Author Topic: Help please with burial details.  (Read 4876 times)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Help please with burial details.
« on: Saturday 20 January 07 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone have the burial records for Duns Cemetery.I am looking for the burial details of John Morrison died in 1876/1886 at Duns lodging house Bridge End,Duns.I dont know if John will have a headstone as he had been abandoned by his family,someone told me that the lodging house at Duns was a similar place to a poorhouse.Johns wife was called Mary Connally.Thankyou for any help.Anne.
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help please with burial details.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 07 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,
Sometimes the pre-1855 M.I. books have later deaths recorded, but that is usually only if there are others in the family buried there. There are no Morrisons or Connallys at all buried in Duns.
The only John Morrisons I can find are in Coldingham. There is a son, John, died 28.08.62, aged 42, son of James Morrison and Janet Hutton, but no sign of a wife. Anyway the date is wrong to be yours. Another is John Morrison, 15.02.79. He was a cooper and his wife was Marrion Hair.
I couldn't find any Connallys at all.
As you say, he probably wouldn't have a headstone. However there will be burial records even for those who had no headstone. 
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 07 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rae,thankyou for trying.I know he did definatly die in Duns,i have his death certificate.
John Morrison died 21/5/1886.
My mam said as far as she knows all the Morrisons in our family are buried at Berwick Civic Cemetary.I cant see someone moving him to Berwick Cemetary if he had no money,can you?.Idont know where he can be if he is not there.Do you know if Duns has only one cemetary,could there be another on the outskirts,maybe he is there.Thankyou again.Anne.

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 07 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, Anne,
The only cemetery I know of is the large one on the outskirts of Duns. Perhaps there is someone local who may be able to help you.
Have you tried 'talkingscot' as well? Someone on there may also help you with the 'no money' problem.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 07 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Have just looked at the website - duns.bordernet.co.uk- which says that the Episcopal Church also has a churchyard which is still in use.
Rae

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 07 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rae,thankyou for your help.I will have a look at the websites you have mentioned,i might not be able to find anything on the Morrisons but i might find other things i am looking for.Thankyou again.Anne.

Offline Tait

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 20:26 BST (UK) »
Anne

There is the parish church graveyard as well. Even if there is no headstone the civic cemetary on the outskirts of Duns would have a lair register held by the Borders Council which lists all burials.

Betty