her brother Daniel Shannon married one of my Crozier family, several of the Shannon  boys died in WW1, pretty sure there would be family still alive in Hawick, have you any contacts in Hawick? I have only researched the Shannon family not the Ferguson,
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Whillans,Wheelans,Scotland.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline LynMeehan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Sunday 17 January 21 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello! I am looking for a photo of William Smith Heatley. He was from the Hawick region and after immigrating to Canada served with the CEF (WWI). I have his service file. Again just looking for a photo of him. I understand there should be one either in the book you are referring to or in one recently published. With thanks. Lyn

Offline Farelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for some information on Pringle Borthwick. He died on the 13th of October 1915.  The information I'm looking for is his Date of Burial in Hawick.

Much thanks in advance.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 17:11 GMT (UK) »
The best way to find burial records is to contact the relevant local authority, in this case Scottish Borders https://www.scotborders.gov.uk/burials-cemeteries/searching-burial-records - if they don't hold the records they will know who does.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Farelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you much appreciated.