Author Topic: ADDISON - Woodhorn 1778  (Read 8617 times)

Offline shazzi_b

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
ADDISON - Woodhorn 1778
« on: Saturday 20 January 07 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I wonder if anyone can help me - I have John Addison bn around 1778, christened 21.12.1783, son of John and Mary.  On his wedding cert he is shown as a sailor of Woodhorn parish - also on the 1841 census he was shown as bn woodhorn.  Ive visited the Woodhorn archive, and cant find him (or the parents) on the church records for woodhorn.

any ideas where to go now?

Any ideas welcomed!

thanks

Sharon
Northumberland - Addison, Bowles, Kirkup, Lowes, Mason, Patterson, Richley, Venus, Wardle, Williams
Durham - Pears, Robertson, Richley, richelieu, Summerell
Norfolk and Essex - Bowles, Ninham, Wiseman
Glos - Summerell, Williams

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ADDISON - Woodhorn 1778
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 January 07 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Sharon,

Where did you get his bapt date from ?

And 1841 Census does not give specific birth places. The enumerator simply recorded whether Y (for yes) or N (for no) born in "this county" !

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Patricia jackson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 January 07 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, sharon, just a thought but Woodhorn is only a couple of miles from Newbiggin by sea,  perhaps it is worth checking  out the records for this parish too, the church is St Bartholomews. I have a few Addisons in my family tree, it is probably incidental though  as I think they cam from Warkworth. but they are Alice Addison,Thomas Addison  and also an Ann Addison.   :)
Brown, Twizell, Storey & fenwick  from Northumberland, Parkinson, from Lincolnshire, Kelly, Kinsella  & Mcguire from Ireland. Mellor originally from Derbyshire, Allens from Norfolk and Jackson originally from Sutton Coldfield.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 January 07 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon

Have you looked at http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Woodhorn/ChurchRecords.html

"Adjacent Parishes.
The following parishes are adjacent to Woodhorn:- Bedlington, Bothal, Newbiggin, Widdrington."

Have you checked the records of all those parishes?

Also Bedlington was part of County Durham at one stage. From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedlington :

"Bedlington was made over to the ecclesiastical commissioners in 1866. Bedlingtonshire was made part of Northumberland for civil purposes by acts of parliament in 1832 and 1844."

So on the 1841 census residents of that area would write No to whether they were born in Northumberland, as they were in a small, separated part of Co Durham at that time. Much confusion is created by this because now Bedlington is in Northumberland.

Good luck
Gen List Lass
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 January 07 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Presumably you got the date of baptism from the IGI? This makes quite clear that the record is extracted from the Woodhorn Parish Registers.
Where did you get the date of birth from?
Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shazzi_b

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello - and thanks for all the suggestions - I will now look at the adjacent areas' churches to see if they hold anything.

I have come across another confusing piece of information - the John Addison I am looking for was married to mary Reed, in, as far as I know, Earsdon.  Ive come across an 'Addison John Cresswell' bn abt 1778 married to an Elizabeth Mary Reed.  Is this just a massive coincidence??  As far as I know, Cresswell is in the same type of area as Woodhorn (?).  there is a lot of info about them on rootsweb.

Any thoughts??
Northumberland - Addison, Bowles, Kirkup, Lowes, Mason, Patterson, Richley, Venus, Wardle, Williams

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 21:58 GMT (UK) »
The Baker-Cresswells as in Addison Baker Cresswell of Cresswell Esq were the gentry of Cresswell.  Your John Addison as a sailor does not seem to fit  :)

Whether it is worth following up the Baker-Cresswells to discover where the name Addison as a christian name stems from  I will leave to you :)        A B-C died in 1879 aged 90 years.

Best wishes

Reiver

Offline shazzi_b

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Apparently Addison Baker Cresswells father was a John Addison of Woodhorn and his mother was Elizabeth Cresswell.  The Baker was added after A B-C's wife Elizabeth inherited a fortune from her cousin, John Baker.  It looks like John Addison was renamed John Cresswell in 1807 (info from rootsweb).

So - it boils down to my John Addison(the one at the beginning of this thread), whose father seems to be called John too, both being from Woodhorn, possibly being linked to the Baker-Cresswells? 

Any ideas where I could investigate this further?  looks like a trip to Woodhorn is imminent!

thanks

Sharon

Offline shazzi_b

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 20:57 GMT (UK) »
reading the info on rootsweb again, it maybe that John Addison was A B-C's grandfather - john had twin daughters frances and Grace. frances married Frabcis Easterby, and they had A B-C.  Curiouser and curiouser.............