Author Topic: ADDISON - Woodhorn 1778  (Read 8615 times)

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: ADDISON - Woodhorn 1778
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Shazzi

. . . and perhaps curiouser.

I realised I had a little book about Cresswell and the immediate surrounding villages like Ellington.  The author includes a discussion on the Cresswell pedigree..

Part of it reads (I quote) . . Frances Dorothea married Francis Easterby, an Elder Brother of Trinity House and nephew of John Addison of Woodhorn Demesne.   He (Francis Easterby)  purchased his sister in law's moiety of Cresswell and assumed the name and arms of Crsswell in 1807 (end quote)

Regards
Reiver

Offline shazzi_b

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 21:04 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that Reiver.  Still cant find anything else about John and any possible link to my family  ???

Have spoken to someone who seems to think John (who married Elizabeth) was origianlly from Whitby....  here I go again!!
Northumberland - Addison, Bowles, Kirkup, Lowes, Mason, Patterson, Richley, Venus, Wardle, Williams
Durham - Pears, Robertson, Richley, richelieu, Summerell
Norfolk and Essex - Bowles, Ninham, Wiseman
Glos - Summerell, Williams

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 February 07 23:18 GMT (UK) »

John Addison... " a sailor of Woodhorn parish".

Woodhorn parish gave "birth" to Newbiggin parish ( and to Horton parish also).

But John could not "sail" in or out of any of these places.

He could have fished in fishing boats off Newbiggin or nearby Cresswell, but then he would have been described as a "fisherman"

He could of course have still lived within the parish territory of Woodhorn/Newbiggin and have sailed in/out of the nearby ports/harbours of Amble/Warkworth, Blyth, Tyne, Sunderland, ( and getting father away... Hartlepool, Berwick, Whitby).

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 July 07 15:11 BST (UK) »
Re your query  on John Addison. My ancestor Robert Addison also a sailor in Merchant Service was baptised at Warkworth in 1776. He lived at Hauxley which is just a few miles up the coast from Woodhorn. His father was George.
hope this might help you track yours down.
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline shazzi_b

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 July 07 21:39 BST (UK) »
Stupid question - but how would I know if I found the right John?  If it is very vague over the place of his birth, what can I go on?

any ideas / suggestions welcomed!
Northumberland - Addison, Bowles, Kirkup, Lowes, Mason, Patterson, Richley, Venus, Wardle, Williams
Durham - Pears, Robertson, Richley, richelieu, Summerell
Norfolk and Essex - Bowles, Ninham, Wiseman
Glos - Summerell, Williams

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garyhb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 November 14 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I can answer the bit about Addison Baker Cresswell and his link to his John Addison.

John Addison was  baptized on 11 May 1725 @ Easington in Cleveland, Yorkshire, England. He married Elizabeth Cresswell at Woodhorn, Northumberland 17 Jun 1767. 

John's sister Jane Addison baptized 27 Sep 1720 @ Easington in Cleveland, Yorkshire, England married Francis Easterby (senior) on 5 Jun 1746 @ Easington in Cleveland, Yorkshire, England.

Their son Frances Easterby (junior)  baptized 26 Dec 1761 Whitby, Yorkshire, England marries Frances Dorothea Cresswell who was baptized 18 Jun 1768 at Dorking, St-Martin, Surrey. Frances Dorothea is the niece of Elizabeth Cresswell.

They were married on 6 Dec 1787 @ St-George, Blumsbury, Camden.   In 1787, John Addison dies and Francis (junior) his nephew inherits. Francis & Frances Dorothea's first son was baptized 26 Oct 1788 at St-George, Blumsbury, Camden and named Addison John Easterby.

in 1807, Francis buys out Grace my 5th great grandmother and becomes Francis Cresswell and Addison John Easterby becomes Addison John Cresswell. 

Addison John Cresswell marries Elizabeth Mary Reed on 25 Jun 1818 at St-Giles, Camberwell, Southwark. When her cousin John Baker dies (date?) Addison inherits on condition he takes the Baker name. He then becomes Addison John Baker Cresswell.

Hope this helps with the confusion of the names

Gary

Offline garyhb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 November 14 01:40 GMT (UK) »
I also see a John Addison baptized 21 Dec 1783 at Woodhorn, Northumberland to parents John & Mary. FHL Film Number:    95031

Offline Patricia jackson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 November 14 18:00 GMT (UK) »
I think your John ch 1783 at Woodhorn came from Warkworth. I think his father was John also born Warkworth 1754  I have no details of a mother but I think siblings of John b 1754 are Thomas, George & William I am sure there are probably more  than this though.If this is he  - there is no connection to the Baker-Cresswells of Cresswell.
Brown, Twizell, Storey & fenwick  from Northumberland, Parkinson, from Lincolnshire, Kelly, Kinsella  & Mcguire from Ireland. Mellor originally from Derbyshire, Allens from Norfolk and Jackson originally from Sutton Coldfield.

Offline Moedwards.7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 June 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
hi. would like information about John Addison born 1778 at Woodhorn, Northumberland. He married Mary Reed In Earsdon. Also, I would like to find out about his parents.